CFZ Why are people getting giddy about Trey Lance?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is my take- Shannahan is a very weird duck and very very rigid.. He thought Jimmy G was a good Qb, and Purdy is new and defenses will make him below average after some tape... Lance got hurt both years and fell behind and him and Shanny didn't jive... Hands down, lance is more talented than Dak ever dreamed of being even though I love Dak... The QB room and coaching over in san fran is helter skelter strange in my opinion and lance never got the time or coaching needed to make the leap, he was thrown into the fire and wasn't ready.. People really underestimate how good fat mike is with Qb's, especially young ones that are needing to grow... I think the Lance deal was a God send for this organization and he will undoubtedly end up a stud in the next couple of years.. I also believe that if Dak gets hurt Lance will excel because this offense is much more Qb friendly than San Frans from all the reports I've read...
That is a very optimistic take. "Undoubtedly end up a stud in the next couple of years?" Well, nobody can accuse you of not taking a stand!

aikemirv

Reaction score
That is a very optimistic take. "Undoubtedly end up a stud in the next couple of years?" Well, nobody can accuse you of not taking a stand!
I think Lance comp is Justin Fields without real true QB experience (1 Yr in FCS is just not much). Great runner and very smart and Justin is still a project in my book.

shabazz

Reaction score
why are dak fans getting all butthurt over a win, win trade? hum... i wonder why?
There’s a couple of them here……the last time I saw them with their panties wadded this bad was when Cooper Rush was on his winning streak.

The funny and sad part about it is their inability to actually hide it…..it oozes out like a LANCED boil.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Lance comp is Justin Fields without real true QB experience (1 Yr in FCS is just not much). Great runner and very smart and Justin is still a project in my book.
Ouch. Fields hasn't shown any development as a passer in two years. Sure, he's a good runner and there's still time and he's had pretty bad weapons, but I wouldn't want him to be my comp.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yep they hated every win, then afterwards gave all the credit to the defense even though he can to make comebacks in several games to win.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Look at our own Rayne Dakota Prescott. He was drafted in the 4th round, never was expected to amount to much because he was 3rd string behind Romo and Dalton. If it weren't for both getting injured in the same season, he would still be #3 QB. He was just lucky to be at the right place at the right time.
This rachere is a patently false narrative. Even if Romo and Moore don't get hurt in 2016 neither of them would be still playing today. Romo would be over 40 and even more broken down 8 years later and Moore was never any good to begin with so Dak would have passed him up in a year or two at most. So the only thing that got changed by those injuries was t hat Dak got to play 2-3 years earlier than they thought. But he was always intended to be a developmental QB that could grow into the starter role. Then again something tells me you already knew all of this and just wanted to troll.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
There’s a couple of them here……the last time I saw them with their panties wadded this bad was when Cooper Rush was on his winning streak.

The funny and sad part about it is their inability to actually hide it…..it oozes out like a LANCED boil.
Lotta projecting going on here. Most people are happy for the kid that he got a second chance and hope he eventually develops into at least a serviceable backup and maybe a legit starter. But nobody thinks he is going to be ready any time soon to even challenge Rush let along Dak. If he had shown any semblance of that kind of ability the 49ers would not have given up on him as they are very much like the Cowboys are in win-now mode. The 49ers LIKE Trey Lance as a person so they traded him to a good situation to go and learn under no pressure. We are at least two years from him even threatening to get on the field other than for a gadget. It is what it is and if he can help my team win the Super Bowl I'm all for it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Andy Dalton is a back up right now. And has been. Let it go.
Not addressing what I said.

Fact 1: The OL was a disaster in 2020.
Fact 2: Dak had the best of that disaster in 2020 (most time with Martin and time with T. Smith - less times with 3rd and 4th stringers).
Fact 3: Dalton played better than Dak last year.

Not mentioned earlier, but notable: when Dalton did have Martin in 2020, even with the other scrubs, his play was very solid.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wait...not when Dak was on his win streak? Whut

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Fact 2: Dak had the best of that disaster in 2020 (most time with Martin and time with T. Smith - less times with 3rd and 4th stringers).

Not mentioned earlier, but notable: when Dalton did have Martin in 2020, even with the other scrubs, his play was very solid.
How did he play better as a backup? What do you constitute as “better”? The fact you are comparing a hurt Dak to a healthy Dalton says it all lol.

If he was so solid why is he a backup?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sorry have to disagree with you on the story behind Eli being drafted. It’s well known that’s Eli said he wasn’t going to play for the chargers and this also included Archie stating as much. The chargers drafted him and had a deal in place to trade Eli to the Giants for Rivers and some draft capital. The draft picks you don’t expand on were given by the Giants to the chargers. Fact is Eli wasn’t ever going to play for the chargers and this was known ahead of his draft day.

Here’s how it all went down:
The San Diego Chargers had the first overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft due to their 4–12 record in 2003.[74] With Manning being the most coveted player in the draft, it appeared that the Chargers' intentions were to draft him first overall. Meanwhile, Manning and his father Archie Manning stated that he would refuse to play for the Chargers if drafted by them.[75] Archie asked the father of former Chargers quarterback Ryan Leaf before the draft about his son's experience with the team. In hearing that the Chargers did not help Leaf with his personal problems, it then became part of why Eli refused to play for the team.[76]

The Chargers selected Manning with the first pick overall nonetheless, as the team had a deal with the New York Giants, whereby the Giants would draft and then trade Philip Rivers and a 2004 third-round pick, used to select placekicker Nate Kaeding; a 2005 first-round pick, used to select linebacker Shawne Merriman; and a 2005 fifth-round pick (which was later traded away) to the Chargers for Manning.[77] He signed a six-year, $45 million contract with the Giants.
He has to be trolling.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
How did he play better as a backup? What do you constitute as “better”? The fact you are comparing a hurt Dak to a healthy Dalton says it all lol.

If he was so solid why is he a backup?
What are you talking about? I was not comparing a hurt Dak to a healthy Dalton. Where did you come up with that idea?

Dak was not hurt when he played in 2020, or in 2022.
Dalton started most of the 2022 season for NO.
Better being better efficiency and all around play.

You're asking me to answer for the decisions of others.
For all I know Bryce Young will be the greatest QB of all time.

Do you watch football, or just Dak?

Steve007

Reaction score
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
I'm not giddy about getting lance. I'm giddy that SF traded three first and a third for a forth. If lance doesn't work out with the Cowboys, it's only a forth. SF has one of the biggest drafts bust in history. If lance turns into a good QB or the Cowboy trades him later for a higer pick then it's a bonus. Then SF looks worse.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What are you talking about? I was not comparing a hurt Dak to a healthy Dalton. Where did you come up with that idea?

Dak was not hurt when he played in 2020, or in 2022.
Dalton started most of the 2022 season for NO.
Better being better efficiency and all around play.

You're asking me to answer for the decisions of others.
For all I know Bryce Young will be the greatest QB of all time.

Do you watch football, or just Dak?
I watch football and Dalton stinks and no one in their right mind even a Dak hater would take Dalton over Dak. Fine backup but you compare him to Cooper Rush level guys.

johneric8

Reaction score
I guess I don't see why it won't happen? He hasn't had a chance yet to show what he can do, and he certainly didn't get the coaching because that was going into other players that were going to play without injuries... I think all of us can agree his intangibles are off the chart, so my take is San Fran is a very weird environment for Qb's in the first place and with trey getting hurt mixed with that havoc ensued.. There is no way that a kid that bright with all those tools won't develop under guys like Fat Mike.. I also think he will watch Dak and learn and take what he does a step further... Like you said, I'm being overly optimistic for sure, but I seriously believe that San Fran is a a fail when it comes to picking the right Qb's and Shanny is a nutcase..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Bahahahhahahahahahaha!