CFZ Why are people getting giddy about Trey Lance?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wow, not a single word of what you wrote is true.

They didn't draft Philip Rivers fourth overall, they drafted Eli Manning first overall. But that's a minor point.
They did that because Brees had disappointed up to that point. But after that, in 2004, Brees lit it up: he was in the running for OPOY that year. His talent was on full display.
And the Chargers suddenly had a problem, which was widely reported and discussed at the time. They had a QB who had become a star, and they had Rivers waiting in the wings.
Between Brees's injury and Rivers's presence, they ended up moving on. But there was no doubt that teams were excited about what a healthy Brees could do (in large part because they'd seen it).
How is what I say not true? Was Brees best years not in New Orleans?

And no, you are incorrect. They HAD the 1st overall pick and yes they preferred Eli Manning but Eli did not want to go there. So they traded draft picks and yes they DID DRAFT Phillip Rivers with the fourth overall pick. If I'm not mistaken they got two 1st rounders for him I BELIEVE....I know Shawn Merriman ended up being the draft pick the following year was from the trade.

You literally confirm exactly what I said....Brees had disappointed up to that point.....what are you even arguing lol? I said exactly that lol.

The fact is, yes they offered Brees a contract but it was heavily incentive based because of the shoulder injury.

krs1bro

Reaction score
Hi DC nation. I did not read the threads here yet but my 2 cents is that end of day DC spent a 4th rounder to roll the dice with this guy. Let it play out folks. I think we will be pleasantly surprised. (hopeful)

Oh yeah. Still laughing at the "expert NFL media" trying to establish some kind of controversy for not talking To No. 4 or MM prior to making this deal. 34 years of the JJ's and they have always done exactly what they want to do and do not care about anyone getting their feelings hurt.

Last edited:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is what I say not true? Was Brees best years not in New Orleans?

And no, you are incorrect. They HAD the 1st overall pick and yes they preferred Eli Manning but Eli did not want to go there. So they traded draft picks and yes they DID DRAFT Phillip Rivers with the fourth overall pick. If I'm not mistaken they got two 1st rounders for him I BELIEVE....I know Shawn Merriman ended up being the draft pick the following year was from the trade.

You literally confirm exactly what I said....Brees had disappointed up to that point.....what are you even arguing lol? I said exactly that lol.

The fact is, yes they offered Brees a contract but it was heavily incentive based because of the shoulder injury.
Hey, how did those goalposts get waaaaaay over there?

Shockingly, you're wrong about the draft and how it went down. I suggest you go look it up.
You said his talent wasn't on display before he got to New Orleans. It was.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hey, how did those goalposts get waaaaaay over there?

Shockingly, you're wrong about the draft and how it went down. I suggest you go look it up.
You said his talent wasn't on display before he got to New Orleans. It was.
I VERBATIM said "Brees HOF career started with the Saints." and "his talent wasn't on full display". There's no goal posts moving you're just choosing to read what you want for whatever eason.

And I don't have to look anything up. Eli Manning was drafted with the 1st overall pick that came from the Chargers. I suggest YOU go look it up.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I VERBATIM said "Brees HOF career started with the Saints." and "his talent wasn't on full display". There's no goal posts moving you're just choosing to read what you want for whatever eason.

And I don't have to look anything up. Eli Manning was drafted with the 1st overall pick that came from the Chargers. I suggest YOU go look it up.
The Chargers drafted Manning with the first overall pick. The Giants drafted Rivers with the 4th pick. Then, during the draft, they traded the players and some picks. You can read all about it here, though I doubt you will since you don't believe in checking your facts: https://boltbeat.com/2020/05/30/la-chargers-eli-manning-philip-rivers-robbery/

Here's what you said: "Brees HOF career started with the Saints. ITs a fact. Maybe you have a great eye and saw his talent in SD. Good for you. But his talent wasn't on full display until he got to NO with Sean Payton." Note the third sentence that you conveniently ignore here, where you imply that nobody saw his talent in SD. Everybody saw his talent in SD. That's why teams made the offers they did, even with the uncertainty about his shoulder. And I have no idea what "his HOF career started with the Saints" is supposed to mean. It obviously started with the Chargers, with that big season in 2004. When a player makes the Pro Bowl, wins Comeback Player of the Year, and finishes 3rd among QBs for Offensive Player of the Year, you can't pretend that he hadn't yet established himself as a top tier QB or that his HOF career had somehow not yet started.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Chargers drafted Manning with the first overall pick. The Giants drafted Rivers with the 4th pick. Then, during the draft, they traded the players and some picks. You can read all about it here, though I doubt you will since you don't believe in checking your facts: https://boltbeat.com/2020/05/30/la-chargers-eli-manning-philip-rivers-robbery/

Here's what you said: "Brees HOF career started with the Saints. ITs a fact. Maybe you have a great eye and saw his talent in SD. Good for you. But his talent wasn't on full display until he got to NO with Sean Payton." Note the third sentence that you conveniently ignore here, where you imply that nobody saw his talent in SD. Everybody saw his talent in SD. That's why teams made the offers they did, even with the uncertainty about his shoulder. And I have no idea what "his HOF career started with the Saints" is supposed to mean. It obviously started with the Chargers, with that big season in 2004. When a player makes the Pro Bowl, wins Comeback Player of the Year, and finishes 3rd among QBs for Offensive Player of the Year, you can't pretend that he hadn't yet established himself as a top tier QB or that his HOF career had somehow not yet started.
I never said no one saw his talent. I said no one thought he’d be a hall of famer based on his SD days.
You think 2004 was a hall of fame level season? This has to be a joke.
So let me get this straight…..so you think the Chargers drafted Rivers with the first overall pick?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said no one saw his talent. I said no one thought he’d be a hall of famer based on his SD days.
You think 2004 was a hall of fame level season? This has to be a joke.
So let me get this straight…..so you think the Chargers drafted Rivers with the first overall pick?
So you didn’t read a single word I wrote. The very first sentence of my post you’re replying to says, “The Chargers drafted Manning with the first overall pick.” Which is exactly what happened. We agree on one thing: this is a joke.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So you didn’t read a single word I wrote. The very first sentence of my post you’re replying to says, “The Chargers drafted Manning with the first overall pick.” Which is exactly what happened. We agree on one thing: this is a joke.
Ok. Chargers drafted Eli and got them 2 rings. Got it.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. Chargers drafted Eli and got them 2 rings. Got it.
Go back. Read my post. Read it twice if you have to. I explained the whole thing. Or go to Eli Manning’s Wikipedia page or pro-football-reference page, which will both tell you that he was drafted first overall by the Chargers. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?

If you’re trolling, well then, whatever.

GMO415

Reaction score
Jerry is NOT paying Dak $60 million a year for the same results. This will be Lance's team during TC 2024.
Learn it
Love it
Live it

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
Physically talented kid who has played little football since 2019. The notion that a 23 year old is "a bust" is a product of the internet generation - the need to call it first. :rolleyes:

Expectations in San Fran were too high for him. Now, no one expects anything. He's still 6'3", 225 lbs, and can throw a football. Let's see what he does with it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Who cares?

At the end of the day, Brees has an up year in 2004 and then regressed in 2005 which got him traded. He absolutely raised his level of play and consistency once reaching NO.

Your initial argument was about how there were no QBs who elevated their play after a fresh start. Brees fits as do several others that were presented to you like Smith and Gannon.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Why are people getting giddy about Trey Lance?

Why Not!! People like to get giddy about something. No one is getting giddy about Dak. They have good feelings about Dak perhaps, but I would not describe the feelings as 'giddy.'

Makes no difference if Trey is all that, or not.

For now, let's get giddy wid it! :cool: :dance:

plymkr

Reaction score
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
Good post. You bring up good discussion points. When reading it I feel your points are valid but in a glass is half empty kind of way. Examples:
1. Shanny may not have wanted him. I’ve read that Lynch and the owner wanted Lance but Shanahan wasn’t high on the idea.
2. Injuries hurt his progress and transition into the NFL.
3. We don’t have to pay him the 5th year option. In all likelihood Trey will sit for 2 years. At that point we can decline his 5th year option and then resign him to backup QB money, ala Cooper Rush type contract. If Lance doesn’t see the field for 2 seasons I highly doubt there will be competition for his services to drive up the price.

Here’s why I’m “giddy” about the Lance trade. I’m happy we have someone on the roster with his physical pedigree that we can develop. If he sits for 2 years under Dak then Dak will be a 10 year veteran. Who knows how long Dak will play after 10 years in the league and if he’ll be effective. If Dak were to go out like Romo and Aikman then I feel good knowing we have a developmental QB with the physical tools to be a franchise guy. If he’s not then at least we didn’t use a 1st in him and learn the hard way. I’m not excited for Lance for the 2023 or 2024 seasons. After that I feel we’ll know if the trade pays off.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Go back. Read my post. Read it twice if you have to. I explained the whole thing. Or go to Eli Manning’s Wikipedia page or pro-football-reference page, which will both tell you that he was drafted first overall by the Chargers. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?

If you’re trolling, well then, whatever.
The issue I’m having is you’re saying I’m wrong because I said Rivers was drafted 4th overall by the Chargers…..which is such a stupid thing to argue against because what you’re saying is actually worse. They had Brees and used a 1st overall on Eli. I’m not gonna go back and forth on this I just disagree. That’s all I can say.