Why are the standards for this franchise so low?

kskboys

Reaction score
Give me an example of a coach coaching a team as long as Garrett and then breaking through to win the Super Bowl in the last 35 years.
Coughlin is close, he didn't win one w/ the Gnats until his 7th year.

Number1

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring since Garrett came to the Cowboys....fired.

Tom Coughlin had 8 playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl rings since Garrett came to the Cowboys...ran out of town.

Andy Reid had 10 playoff wins, 6 division titles, 5 conference championship appearances.....ran out of Philly.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years, yet he wins one overhyped regular season game, it might be time for an extension.

Where did this franchise go wrong? :facepalm:

maybe the standards are higher than you imagine

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike McCarthy has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring since Garrett came to the Cowboys....fired.

Tom Coughlin had 8 playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl rings since Garrett came to the Cowboys...ran out of town.

Andy Reid had 10 playoff wins, 6 division titles, 5 conference championship appearances.....ran out of Philly.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years, yet he wins one overhyped regular season game, it might be time for an extension.

Did somebody at CZ say he should get an extension?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Seems like most people are answering two different questions.

For Jerry, we know long ago the standard moved from true success on the field to financial success. Comfortability and profits over winning.

The way I took the question was for the fanbase. And for that I blame the media. For almost a decade they've happily pumped the Garrett line. It wasn't that long ago that Phillips' second 9-7 season was widely called the most disappointing season in Cowboys history and cause for immediate firing.

But with Garrett, it's different. Three 8-8s to miss the playoffs by a game? That's fine, and even laudable because we didn't have Pro Bowl talent at every position. One playoff win in seven years? Be happy fans, the team tries hard. Repeated clock and game management gaffes to lose games? Oh well, we'll watch the tape and get 'em next week.

The Dallas media no longer care if the team is good as long as they're entertaining. Seems the Dallas media is cozy and comfortable with the way things are. They're as big a part of Jerry's Country Club as anyone.

morat1959

Reaction score

For Jerry, we know long ago the standard moved from true success on the field to financial success. Comfortability and profits over winning.

The way I took the question was for the fanbase. And for that I blame the media. For almost a decade they've happily pumped the Garrett line. It wasn't that long ago that Phillips' second 9-7 season was widely called the most disappointing season in Cowboys history and cause for immediate firing.

But with Garrett, it's different. Three 8-8s to miss the playoffs by a game? That's fine, and even laudable because we didn't have Pro Bowl talent at every position. One playoff win in seven years? Be happy fans, the team tries hard. Repeated clock and game management gaffes to lose games? Oh well, we'll watch the tape and get 'em next week.

The Dallas media no longer care if the team is good as long as they're entertaining. Seems the Dallas media is cozy and comfortable with the way things are. They're as big a part of Jerry's Country Club as anyone.
Well said!

Diehardblues

Reaction score

When Jerry placed receiving credit above what’s best for Cowboys Football.

Winning championships wasn’t enough for Jerry with Jimmy unless he received the credit he felt he deserved.

jjktkk

Reaction score

This team is on a 4 game win streak, yet you felt the need to make another whine thread...

TheCritic

Reaction score
Reading some of the replies, some of you wouldn't have survived the Landry era. It took 11 years before he won his first NFL championship. Think of Garrett as another of those slow-cookers who will produce among the greatest of Dallas Cowboys teams once it's said and done.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score

A refreshing post from someone who has become less active over the years.

Ahh this forum has changed my friend. For the worst. Best not to ask legitimate questions in this “troll”-zone anymore.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Win a playoff game and Garrett can stay. Don't win a playoff game and we need a new head coach. It's a simple as that for me. 8 years and only 1 playoff win wouldn't suffice.
We havent had many good teams in those 8 years. And that’s more Jerry and Stephen Jones fault than JG since they’re FO....

2010-13 we didn’t have a good roster. Dez and Romo push us into postseason contention...just couldn’t win game 17.

2015 was derailed because of injuries.

This is the first year where you can unbiasly say it’s make or break for Garrett based on expectations

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We havent had many good teams in those 8 years. And that’s more Jerry and Stephen Jones fault than JG since they’re FO....

2010-13 we didn’t have a good roster. Dez and Romo push us into postseason contention...just couldn’t win game 17.

2015 was derailed because of injuries.

This is the first year where you can unbiasly say it’s make or break for Garrett based on expectations
While the roster wasn’t great from 2011-2013, it was plenty good enough not to miss the playoffs all 3 years. I used to simply claim the roster wasn’t good enough as a defense of Garrett while I wholeheartedly believed in giving the process time to be implemented. However, I took an unbaised look at individual games rather than the seasons as a whole. What I realized is there were way too many squandered opportunities in those years making the season much harder than it needed to be. I don’t think the team had a shot at the SB, but not making the playoffs all 3 years shouldn’t be acceptable.

As for 2015, we were derailed by injuries. That said, going 1-11 with backup QBs is totally unacceptable. We even struggled to win the 3 games with Tony Romo, and that was 1 year after the team looked like the process was going to actually work.

I would be more tolerant of missing the playoffs from 2011-2013 if some of the causes for squandering games were used as a learning opportunity for Garrett, but the same mistakes in game/time management have kept occurring.

doomsday808

Reaction score
The only thing that matters. People buy tickets and watch Cowboy games whether they are fans or not. We fans continue to buy gear. ONE playoff win in 8 years!!

sales_growth-512.png

kskboys

Reaction score
While the roster wasn’t great from 2011-2013, it was plenty good enough not to miss the playoffs all 3 years. I used to simply claim the roster wasn’t good enough as a defense of Garrett while I wholeheartedly believed in giving the process time to be implemented. However, I took an unbaised look at individual games rather than the seasons as a whole. What I realized is there were way too many squandered opportunities in those years making the season much harder than it needed to be. I don’t think the team had a shot at the SB, but not making the playoffs all 3 years shouldn’t be acceptable.

As for 2015, we were derailed by injuries. That said, going 1-11 with backup QBs is totally unacceptable. We even struggled to win the 3 games with Tony Romo, and that was 1 year after the team looked like the process was going to actually work.

I would be more tolerant of missing the playoffs from 2011-2013 if some of the causes for squandering games were used as a learning opportunity for Garrett, but the same mistakes in game/time management have kept occurring.
Yeah, when we looked so bad w/ QB's who proved to be viable backups elsewhere, I started seeing the light myself.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2011-2013 Cowboys historically had some of our worst defenses in Cowboy history. Some set NFL futility marks.

There was a stat in which defenses with those particular stats had never won more than 5 games in a season.

That stretch sold me how valuable Romo was which we were a 4 or 5 win team at best without him. He masked our weaknesses so well we appeared to be closer to a playoff team than we were.

The fact we were even in it until week 17 was a testament to Romo and Garrett holding the team together thru some distractions like the death of a player.

Those were rebuilding and retooling seasons where we were able to stay competitive mostly because of Romo.

2014 was the culmination of that rebuilding. And the closet we came to a championship appearance since 2007. Unfortunately those Tripletts never took the field together again.

The effects were felt in 2015 even with Romo without Murray and an injured Dez. All contributing factors not mentioned in this discussion.

romothesavior

Reaction score
I'd say getting the team to believe and play hard is at least 80% of the responsibility.
The notion that a head coach's primary responsibility is to be a cheerleader to make multimillionaire professional athletes "believe" and "play hard" is absolute nonsense.

romothesavior

Reaction score

Soooooo well put.