Why are you a Cowboys fan?

parchy

Reaction score
It probably had something to do with all those Eagles fans pelting my five-year-old head with snowballs and colorful phrases laced with curses. Getting baptized by fire in enemy territory has a way of binding you to a team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;2084523 said:
Good thing for your dad... just think if you becamse a Skins fan and came in here you would zero chance of ever being right... as it stands now you are only right about 50% of the time :p:

I was young and dumb at the time. Everyone is the house was going for the Cowboys and so I was willing to go for the Indians. Dad however set me straight on how things went at our house. :laugh2:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2084536 said:
I have a chapter in my book about that as far as the appeal of the team. I honestly do not know anyone who played Vikings, Giants (Titans), Priests (Saints), Miners (49ers), or Pirates (Buccaneers and Raiders) except maybe when you had a plastic toy sword, and that wasn't as much fun as cap guns and horses. Many of us probably played soldiers (Patriots) but even that isn't as captivating. Who relates the Patriots to soldiers automatically?

I had an imaginary friend who was a prospector, but I consider that more in the Cowboy theme and not a connection to the 9'ers in any way.

Unrelated note: we live in the bay area, and I'm terrified of either of my sons ending up 9'ers fans. I've taken away gameboy privileges on more than one ocassion to make sure I'm indoctrinating them properly. My oldest (3rd grade) came home the other day and told me the staff at his after school program invited him to play 500 with a 49'ers branded plush football. He said "I can play, but, excuse me, do you have any hand sanitizer? Because I'll need to clean my hands if I touch a 49'er football." Mom was mortified. I told him I'm getting him a Terrance Newman jersey.

Kilyin

Reaction score
I'm not, I just come here for the Roy Williams threads.

CNY Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Twenty years ago my son started to follow The Boys, he was 7 at the time.
I, followed the Oilers back then.
I couldn't stand rooting for teams to beat the Boys and watch his dissappointment.

Sooooo, I thought best it would be better that we both Cry and cheer together.

Best move I ever made ,now we still cry and cheer together ,but the key word is Together.:star:

FCBarca

Reaction score
Puberty & cheerleaders, honestly...Then I saw there was a football team associated with them and I was hooked.

Everytime I try to distance myself from the game of American Football (Going to a couple of games in recent years has made it tough to be a fan, crazy people at games), I have a hard time letting go of the Cowboys...It was the first professional sports team I got behind.

The history of the club and Landry really helped foment that bond to the franchise...So, now, even if I end up watching less of American Football down the line, Cowboys are always going to be a club I'll keep an eye on

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I like the Cowboys by association.
  • I'm from Texas
  • In Texas, football is king.
  • In football, the Cowboys are king.
  • Therefore, I'm am the king Cowboys fan from Texas. ;)

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Because my dad wanted to raise a man.

My dad was born in ft worth in 55, and has been a cowboys fan since their start. I was born a cowboys fan, and I'll die a cowboys fan.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
My Momo used to have two pictures on her wall, one was Jesus and the other was Tom Landry. That should tell you all you need to know.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CNY Cowboy;2084594 said:
Twenty years ago my son started to follow The Boys, he was 7 at the time.
I, followed the Oilers back then.
I couldn't stand rooting for teams to beat the Boys and watch his dissappointment.

Sooooo, I thought best it would be better that we both Cry and cheer together.

Best move I ever made ,now we still cry and cheer together ,but the key word is Together.:star:
Isaiah 11:6 in the Bible was never more true.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I've told this story before, but I am now 51. When I was a young kid, we were visiting my uncle's farm to get a trunk load of free corn on the cob for freezing.

The old black and white tv was on in the living room of the farm house, and I get hypnotised by the uniforms and the frosty breath, along with the story line about the weather and watching the men playing on the frozen tundra. It was the first football game I ever watched on tv and vaguely understood, and it just happened to be the ICE BOWL between Green Bay and Dallas.

I was hooked on football and the Dallas Cowboys forever. Don Meredith, Bob Hayes, Dan Reeves, Don Perkins, Bob Lilly and Jethro Pugh...it was crazy, and my mom couldn't get any work out of me.

TDHND

Reaction score
i had an uncle on each side of the family that were landry fans,so i've been a cowboys fan since i was little.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
wayne motley;2084630 said:
When I was a young kid, we were visiting my uncle's farm to get a trunk load of free corn on the cob for freezing.

That reminds me of my grand parents and causes a slight giggle . :laugh2:

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
My father made it very clear to me at a young age that I would be a Cowboy fan........and that was it.....:)