Why are we in a rush to sign Dak?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Listen to the records predicted to the question at 8:42. What would the prediction be if it were another NFL QB that you really trusted? We all know who those QB's are. If we are predicting 1-3 or 2-2, what in the hell does that say about confidence in Dak's ability to go on a playoff run against the better teams? Especially if it's the Wild Card route. I think their answers SPEAK VOLUMES about the actual situation we are in, which is Booger and Chuckles inability to switch gears on the fly. I would call it paralysis by analysis, but that would be incorrect....there is zero analysis going on....only paralysis due to their own lack of confidence in making Howie Roseman type decisions. Signing Dak prior to letting 2023 run its course, would be asinine beyond belief.

Salary cap ramifications?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Good! Use next year's 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB, plus sign a free agent vet on a team friendly 2 year deal. Gives the rookie time to get ready.

Or do you prefer paying $50+ million/year while limiting even more the team's salary cap going forward with so many other key players due for a contract extension?

I want to hear how your plan would work.

Remember, there is no bigger Dak supporter around here than me, but there comes a point where you simply can't keep overpaying any QB at the detriment of the team.
Where is America's Cowboy and what have you done to him?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Where is America's Cowboy and what have you done to him?
lol. Always been here. Just tired of seeing players overpaid. Dak clearly wanted to get overpaid, and he already did while holding the team hostage. Now, he needs to do the right thing and give the team a good discount so the Cowboys can afford to keep other key players on the team. Other QBs have done that after getting paid bigly the first time (ie...Romo, Brady, Roethlisberger, Garoppolo, etc). Dak needs to step up and help the team the way the front office and team already did for him. If Dak refuses and just wants to be greedy, get rid of his @$$! Simple as that. No one should be above the team. Dak needs to set the right example after already have gotten paid. If not, bye!

krs1bro

Reaction score
The contract extension will happen unfortunately. We all do not have confidence in Dak as he has proven too many times to play like its his
first nfl game when it matters the most. He has to grow a pair to change this narrative. I hope so......dam.

nobody

Reaction score
I have no problem making Dak play 2023 and determine what he deserves in an extension. I also want to see Dak force his agent to give the Cowboys a discount if an extension is given to Dak. If Dak and his agent refuse to give a discount, definitely draft his replacement early in next year's draft. Tired of overpaying QBs, especially those who hold the team hostage.
I am totally on board with this, brother. I thought we should have drafted a QB instead of a TE to sit behind Dak as we should constantly be developing them rather than rely on iffy retreads as our backups.

I don't think Dak will give a discount. It would be cool if he did, but I doubt he will.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They did that last contract and it burnt them in the end. I’m all for extending him as soon as possible.
:huh: .........that's confirmed it, the sensible option is to move on.
Cap hell spending another 5 - 7 M per year??? So you would rather suck with Dak for 3-4 more years than have money to sign another retread FA?
The option isnt a retread, it's probably the good quality/quantity QB draft class in 2024 (and a roster supplemented by a CAP saving $34m which increases the available CAP to $65m).
We are going to (at some point) Talk about Dak, if he doesnt do it as a 30 year old, it's time to have that conversation is then (rather than throwing even more money on a hope).

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I am totally on board with this, brother. I thought we should have drafted a QB instead of a TE to sit behind Dak as we should constantly be developing them rather than rely on iffy retreads as our backups.

I don't think Dak will give a discount. It would be cool if he did, but I doubt he will.
Actually most qb wont give a discount. Rodger didnt give the jets a discount, but he didnt ask for a raise lol.
Ravens got no discount with the bozo they just over paid. Browns gave the most ridiculous contract to a mediocre qb who is also a pervert lol.

I bash dallas, but those 2 teams just killed their near futures. And the jets are not ready for a SB run, and rodgers only signed for 1 year.
What were the jets thinking?? It had to be they think they can get to SB this season !

I guess those 3 think they can get by buffalo,cin, KC easily lol and each other lol and get to SB in 23

Dallas is similar, made some moves, got a DT and think they are getting to SB in 23. It is more possible for dallas, to get to SB than the above afc teams,
as nfc is weaker than afc, which also means getting to a SB may be the limit for any nfc team that gets there.
The AFC may win the next 2-3 SB's

Dallas could have brought dinucci back, but were evidently not interested. They werent interested in rodgers or any draft picks lol.
Dinucci grew alot in xfl, was leading qb in xfl, and got better as season went on, and played very good, in the playoff loss. no ints.
Sean Payton scooped ben up, I think ben and payton might be perfect for each other, only wilson is in the way.

Imagine if Dallas had got rodgers for 1 year, and had drafted gibbs, they would be scary good.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think they are in a hurry to invest more money in Dak. He was far too careless with the ball last year and this coaching staff knows it. They should allow Dak to prove his carelessness with the ball in 2022 was just a fluke. Wait until the conclusion of 2023 before making a decision on paying Dak. Meanwhile, they should also be preparing a QB2 to be QB1 in case Dak continues to be careless with the ball.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

Well and if he delivers I couldn't care less. Go get your money Dak, but not before you've gotten us our #6. So I'd also wait and see how he does this season and yes, despite it being a team sport I'd expect NFCCG from him if the team performs up to their abilities. He's the one who should push them that one step further they need to win it all. I'm not so happy with this off season as many others around here, but on paper this team still is loaded with talent and should have enough tools to get deeper into the play offs than last year. That game against SF wasn't the bridge too far, but an unnecessary broken axle ten miles earlier with Dak on the wheel headin for that one pothole on the road.

JBS

Reaction score
Because he's set to make nearly $60 million next year and cutting him would cost us $62 million.
My god people in here are absolutely clueless

Great post. Educate these men , sir.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Meanwhile, they should also be preparing a QB2 to be QB1 in case Dak continues to be careless with the ball.
Who would that be? They don't have a backup on the roster capable of taking over the QB1 role full time. Worst yet is Jerry and Stephen's refusal to look for one.

John813

Reaction score
Dallas and being fast with extensions? That's a new one.

IMO they are in no real rush to get him done at this point. LJ and Hurts set the market for now, with Burrows and Herbert probably to one up it again.
His 2023 cap hit is the cheapest it can be at right now. An extension would raise the cap hit due to new prorated bonus hitting immediately. So, unless he takes a "discount" they have no real need to focus on his deal right away.

The time to rush to get him locked up would be next offseason prior to the start of the 2024 offseason when his cap hit is like 3% of the US GDP.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Because he's set to make nearly $60 million next year and cutting him would cost us $62 million.
Nobody is saying toi cut him before his contract ends... You're right. Cutting him would cost us... Just wait til the contract expires and make a decision at that point

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Good! Use next year's 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB, plus sign a free agent vet on a team friendly 2 year deal. Gives the rookie time to get ready.

Or do you prefer paying $50+ million/year while limiting even more the team's salary cap going forward with so many other key players due for a contract extension?

I want to hear how your plan would work.

Remember, there is no bigger Dak supporter around here than me, but there comes a point where you simply can't keep overpaying any QB at the detriment of the team.
I brought this up in the 2024 draft thread. There could be 6 draft eligible first round quarterbacks in next years draft. The cap is rising so Dak’s big cap hit may not be as big as some fans think it might be. The fact that the Cowboys did not draft a quarterback in this year’s draft could be telling as well. Plus the Cowboys have an option to trade Dak next offseason.