Why cant we copy the Chiefs

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I know your being sarcastic, but they are out there,but no one can see them.
If NE does not draft tom and let him sit almost 2 years, he would have just faded into oblivion.
Tom wasnt ready to play out of college.

Also 31 teams did not see much in mahomes lol, if KC doesnt pick him, he might have fell into 2nd round, and wound up on some other team where things dont go like they have in KC. The experts are not very good at evaluating talent, especially at QB.

I believe that there are quality downroster QBs that don't get a chance. Tony could have easily been cut, then bounced around from team to team. Dak could have been a career backup.

If I were an owner, I'd spend a lot of effort in trying to improve QB evaluation. I'd spend picks and churn. I'd be looking for the QB Whisperers to train QBs. As you say, the pros don't seem very good at this, but I don't believe it's magic.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Chiefs had a bus driver QB in Alex SMith. Traded up in draft and drafted Mahomes. We can ship Dak off to some QB needy team and draft the next who we think Mahomes will be. We have our version of Tyreek Hill in our Lamb.

Mcarthy can go head to head against Reid in a lunch buffet.
That’s great assuming we will find the next Mahommes. If we don’t then what.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Chiefs had a bus driver QB in Alex SMith. Traded up in draft and drafted Mahomes. We can ship Dak off to some QB needy team and draft the next who we think Mahomes will be. We have our version of Tyreek Hill in our Lamb.

Why can't we copy the Chiefs? My 3D printer is in for repairs!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The best QB doesn't always win....typically the best Team does. While the Chiefs have a good team the offense wasn't at full strength while missing both starting tackles. Tampa didn't have the best QB but were by far the best team on the field both offensively and defensively.

Yep. Where was the once in a generation Mahomes when both his OT's were missing from the SB?

A QB and RB's performance depends upon the O-Line.... a very good one (Mahomes) or good one (Dak) may be able to overcome some adversity but isnt a one man win guarantee.

The debate about Dak has nothing to do with his talent, it's to do with the waste of money spending in the region $40m on a player over the next 3 years when we are years away from competing.

Drafting alone will not produce the number of instant NFL ready talent to overhaul the whole Defense and plug the health concerns on the O-Line.

The fans that look at the Restructure Argument just dont get that we have to pay the bill at some time.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
lol, well, there is the blatantly obvious fact that Pat Mahomes level QBs don't just fall off trees waiting for anyone to pick up ….

Ask yourself who was the last QB that came out of college before Mahomes that approaches that level. Russell Wilson? He was drafted 9 years ago. That's how rare it is, and even so he still is probably below Mahomes level. In short, if it were as easy as just deciding to go out an pick up the next Pat Mahomes everyone would do it.

There's also the blatantly obvious fact that whilst Mahomes is an excellent QB, he cant do it on his own. No QB, not even him can play with a second rate O-Line (despite having Kelsie, Hill and

If you dont have a Mahomes, build the Offense so that a lesser QB can perform.

There could be an argument that a 4th round QB draft pick has time to develop behind a stacked O-Line giving protection and time to make options.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

CD Lamb is not the equivalent of Tyreek Hill. Tyreek Hill is a WR/RB with 4.3 speed.

If you want to copy the Cheifs then we need to sign Dak, draft TE Kyle Pitts in the first and WR/RB Kenneth Gainwell in the second.

Our defense is so far away from being effective that drafting offensive players in the early rounds actually makes sense. Let's just overload our offense and hope our defense can force three punts a game.

So copying the Chiefs is not a bad idea. But Jerry will adhere to the public's train of thought and go defensive heavy in this draft.

If it was me, I'd draft the two guys mentioned earlier and switch to the 3-4 defense. But I'm waaaaay smarter than our front office.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Everyone wants to copy the Chiefs but it's practically impossible, unless your GM, talent and coaching is as good or better!:thumbup:

Last edited:

ryanbabs

Reaction score
We can draft the next Mahomes with our #10 overall pick.

We can draft the next Jerry Rice with our 3rd round pick.

Cowboys will then win 5 of the next 10 Super Bowls.

It’s a brilliant plan.
Yep and just keep that awesome defense we had last year in place. No need for defensive players. This is an awesome plan! :thumbup:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep. Where was the once in a generation Mahomes when both his OT's were missing from the SB?

A QB and RB's performance depends upon the O-Line.... a very good one (Mahomes) or good one (Dak) may be able to overcome some adversity but isnt a one man win guarantee.

The debate about Dak has nothing to do with his talent, it's to do with the waste of money spending in the region $40m on a player over the next 3 years when we are years away from competing.

Drafting alone will not produce the number of instant NFL ready talent to overhaul the whole Defense and plug the health concerns on the O-Line.

The fans that look at the Restructure Argument just dont get that we have to pay the bill at some time.

Correct. At some point you have to go all in to win a SB. That means you'll probably have to over pay a few guys, just to get enough talent and depth on the roster. Stephen won't. They should have done more in Daks 2nd, 3rd, 4th year to fix the defense before we had to give him 35+ a year. What makes anyone think they can build a better team with less overall money? They won't.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

we are offensively there. we need to fix the defense and that needs to happen through the draft. even if we went with rookie QB or bottom of the barrell like Dalton, if we can't draft defense, nothing will ever get fixed.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Correct. At some point you have to go all in to win a SB. That means you'll probably have to over pay a few guys, just to get enough talent and depth on the roster. Stephen won't. They should have done more in Daks 2nd, 3rd, 4th year to fix the defense before we had to give him 35+ a year. What makes anyone think they can build a better team with less overall money? They won't.
All true, part of my fun is watching just what the jones boys will do each year lol.
What will they do with dak
Who will they draft
Will they do much in FA
It should be quite amusing and fun to discuss.

Also will MM be any better at coaching , game planning, or game mgmt?? He was awful this past season!
Will Kellen still be pass happy? throwing 45+ times a game?
And then our defense lol, can Quinn make it better? What players will be added?

Almost 2 months till the draft !!!! that will be fun!

coult44

Reaction score

I’d rather copy The Bucs.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All true, part of my fun is watching just what the jones boys will do each year lol.
What will they do with dak
Who will they draft
Will they do much in FA
It should be quite amusing and fun to discuss.

Also will MM be any better at coaching , game planning, or game mgmt?? He was awful this past season!
Will Kellen still be pass happy? throwing 45+ times a game?
And then our defense lol, can Quinn make it better? What players will be added?

Almost 2 months till the draft !!!! that will be fun!

I was happy that MM was allowed to pick most of his staff but ultimately they were no better expect ST.