Who's drafting these terrible dlinemen?

Verdict

Reaction score
Unfortunately i cant go back and find specific people from those first few years but rest assured, there were plenty. Its beyond idiotic to me how anyone can consider Hill to already be a bust, the dude is a developmental player and its 3 freaking weeks into his rookie year. Come now now.

A second round pick is NOT a developmental player unless MAYBE he’s a QB and even then, that’s a reach.

jjktkk

Reaction score
And OTA's..... and weeks of training camp.... and four preseason games. And no spark anywhere to be seen. C'mon, you're being silly disregarding his whole body of work so far.
"His whole body of work" is 6 months. Whatever happened to it usually takes about 3 years to evaluate an NFL player?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if its a good draft pick, its McClay. if its a bad draft pick its one of the coaches, and indirectly Garrett's fault.

If all things and situations were equal and things always worked the same way? Your point would be valid and accurate. But that's not what happened. They deviated from their usual procedures and it cost them - big time.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If all things and situations were equal and things always worked the same way? Your point would be valid and accurate. But that's not what happened. They deviated from their usual procedures and it cost them - big time.
agreed. it tends to happen that way. there was a time that jerry listened to players to make picks, ala Aikman liking LaFleur which was a huge bust or Jerry reaching for players he liked and were popular with fans. I think we have made draft day mistakes in the past by not making small trades up to get players we wanted (and got lucky other times by it not happening)....I think the cowboys liked another DE and once he was off the board a couple of spots ahead of us, then they settled on Charlton. happened years ago when we didn't trade up to get Max Unger and seattle jumped us to pick him, same with Dallas Godert last year. rumors were we liked him and Philly jumped in front of us and picked him and we took Williams and acted like we like him. now we have Williams, McGovern and signed Collins to an extension. seems like waste of a 2 or 3 ifyou expect them to be starters...its good to have depth, but 2nd and 3rd rounders you are looking for down the line starters.

but bad draft picks happen to every team.....given history of the rest of our picks, we can sign this one as a big loss and lets stick to process

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Anxious to see if he's really as good as his PS performance.

Almost certainly not. On such a limited sample, we should expect the top scores to have a significant amount of luck to them. But he probably is significantly better than his draft status alone would indicate.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thornhill who was available is doing just fine right now. Our 2nd rounder can't even see the roster, much less the field. 2nd rounders are expected to produce pretty soon. Ours can't even make the cut. That is pretty telling.
The Cowboys weren't interesting in drafting a safety until day 3. They don't value the position enough to put day 1 or day 2 resources into it when players like Wilson can be had in the 6th round. People keep saying 'Thornhill is doing fine' and all that jazz is nothing but hot air. He simply wasn't getting drafted by the Cowboys.

Our 2nd rounder has been inactive for a reason. It was well documented the reason why the Cowboys did what they did and it made sense. Unfortunately most in here don't want to believe anything but the fact he was inactive. It's like they expected the 58th pick of the draft to stroll in here and average at least a couple sacks a game or something.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
agreed. it tends to happen that way. there was a time that jerry listened to players to make picks, ala Aikman liking LaFleur which was a huge bust or Jerry reaching for players he liked and were popular with fans. I think we have made draft day mistakes in the past by not making small trades up to get players we wanted (and got lucky other times by it not happening)....I think the cowboys liked another DE and once he was off the board a couple of spots ahead of us, then they settled on Charlton. happened years ago when we didn't trade up to get Max Unger and seattle jumped us to pick him, same with Dallas Godert last year. rumors were we liked him and Philly jumped in front of us and picked him and we took Williams and acted like we like him. now we have Williams, McGovern and signed Collins to an extension. seems like waste of a 2 or 3 ifyou expect them to be starters...its good to have depth, but 2nd and 3rd rounders you are looking for down the line starters.

but bad draft picks happen to every team.....given history of the rest of our picks, we can sign this one as a big loss and lets stick to process

A costly lesson to be sure. I hope they learned from it. Let your scouts do the job you pay them for and listen to them when it counts. And let coaches coach and tell them who they're getting, don't ask them who they prefer.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a DE who was recently waived

You wouldn’t know anything about him since he played for the Cowboys

I think you’re saying Taco was a busted pick. Yes, he was. That fact is completely unrelated to the post of mine that you quoted, but he was.

As usual, though, thanks for trying to contribute. A successful forum needs all types: both good posters and guys who try hard.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve never heard of a 2nd rounder being inactive for his first 2 pro reg season contests. Horrible pick.

Have you bothered to check? Or should we just all go off of what you think you can remember?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A costly lesson to be sure. I hope they learned from it. Let your scouts do the job you pay them for and listen to them when it counts. And let coaches coach and tell them who they're getting, don't ask them who they prefer.
agreed. if the scouts give you similar grade and feedback on two players, then coaches can select the player that they think can help them most.....but outside of that scouts....scout :)

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, to be fair, McClay had Watt over Taco and the team didn’t follow its draft board. At least that is what has been reported.

It's mixed on that. some may have and some wanted taco. NFL pre draft analysis had taco graded above watt with the caveat that he needs to get his head together.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Same folks who are drafting the good linebackers lineman quarterbacks and dbs. If we can only get someone who can draft every position we’ll win every Super Bowl.
No.
Rod has far more influence on our dline picks than anywhere else.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Watt could have been an edge rusher to actually play for us as opposed to Gregory who can't stay on the field.