Why are the standards for this franchise so low?

birdwells1

Reaction score
So what?
That has zero to do with who will win one next.
Makes same difference as us having 5 SBs has on this season.

It is about the next game.
Dallas has won 4 next games in a row.
Perhaps stop crying long enough to enjoy that?

It's called Stockholm Syndrome

Stockholm syndrome is a condition that causes hostages fans to develop a psychological alliance with their captors front office as a survival strategy during captivity.[1] These alliances, resulting from a bond formed between captor and captives fans during intimate time spent together, are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims.

birdwells1

Reaction score
You sure about that? Let me help you. That's wrong.

Anyway, what's this magical plan you envision for finding a coach capable of winning the Superbowl? Don't tell me, I'm guessing you mean to use the typical fan approach; heck, this ain't working so let's try that other thing that we have not yet tried. That will surely be better than we we're doing now.

Or, is it the one where you think a wizard offensive genius will turn Dak into Joe friggen Montana? Or perhaps you want the yell and scream guy that doesn't take any stuff from anyone?

None of that stuff matters. Have a vision, get the guys to buy in and play hard, and see what happens. That's the job of the coach and Garrett does that well. He is an elite leader.

Give me an example of a coach coaching a team as long as Garrett and then breaking through to win the Super Bowl in the last 35 years.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
an argument could be made that if the cowboys moved up to draft cox instead of claiborne that we'd have at least an NFC title right now. he's that good.
DAL really liked Cox in that draft too and he was a rumored choice had we sat pat... they simply had 1st overall grades on Mo.
Our scouts loved him.

He is a really good player to this day but he was never as good as Cox has been that's for sure.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Mike McCarty "ran out of town".... we'll see how good a move that is. Easy to blame coaching. That will show up in the Packers play in 2019 and moving forward. See the Raiders and Lions and teams with new HC's in 2018

Tom Coughlin… we know how good a move that was. See the Giants record since. Sheli lost his mentor

Andy Reid nestled softly in KC and has accomplished more there than the Iggles have since in playoff appearances. Good move by the Iggs? debateable

Would say this, when the locker room is a mess, when the HC looses control AND when the team is no longer playing well for him, it's time to move on from the HC. See Wade Phillips. That is not the case for JG. Apparently we need more disgruntled players and locker room problems :rolleyes:.

Fact: in spite of losing starting and back up QB's in 2016, in spite of the crap show with Zeke in 2017and despite the 3-5 start in 2018 we have a record of 29-14 over those 3 years (so far), a playoff game in 2016 where we lost by a Rogers magic act and headed towards the playoffs in 2018. I would say the team is playing well for their HC. seemingly to your dissatisfaction. JMO. In sports the HC or manager is always the scapegoat when the teams they coach don't play well. Some times that is the case and some times it is not.

The examples you sited would suggest that two of the teams teams may have been better served to keep their HC's because their success has not been great since they were "run out of town". I know you will bring up the Iggles SB win but man, that's one year of success since the exit of Andy Reid. I'm thinking the Jags and Chiefs are reasonably happy with both Coughlin and Reid. Some team will get a good HC in McCarthy too. The question is, will the Packers reap the benefits of a new HC in 2019 or will another team reap the benefits of them running McCarthy "out of town"
I really could care less what this does to the Packers or McCarthy.

Nobody gave a rats *** when we fired Phillips.

Rogers has shot his mouth off about so much that maybe he should coach.

He's quickly fading on his career.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I really could care less what this does to the Packers or McCarthy.

Nobody gave a rats *** when we fired Phillips.

Rogers has shot his mouth off about so much that maybe he should coach.

He's quickly fading on his career.

Yep, I don't care either. If Rodgers was the leading cause of McCarthy getting run out of town, some team will get a good HC and some team will be left with a whiny assed QB who's health is starting to be an issue. Disappointed Packers fans? I would be with so much hot air after the one and only SB in the Rodgers/McCarthy era

birdwells1

Reaction score
Way to move the goal posts buddy.

Ima sit this right here.

This is strikingly common in NFL history. Of the 31 head coaches to win at least one Super Bowl, 27 of them won their first championship within the first five seasons with that team. Only Chuck Noll (six years in Pittsburgh), John Madden (eight years in Oakland), Tom Landry (12 years in Dallas) and Bill Cowher (14 years in Pittsburgh) needed more than five years to capture that elusive first ring.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring since Garrett came to the Cowboys....fired.

Tom Coughlin had 8 playoff wins and 2 Super Bowl rings since Garrett came to the Cowboys...ran out of town.

Andy Reid had 10 playoff wins, 6 division titles, 5 conference championship appearances.....ran out of Philly.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years, yet he wins one overhyped regular season game, it might be time for an extension.

Where did this franchise go wrong? :facepalm:
never thought of it like that. One big difference is that JG has family ties to this franchise, there are two others in his family that are tied to them. We all know JJ likes to keep it in the family.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Mike McCarty "ran out of town".... we'll see how good a move that is. Easy to blame coaching. That will show up in the Packers play in 2019 and moving forward. See the Raiders and Lions and teams with new HC's in 2018

Tom Coughlin… we know how good a move that was. See the Giants record since. Sheli lost his mentor

Andy Reid nestled softly in KC and has accomplished more there than the Iggles have since in playoff appearances. Good move by the Iggs? debateable

Would say this, when the locker room is a mess, when the HC looses control AND when the team is no longer playing well for him, it's time to move on from the HC. See Wade Phillips. That is not the case for JG. Apparently we need more disgruntled players and locker room problems :rolleyes:.

Fact: in spite of losing starting and back up QB's in 2016, in spite of the crap show with Zeke in 2017and despite the 3-5 start in 2018 we have a record of 29-14 over those 3 years (so far), a playoff game in 2016 where we lost by a Rogers magic act and headed towards the playoffs in 2018. I would say the team is playing well for their HC. seemingly to your dissatisfaction. JMO. In sports the HC or manager is always the scapegoat when the teams they coach don't play well. Some times that is the case and some times it is not.

The examples you sited would suggest that two of the teams teams may have been better served to keep their HC's because their success has not been great since they were "run out of town". I know you will bring up the Iggles SB win but man, that's one year of success since the exit of Andy Reid. I'm thinking the Jags and Chiefs are reasonably happy with both Coughlin and Reid. Some team will get a good HC in McCarthy too. The question is, will the Packers reap the benefits of a new HC in 2019 or will another team reap the benefits of them running McCarthy "out of town"

I agree with a lot of your post but, Garrett does not compare with any of the HCs mentioned. The poster is right, IMO. Garrett should be gone but hey, thats not going to happen so yeah....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Did i get something wrong? I thought we were on a four game winning streak, just beat the best team in the NFC, and are currently 1st in the division.

Why exactly are we whining again?

seen this show before, thats why.

Batman1980

Reaction score
never thought of it like that. One big difference is that JG has family ties to this franchise, there are two others in his family that are tied to them. We all know JJ likes to keep it in the family.

I will never understand why franchises continue to hold onto coaches long after they prove they can't get it done.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
The question is, will the Packers reap the benefits of a new HC in 2019 or will another team reap the benefits of them running McCarthy "out of town"
As much as I can not stand ole chub butt McCarthy, my hope is he goes over in their division, and makes Rodgers head explode as they beat his welp behind season in, and season out.. now that makes me smile...:grin:

jnday

Reaction score
These younger fans don’t know how it feels to see Dallas win. I remember going to the playoffs every year when Landry was coaching. A playoff win was unacceptable, Dallas fans expected Super Bowls. It is disgusting to see how low fan’s expectations are. They will make excuses for every average player and coach . I miss the days when Dallas fans had class , but they also was arrogant. They knew that Dallas was years ahead of other teams and losing was not an option. Dallas fans did not accept losing under no circumstances. Yeah, I miss being a fan of the best team in the league.

kskboys

Reaction score
an argument could be made that if the cowboys moved up to draft cox instead of claiborne that we'd have at least an NFC title right now. he's that good.
I was so excited, because that's who I thought we were trading up to get. I should've known better.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
You know fellas and lady....I had to take a big look in the mirror at one point in my life and ask myself the same thing. If your expectation for the Cowboy franchise is low than guys and girl....Your expectation for your own franchise is low. Maybe some of these dudes and chick....on here need to feed on their own yardage they accumulate throughout their daily routine.

morat1959

Reaction score
So if he goes 9-7 for 10 more years and doesn't make the NFCCG you ok with that? If not then when do you say enough is enough? You post is what this thread is about, lowering standards. Winning Super Bowls used to be what the Cowboys were about not just winning games.
Nail on the head. They’re all drunk on Jerry’s koolaid!