Why are you a Cowboys fan?

sacase

Reaction score
For me I am a Cowboys fan because of my Grandmother. She was the one who got me started in rooting for the Cowboys. My story is not very interesting as I started watching them because of her. Her story is a little more interesting.

One day I asked her, how she became a Cowboys fan. She told me it all started back when Roger Staubach was in college at Navy. She started watching him in college and liked him then. She said, "I watched him play in college and I said if he would run right, he would be a good NFL QB." So when Roger went to Dallas in 69, my grandmother started watching the Cowboys. Ever since then she has always payed attention to the Cowboys QB. So thanks to Roger, I am a Cowboys fan. Oh and She likes Romo, but said he needs to quit being so Hollywood!. LOL

I love my Grandma!

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Born in Washington D.C.... raised in Silver Spring, MD (right outside of DC).. and son of a Skins season ticket holder (My Dad).

Contrary to popular belief, I didn't become a fan of the Cowboys simply to rebel or to be different. I truly believe there are "Cowboy People" "Skins People" and so on. I was destined to be a Cowboys fan and could NEVER be a fan of the skins or any other team. The skins just don't make sense to me in terms of being a fan. I couldn't get with them or what they were about. In the power struggle that is the Dallas/Wash rivalry, I just loved the Cowboys side. Although I was merely 6 when I became a fan, my dedication and undying support started early and never changed.

I think I just had my own mind. It was the teams image and swagger. Tom Landry, Tony Dorsett (my favorite and the coolest football player ever as a kid), Ron Springs, Everson Walls, "Thrill" Hill, Pearson, Doug Cosby, Too Tall and so on etc.. the metalic silver and blue, the star.. Really a no brainer! :)

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
My father was friends with Roger at the Academy. They ran into each other at some point in '80, and my dad had him sign a pair of cleats for me...my first pair at four years old. The rest is history.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My dad started watching the Cowboys when they entered the league in 1960 by 1965 I was watching the game with him and still do to this day.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I grew up in Oregon, where there's no "home team" to root for. There was no NFL Sunday Ticket or ESPN back then (late 70s and early 80s) and so you just watched what the networks gave you and you were happy to have even that.

The Cowboys, being America's Team, were always one of the teams that I got to watch then. I'm not sure what precisely it was, but certainly a combination of the Star, the Cheerleaders, and the big personalities of the players they had... but I was hooked from as early as I can remember. I also remember a family friend of ours from our church had a subscription to that Cowboys newspaper they had back in the day, and he'd give them to me after he was done reading them and I'd study them from cover to cover.

Back when I was about 6 or 7, I asked Santa for one of those Cowboys "letterman" jackets that you could order out of the Sears catalog... you know, the ones with the fake leather arms on them. Man, that was my favorite jacket ever... I'd wear that in 80 degree heat if my mom would let me. :)

I also remember "the Catch" as being one of the watershed moments in my becoming a hard-core Cowboys fan. I cried after that game, but I remember that game more than any other from my youth. Anything that could make you feel so bad had to be special.

But I've been a Cowboys fan for as long as I can remember, it's always been the only team for me!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
sacase;2084274 said:
For me I am a Cowboys fan because of my Grandmother. She was the one who got me started in rooting for the Cowboys. My story is not very interesting as I started watching them because of her. Her story is a little more interesting.

One day I asked her, how she became a Cowboys fan. She told me it all started back when Roger Staubach was in college at Navy. She started watching him in college and liked him then. She said, "I watched him play in college and I said if he would run right, he would be a good NFL QB." So when Roger went to Dallas in 69, my grandmother started watching the Cowboys. Ever since then she has always payed attention to the Cowboys QB. So thanks to Roger, I am a Cowboys fan. Oh and She likes Romo, but said he needs to quit being so Hollywood!. LOL

I love my Grandma!

i can't get enough of the roy williams threads coupled with romo's private life updates.

PosterChild

Reaction score
Okay. Rough crowd today.

Seriously, growing up in the Ok & Ar we got Cowboys games every Sunday and it was natural to be a fan of this team. It was either Dallas, the Aints or the Chiefs. Also my father was/is a huge fan. So it was a mix of family influence and geographical consequence.

Reaction score
I started watching the NFL with my dad in 86 when I was 3 years old. I loved the Cowboys uniforms. I just loved the star. Been a die hard Cowboys fan ever since. :star:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Blue is my favorite color.

I like everything about the Old West and Cowboys. This includes rodeos, western movies, country music, pickup trucks, lever action rifles, revolvers, and whatever else you can probably associate with being a cowboy.

Roger Staubach was my first hero, and to this day is held in my highest esteem.

I refused to cave in to family pressure ot be a Packers fan. Screw them.

Rooted for them in Super Bowl V, the first game I ever watched.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I used to watch football and pick a random team to root for...typically teams that had blue..Dont ask why:eek::

Anyways One day I seen the dallas Cowboys. I was amazed and instantly said to myself " That is my team, Yup that's it"

Then I moved down with my Dad and his side of the family and they were all Cowboys fans.. Die hard Fans..So it was a perfect fit for me..It started really early for me. I didnt even what was going on back then, I was in like 3rd grade lol.

been a die hard ever since..

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2084278 said:
Born that way.

Anything else would be.... well.............. uncivilized.... lol

Thanksgivings.
Aunt's house.
Bored.
Saw this star on the helmet.
Ooohhh... what that?
"I know its only a Fracken star but I like it" (parody for the Rolling Stones)
Thats all it took.

dffl11

Reaction score
I just been that way since birth....Dad's family is from Dallas, and he is the son of military and i happened to be born in Maryland.......age 6-7...around 1976-77

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v452/mfowler69/cowboys4life.jpg

reddyuta

Reaction score
my parents moved to arlington when i was 3.I stay @ valley ranch and work in irving too.