Who's drafting these terrible dlinemen?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Week 3, rookie season. Lol.

Thornhill who was available is doing just fine right now. Our 2nd rounder can't even see the roster, much less the field. 2nd rounders are expected to produce pretty soon. Ours can't even make the cut. That is pretty telling.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
How about some context here?

Here are the defensive lineman New England drafted from 2010 through 2016:

Not one guy is still on the New England roster. Most are gone from the league. 1st round draft pick Easley was waived after two seasons in New England.

Why do people keep using NE as a yardstick? They have the best coach/QB to ever be apart of this game. Their room for error is a lot. We don't have room for error with our coaching staff. We can't afford to keep missing high draft picks. They can. They are not on the same rules we are.

They have such a good system in place that it is more about the scheme and gameplans they have. We are strictly talent based. We don't function with lesser talent. NE can afford to do this.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do people keep using NE as a yardstick? They have the best coach/QB to ever be apart of this game. Their room for error is a lot. We don't have room for error with our coaching staff. We can't afford to keep missing high draft picks. They can. They are not on the same rules we are.

They have such a good system in place that it is more about the scheme and gameplans they have. We are strictly talent based. We don't function with lesser talent. NE can afford to do this.

Heck at least someone bothered to do the research...

The fact is the draft as much as we like to think otherwise is a crapshoot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heck at least someone bothered to do the research...

The fact is the draft as much as we like to think otherwise is a crapshoot.
For every team but the Cowboys, I guess.

Every team has misses, Belichick used to draft CB's like candy and finally started signing FA's. How many teams have drafted an OL that was All Pro his rookie season in the last 70 years? One How many teams have 1st round OL picks that have also been picked for the Pro Bowl? One

Wasn't it not too long ago that we were all *****ing about the OL?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Gregory has looked nowhere near great. What games have you watched? He's had a couple solid performances, but far more where he had little impact on the games other than ill-timed stupid penalties.
I was watching the games where in 2018 where he played limited snaps through 14 games with 1 start, and had 6 sacks and 10 QB knockdowns with 25 pressures and 9 hurries.

For comparison, D-Law had 10.5 sacks, 42 pressures, 20 hurries, and 10 QB hits and he started in 15 out of 16 games he played

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
I was watching the games where in 2018 where he played limited snaps through 14 games with 1 start, and had 6 sacks and 10 QB knockdowns with 25 pressures and 9 hurries.

For comparison, D-Law had 10.5 sacks, 42 pressures, 20 hurries, and 10 QB hits and he started in 15 out of 16 games he played
So, basically half of D Law's pass rush production, despite mostly playing on likely passing situations. Ok. Thanks.

Beaker42

Reaction score
So, basically half of D Law's pass rush production, despite mostly playing on likely passing situations. Ok. Thanks.
If you didn’t see flashes last season as to how much he could help our D on both running and passing plays then you’re either being disingenuous or just hating. Gregory is explosive and can hold the edge. One of the dumb penalties against the Saints was ticky tack at best. I’ve seen guys with their entire helmet in the NZ this season and no calls. Refs do have agendas that can be personal, league-driven, or both.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The question was whether he has talent and can be coached. If he is producing half of D-Law's output in nearly 300 fewer snaps, I'd say the talent is there. If you can't see that, it's because you don't want to.

Loso86

Reaction score
Thornhill who was available is doing just fine right now. Our 2nd rounder can't even see the roster, much less the field. 2nd rounders are expected to produce pretty soon. Ours can't even make the cut. That is pretty telling.
Well maybe it's a good sign that we actually have ...oh idk depth

garyo1954

Reaction score
"The Dallas Collective", otherwise known as "The Brain Trust," to this board, "The FO Nincompoops."

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
The question was whether he has talent and can be coached. If he is producing half of D-Law's output in nearly 300 fewer snaps, I'd say the talent is there. If you can't see that, it's because you don't want to.
Oh, I agree the talent is there. My objection is to the statement that he's been great. I think he could've been very good if he cared as much for football as he does weed. It's 4 years down the road now; he's not changing.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
People were calling Tank a bust too...
Who?
Only those that weren't watching. Good playoff performances once healthy his rookie year, followed by a solid 8 sacks and all around play his 2nd. His 3rd year got sidetracked with suspension and injury, but his upward trajectory was evident to anyone really watching.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Oh, I agree the talent is there. My objection is to the statement that he's been great. I think he could've been very good if he cared as much for football as he does weed. It's 4 years down the road now; he's not changing.
I hear you, wish he'd pull it together.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I was told the drafting reform was done under Garrett's tutelage so I'll say Garrett.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Who?
Only those that weren't watching. Good playoff performances once healthy his rookie year, followed by a solid 8 sacks and all around play his 2nd. His 3rd year got sidetracked with suspension and injury, but his upward trajectory was evident to anyone really watching.

Unfortunately i cant go back and find specific people from those first few years but rest assured, there were plenty. Its beyond idiotic to me how anyone can consider Hill to already be a bust, the dude is a developmental player and its 3 freaking weeks into his rookie year. Come now now.

Verdict

Reaction score
Will McClay. The coaches can like whomever but its Wills group that does the majority of the scouting and making recommendations based on the type of player the coaches want. The board is his mostly. I just wish the jonses would go on vacation and let him run the whole draft without any interference but atleast stephen is better than jerry.

Well, to be fair, McClay had Watt over Taco and the team didn’t follow its draft board. At least that is what has been reported.