Why are we in a rush to sign Dak?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
:huh:....even if Dak's extended we still have to pay him the prorated bonus that's already outstanding....in effect that means we wouldn't have the early cheaper years ala Hurts.
Cutting Dak as a 2024 post-June cut will give us $34M to sign and create a roster around which the rookie QB can develop (ala 2016).
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this....but if you cut Dak you have around 30 million counting against your cap that's unaccounted for correct?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jerry can't let the media think for one second that he's soured on Dak. It would be a feeding frenzy that would hurt sales.
Y'all think Jerry really cares? If he did he would have hired a GM by now and hired a legit HC. Jerry is not afraid of the media or the fans lol.

Creeper

Reaction score
One reason to be in a hurry is he might cost less now than in 2 years so if they can get him to sign an extension it will be better for them now. It also allows them to spread his current contract out over more years to lower his CAP number.

I would want to know his number now. IT its too high I know I have two years to find his replacement.

NotForLong

Reaction score
For glorious moments such as the one below........

Make the pain stop . . . What is your opinion on Big Mike and the New Offense that will be implemented?

I think it should Benefit Dak but if He is unable to adjust or is slow in picking up the new offense . . . Do you think Mike (In Lame Duck Year) will finally bench Him?

If so, does the Fact that The Cowboys did not draft a QB show they have faith in Rush being The Bus Driver or Will Grier's Development . . .

Looking at the Pieces added . . . In regards to "Driving The Bus" . . . Even a Cave Man could do it . . . But Dak may not even be on that level Mentally. If He falters I feel Rush will have a tremendous amount of Success with this team but I am putting my hopes in the more talented Will Grier's

I have High Hopes for Him

What's Your Opinion?

NotForLong

Reaction score
One reason to be in a hurry is he might cost less now than in 2 years so if they can get him to sign an extension it will be better for them now. It also allows them to spread his current contract out over more years to lower his CAP number.

I would want to know his number now. IT its too high I know I have two years to find his replacement.
How could it possibly cost more? he is a descending player . . . His next contract may be 6 to 7 million to be somebody's backup or bridge to a young QB

Practice and Preseason will show if Dak can handle the New Offense and Mike will know right away

This is not a build around Dak thing . . . This is a Mike is Building His Offense thing. . . Mike's Do or Die year . . . If Dak shines in the New Offense with All the New Talent . . . Then so be it yeah Dak you did it . . . But if Dak shows any signs of fudging up to process Mike will drop him like a bad habit in a New York Minute

All I want is for the Best For The Cowboy Nation . . . So I am in Favor of Both

Good Luck Dak . . . No more excuses . . . Mike ain't having it this year

Loso86

Reaction score
Listen to the records predicted to the question at 8:42. What would the prediction be if it were another NFL QB that you really trusted? We all know who those QB's are. If we are predicting 1-3 or 2-2, what in the hell does that say about confidence in Dak's ability to go on a playoff run against the better teams? Especially if it's the Wild Card route. I think their answers SPEAK VOLUMES about the actual situation we are in, which is Booger and Chuckles inability to switch gears on the fly. I would call it paralysis by analysis, but that would be incorrect....there is zero analysis going on....only paralysis due to their own lack of confidence in making Howie Roseman type decisions. Signing Dak prior to letting 2023 run its course, would be asinine beyond belief.

Lol the whole world criticized them for waiting before the last contract lol. They can't win at all can they!?

NotForLong

Reaction score
Who would that be? They don't have a backup on the roster capable of taking over the QB1 role full time. Worst yet is Jerry and Stephen's refusal to look for one.
Some people believe The Cowboys do not have an OG and believe the Offensive Line is a weakness or incomplete . . . What is wrong with Rush and Will Grier?

Cowboys did not draft a QN so they mist have Faith in them. Rush was had for a Ham Sandwich as an insurance policy but we both know His talent is lacking

Will on the other hand was a highly rated 3rd Rd pick. He has as much talent as the QB's taken on this draft except He is more seasoned

My Hopes lie in Grier's if Dak struggles

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes.

The idea that he struggled last year is blown way out of proportion.
Yeah if anything they may have a issue with his playoff performance. But I do not think the Cowboys care that he led the league in interceptions and at the same time had a top 5 offense while doing so.

His interceptions typically are just talking points for the people who dislike him. What did the team do when eh was on the field? Now the San Fran performance is something else. If he does that again then I Think it will be some tough questions asked and answered.

He had one of the best performances by a Cowboys QB or a QB in general against the Buccaneers. Yeah you can argue they shouldn't have been in the playoffs and all that other irrelevant rhetoric but that type of performance is why they have faith in him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Announcer said Gallup had a step
That one was. That was on Dak...honestly that video doesn't do it justice but on the replay you could see a better thrown ball would've been Gallup open to make the catch for a big gain. The other two plays though there was nothing there.

San Fran had their number and when something like that opens up you gotta take advantage. Gotta step up and make a throw he can make.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Jerry's in for a rude awakening though, if not from the media from the fans.

Everybody's last impression of Dak wasn't good and he's gonna hear it after the first pick this year no matter what and if things go bad that'll be it. I have a feeling Dak's already lost the fan base and you know there's nothing worse for Jerry than to hear boos directed at his boy in his house.

Always remember what Troy said. "Dallas isn't a Cowboy's town...it's a winner's town." And we booed him at the end too.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Nope we actually save $34 m (giving $65m+ CAP), if we post June cut in 2024.
You just spread the cap hit over two years. You don't lose the hit just because you make a player a June 1 cut.

So the options are to keep your starting QB at maybe a $20 million hit (with a restructure) next year and $24 million hit the following year or cut him for $31 million in dead money next year and $31 million in dead money the following year.

Ideally, you get the player to reduce his contract like Tyron and Lawrence did (among others) but that only happens with mitigating circumstances. If Dallas believes Dak is it's future, then it will extend his deal to save more cap space than it could save by cutting him.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah if anything they may have a issue with his playoff performance. But I do not think the Cowboys care that he led the league in interceptions and at the same time had a top 5 offense while doing so.

His interceptions typically are just talking points for the people who dislike him. What did the team do when eh was on the field? Now the San Fran performance is something else. If he does that again then I Think it will be some tough questions asked and answered.

He had one of the best performances by a Cowboys QB or a QB in general against the Buccaneers. Yeah you can argue they shouldn't have been in the playoffs and all that other irrelevant rhetoric but that type of performance is why they have faith in him.
Two things about INTs..

- Matt Stafford lead the league in INTs the year they won the Super Bowl.
- Dak ranked 7th in adjusted epa/play. That's ahead of Burrow, Brady, Lamar, Herbert, Rodgers.
- Dak was mostly just unlucky

How many times did this happen this year?

One of my favorite highlight reels and threads of all time, even though it's older.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Jerry's in for a rude awakening though, if not from the media from the fans.

Everybody's last impression of Dak wasn't good and he's gonna hear it after the first pick this year no matter what and if things go bad that'll be it. I have a feeling Dak's already lost the fan base and you know there's nothing worse for Jerry than to hear boos directed at his boy in his house.

Always remember what Troy said. "Dallas isn't a Cowboy's town...it's a winner's town." And we booed him at the end too.
This is because Cowboys fans, as a collective, are dumb.

Motorola

Reaction score
I brought this up in the 2024 draft thread. There could be 6 draft eligible first round quarterbacks in next years draft. The cap is rising so Dak’s big cap hit may not be as big as some fans think it might be. The fact that the Cowboys did not draft a quarterback in this year’s draft could be telling as well. Plus the Cowboys have an option to trade Dak next offseason.
Prescott has a no-trade (and no-franchise tag) clause.
He'd have to waive it. But first, the Cowboys would have to find a team that wants him - and Prescott would want to go there.
Highly unlikely scenario.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Nobody is saying toi cut him before his contract ends... You're right. Cutting him would cost us... Just wait til the contract expires and make a decision at that point
The advantage of doing something this year is that you are not under the gun. His contract doesn't end next year, but Dallas does have to make a decision by next year because he's set to make $59,455,000 with no more years left on his deal. By extending him this year, the team has some negotiating power. Players like guarantees concerning future money and right now, Dak has none. His dead cap hit of $61,915,000 is almost all prorated money he has already received. His $29 million base is not guaranteed.

If Dallas believes he is the team's future at QB, then you extend him out now while the cost will be a little lower and you can get him on a longer-term deal to spread out the hit. Dak signed a four-year deal partly because he didn't get an extension that would have included years from his first contract. With two years left on his current contract, it's likely that Dallas could get him on a six-year deal now. So there are advantages.

The disadvantage, of course, is if you want to get out of that contract in the first three or four years, it's going to cost you. But even if you look at the Lamar Jackson $260 million deal, he's being paid $22 million this year and $33 million the next. Even with his large contract, that's better than the $26 million we're paying Dak this year and the $59 million he's due next year. Now, hopefully we would not guarantee him as much as Baltimore did, but there's definite value to redoing the deal now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really don’t think there is anything left to determine if Dak is their guy. Cowboys have been all in on Dak basically from the time they named him starter.

That’s fans dilemma who have doubts he is worth the salary . Mainly cause we haven’t been to a championship game which is more on our ownership than QB.

The fact he’s enough for this team to remain a relevant contender is enough for the Cowboys to anty up.