Why are you a Cowboys fan?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The day Tony Dorsett became a Cowboy, I became a Cowby fan. He was my favorite player in college while I was living in Pgh. I was 12 years old when he became a Cowboy. Before, I had been a Vikings fan with Fran Tarkenton, Chuck Foreman, Carl Eller, Bud Grant, etc.

I remember as a viking fan kid being totally upset about the Hail Mary catch. Now, I laugh about the hail mary catch and enjoy watching the replays.

PosterChild

Reaction score
ninja;2084667 said:
The day Tony Dorsett became a Cowboy, I became a Cowby fan. He was my favorite player in college while I was living in Pgh. I was 12 years old when he became a Cowboy. Before, I had been a Vikings fan with Fran Tarkenton, Chuck Foreman, Carl Eller, Bud Grant, etc.

I remember as a viking fan kid being totally upset about the Hail Mary catch. Now, I laugh about the hail mary catch and enjoy watching the replays.

I'm with you on Dorsett, those words could've come from my keyboard. Emmit may have been better,more productive but TD excited me more. He was/is my favorite player. Roger is very very close.

CowboysGuide

Reaction score
Living in the Washington DC area most of my life was enough reason to be a Commanders fan...you'd think. Not me. My dad didn't like George Allen and his coaching style, so he started rooting for the Cowboys. That's all it took for me. As an impressionalble kid I learned from my Dad to root for America's Team.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Grew up in Wyoming. EVERYBODY seemed to be a Broncos fan. I was so sick of the Broncos I could have puked. Watched my first Super Bowl when the Eagles played the Raiders. Decided then that I needed my own team. Naturally, my mother bought me a Broncos jacket. I hated that frickin orange and blue thing. I asked a friend at school, who was a Broncos fan, what teams he hated the most. He said "The Raiders (of course) and the Cowboys (because they had beaten the Broncos in the Super Bowl)". The Raiders did nothing for me, but I loved the Silver and blue unis of the Boys. Been a fan ever since.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
I grew up in South Philadelphia in the 1970's. Most eagle fans will denigh this fact to thier dieing breath, but prior to 1980, there were more bald eagles than eagle fans.

When I was 8 years old, maybe 2-3 kids in my 3rd grade class were eagle fans. The rest were Cowboy, Steeler, Raider, Dolphin and Viking fans.

Philly kids in the 1970's were Flyers, Phillies and Sixer fans. Eagles were a joke.

For me it was the Blue and Sliver uniforms and of course the starred helmets. OMG those guys have stars! Thats my team.

Whats funny is that nothing's changed in 30 years. I get the same feeling when I see those uniforms!

WarC

Reaction score
My Dad is a Texan. The family moved all over the country and ended up here in Wisconsin. But he remained a fan of the Cowboys through it all.

In the 90's during the Triplets Era I got my introductions to football. I was in elementary school throughout their 3 out 4 SB run and during that time Emmitt Smith was my idol.

I'd mimick the Cowboys games that were televised nationally by running around the hallways or on my parent's bed, tackling their big pillows and catching a "football" that was more like a wad of socks inside of a bigger sock.

I've said this even on this forum a few times (maybe even on this thread, I dunno how old it is) that that blue Star represents football to me. That uniform, that helmet, its like a piece of myself - All that I love and enjoy about watching and playing the game.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If you were born in the 70s, you either rooted for the Cowboys or the Steelers. So naturally.......

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clove;2085090 said:
If you were born in the 70s, you either rooted for the Cowboys or the Steelers. So naturally.......
:signmast: Smart man. :) Me too. :D

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
Genetics...and the cheerleaders helped me through some rough times like the 1-15 season. There's something to like in our franchise for everyone!

ladiewolve

Reaction score
I grew up among alot of Miami fans , but being a girl and all, I always loved to Watch the Dallas cowboys Cheerleaders. They were the best! Then I saw Roger Staubach and began to actually watch the games...and the rest is history!
Go Cowboys!

FLASH

Reaction score
My dad is a Packer fan and in the early 90s the Packers played the Cowboys a couple Thanksgivings in a row...and the Cowboys always won, the rest is history

UKCowboysFan

Reaction score
When Football was first shown on the TV in the UK (in the late 1980's), I was intrigued by this New (well it was to us) game, and decided that the best way to get a real interest was to follow a Team.

Shortly after a documentary was shown on the station called "Max Boyce meets the Dallas Cowboys".

Max Boyce was a rugby loving welsh comedian, who basically spent time with the Cowboys in training camp, to [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']allegedly[/FONT] try-out for the team. He got to suit up for a pre-season game but never got onto the field.

Anyway, having watched the show, I decided that they were the team for me, and have followed them ever since.

Just think, if they had shown Max Boyce meets the Washington Commanders, I could be a real saddo now.
:laugh2:

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
Tom Landry and Roger Staubach.

That started the ball rolling for me.

I was the first Cowboy fan in my family, but now my siblings are all Cowboy fans, my wife and my children are as well.

I intend to pass along the legacy.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
well one day I was walking down the street and there was this silver and blue bandwagon....so I ran after it and jumped on just as it was turning onto a main road.....i have been on ever since.......

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
on a serious note......Cowboys football was on every Sunday when I was growing up. we were not allowed to talk during the game. I watched the games with my Dad and older bros. The funny thing is, I didn't even know there was another football team in Texas till I was like 10.

When I was a kid the one thing that always annoyed me was the segment in the Tom Landry show when he would be discussing the play. He would constantly run the play and rewind...over and over. At the time I didn't really understand what he was saying. But once I got older, that segment became one of my fondest memories of Tom Landry.