Who's going to start at DE?

lostar2009

Reaction score
Lawrence and they will resign Mincey. Then it will be some other guys filling in. I can't believe this team is in worst shape this year than last year. After spending like 15 million and dropping a 2nd rounder on a so call blue chip player we are stuck.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I don't really think the FO or any one else can answer that question. its a mystery.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Right now, we have no one on the roster until week 5 that is a true starting DE candidate. And Chris Long is in NE and unlikely to sign. Are we putting all our eggs in the Bosa basket (a mistake even if he's available)? I truly dont understand our strategy, unless there is a handshake deal with Hardy in place (for the vet minimum with incentives if he does not get another offer).

We'll pick up a free agent with some starting ability, much like we did with Mincey a couple of years ago, and draft Bosa if he's available IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brutal but true.

Take a look at the top DEs chosen over the past five years and a clear pattern emerges, it takes them several seasons to make an impact.

Even the two best in Ansah and Chandler Jones took a year or two to make themselves forces to be reckoned with.

It is a hard position to scout and the bust rate is absolutely huge.

It is even harder for the prospect to learn what it takes to be an impact pass rusher in this league.

But let's pass on the most valuable position in football for that 'instant impact' that we won't get anyway!

:thumbup:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
But let's pass on the most valuable position in football for that 'instant impact' that we won't get anyway!

:thumbup:

Only a handful of rookies give you instant impact to begin with. The draft should be for the future, unless you are drafting for need.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only a handful of rookies give you instant impact to begin with. The draft should be for the future, unless you are drafting for need.

Tell that to the clowns in charge. They want to be patient and prudent regarding free agency and yet look for instant impact from rookies. Asinine.

LittleD

Reaction score
Jeremiah "Don't Call Me Jay" Mincey. There, I said it.

I think they will work hard to re-sign Jack Crawford and Mincey is a probable who could be brought back for minimal money
to backup. If Bosa is drafted in the 1st he will be the understudy to Lawrence. Irving will also be in the mix for some DE
duty.

LittleD

Reaction score
As for Hardy, who knows what lurks in the mind of Jerry but, Stephen and Jason are not on board with
bringing Hardy back under any circumstances from what I hear. There is also a DE out of Detroit that
might be given a look in place of Mincey. At least he's younger.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We could get Spence, Ogbah??, Dodd, Oakman, Nassib later in the draft

LittleD

Reaction score
I forgot that Ryan Russell is still on the squad and this will be his second year. He might be something as
we saw little of him last year. We will still field a team for the first game of the season so relax and
be patient.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I forgot that Ryan Russell is still on the squad and this will be his second year. He might be something as
we saw little of him last year. We will still field a team for the first game of the season so relax and
be patient.

Another SDE/3T guy. Good for the rotation.

We still need another WDE type.

LittleD

Reaction score
Another SDE/3T guy. Good for the rotation.

We still need another WDE type.

The guy is was pointing to was Jason Jones (DE) Detroit Lions who is 29 with 8 years of experience.
He's not going to be a world beater but, he might be able to hold the fort until something better
becomes available. Will McClay will scour the couches and find us another Selvie you can bet.
It's a long time until the season starts.

LittleD

Reaction score
The Cowboys just re-structured Tyron Smith's deal to free up 7mil.
They are getting ready to do some kind of signing business...