Why are so many Cowboys fans obsessed with WR?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The real question is behind closed doors when management and coaching discuss the offense and Lamb as a WR1, what do they really think?

Second question is why is Cooper really gone? The money? Or did his behavior regarding NFL protocols and openly questioning the QB's ability to locate him and deliver the ball make him expendable. Think it was a coincidence that Beasley did the same thing and they didn't even attempt to keep him.

If I am right and it is not really about the money then that doesn't mean they're sold on Lamb sliding into that spot and significantly increasing his production. They kept Gallup for insurance but he is unlikely to be ready for the season.

I think it comes down to OG v WR and it could very well be the best of those two on the board, if they stay where they are now.

There are 7-10 WR's that could go in the 1st round and with what Adams and Hill just got as contracts, the interest in 1st contract WR's might just increase. Not a good QB draft, unlikely RB's or TE's go in the 1st.

And there is an added incentive for a WR in the 1st round with these contracts, a team can use the option for their 5th year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Walter Football had Taco ranked as the no. 2 DE, just behind Myles Garrett.
Sporting News had him at no. 6 DE.
Sb Nation had him at no. 6 DE.
PFF had him no. 28 overall.

Not BPA, but he was "close". Mainly because of potential, most sites had him as being raw as an NFL DE, but his ceiling was very high.

Not that I agreed with his selection, but it's not like he was considered a mediocre player...
Charleton was Spears, good player on a very good defense but neither were in the top 3 best D players on their own teams.

conner01

Reaction score
Walter Football had Taco ranked as the no. 2 DE, just behind Myles Garrett.
Sporting News had him at no. 6 DE.
Sb Nation had him at no. 6 DE.
PFF had him no. 28 overall.

Not BPA, but he was "close". Mainly because of potential, most sites had him as being raw as an NFL DE, but his ceiling was very high.

Not that I agreed with his selection, but it's not like he was considered a mediocre player...
Mayock had him 49 overall
Sporting news had him at 32
Comparing him to other DE’s is the problem
Comparing him to who was available

Croomraider

Reaction score
Furthermore, aerial offenses sell tickets. So you need wide receivers for an aerial offensive display. Jerry loves his explosive offense because it brings butts to stadium seats.

It's not just for selling tickets... it's what wins championships!! Cooper Kupp was MVP of the Super Bowl! Godwin/Evans were dominate the year before. Chiefs wideouts year before that!! We've had a wideout win a super bowl MVP and a Heisman in recent years. The position is at an all time importance.

The rules have changed in the nfl, defenses can't defend as well. Wideouts aren't scared of going over the middle. Offense is everything! For the record, I only enjoy defense, all of my cowboy's jerseys are defensive guys, but NFL is run by Offense. Wideouts are GOLD!

kskboys

Reaction score
Mayock had him 49 overall
Sporting news had him at 32
Comparing him to other DE’s is the problem
Comparing him to who was available
No using a horrific strategy, BPA, is the problem. Way too much involved to just take any player willynilly.

kskboys

Reaction score
Using need to draft is a proven failure
I don’t remember many people having taco rated higher than watt either. Some felt he was only a 3/4 guy though
You must've not been conversing w/ many people or doing much research then. Watt was mostly rated lower.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Or did his behavior regarding NFL protocols and openly questioning the QB's ability to locate him and deliver the ball make him expendable. Think it was a coincidence that Beasley did the same thing and they didn't even attempt to keep him.
this is it. you don't hurt the baby dak's feelings. ask dez too. never ask for the ball in the huddle when your QB is in fear, or you'll be out of here.

conner01

Reaction score
You must've not been conversing w/ many people or doing much research then. Watt was mostly rated lower.
Because he was seen as just a 3/4 guy
But lots of players at other positions were still on the board when we took taco who was rated much higher than taco
Every time this team has drafted a lesser player to fill a position it has failed

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's not just for selling tickets... it's what wins championships!! Cooper Kupp was MVP of the Super Bowl! Godwin/Evans were dominate the year before. Chiefs wideouts year before that!! We've had a wideout win a super bowl MVP and a Heisman in recent years. The position is at an all time importance.
The rules have changed in the nfl, defenses can't defend as well. Wideouts aren't scared of going over the middle. Offense is everything! For the record, I only enjoy defense, all of my cowboy's jerseys are defensive guys, but NFL is run by Offense. Wideouts are GOLD![/QUOTE]

With all due respect, the Bucs won because of defense. Brady had games where he threw multiple picks. But his defense kept him in the game. So did the Rams defense. If not for the front-four stepping up in the second half, the Bengals would have won their first championship.

Yes, wide receiver play an important role. But a team can get by with average-to-good receivers (see the Giants, the Patriots, the Seahawks, the Broncos, the Ravens, the Eagles Super Bowl-winning teams). If you don't have a strong-to-great defense, you're likely not winning the Super Bowl.

Give me a highly ranked defensive player over a great receiver any day.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because he was seen as just a 3/4 guy
But lots of players at other positions were still on the board when we took taco who was rated much higher than taco
Every time this team has drafted a lesser player to fill a position it has failed
No, there weren't. You're simply trying to promote BPA.

kskboys

Reaction score
The rules have changed in the nfl, defenses can't defend as well. Wideouts aren't scared of going over the middle. Offense is everything! For the record, I only enjoy defense, all of my cowboy's jerseys are defensive guys, but NFL is run by Offense. Wideouts are GOLD!

With all due respect, the Bucs won because of defense. Brady had games where he threw multiple picks. But his defense kept him in the game. So did the Rams defense. If not for the front-four stepping up in the second half, the Bengals would have won their first championship.

Yes, wide receiver play an important role. But a team can get by with average-to-good receivers (see the Giants, the Patriots, the Seahawks, the Broncos, the Ravens, the Eagles Super Bowl-winning teams). If you don't have a strong-to-great defense, you're likely not winning the Super Bowl.

Give me a highly ranked defensive player over a great receiver any day.[/QUOTE]
Kupp is the WR you need. A route running fiend. BTW, he is not a deep threat.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Give me a highly ranked defensive player over a great receiver any day.
Kupp is the WR you need. A route running fiend. BTW, he is not a deep threat.[/QUOTE]
I'm still taking a top-notch defensive player than a top-notch wide receiver.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Take a fat boring offensive or defensive lineman. But this is the Cowboys, the home of the Arkansas hillbilly circus.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
It's amazing to see how many people are in support of drafting a WR in the first round or even the first 3 rounds. It seems like this is the case almost every year no matter what. This is also in spite of the fact that our two best teams since the 90's were heavy running teams (2014 and 2016). Furthermore, Dak is an average QB so the best thing you can do for him is run the ball more.

Like most years, WR is the least of our worries. We just drafted one in the first round and signed another to a big contract. Washington will be a fine third receiver. We have a million other needs so drafting a WR before round 5 would be incredibly stupid. Unfortunately our front office is also obsessed with WR's so lets hope that none fall to them.

Because the top 10 teams are averagng 30 points per game now and most rbs (esp ours) only avg scoring about 1 TD every other game. Js

Most teams just run the ball to control the clock, make 3rd down more manageable, and draw more coverage away from the tes and wrs.

It's too bad we're not wheeling and dealing every year to get that Stud receiving Te instead

We wouldn't really need three filet mignons at wr if we had top tier te that could draw some coverage away from them.

All we got is the Philly te Special. Lol

Those sorry eagles have 3
1st round picks. The odds are they're gonna draft a Linebacker who can cover our te prince and he'll prolly turn back into a 4 TD a year pumpkin.

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
can we draft nothing but wr's, and te's and a few rb's this draft? dak needs help.