News: Why Cowboys Have a New DB Coach

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
This happens on every team in the NFL. As long as players have great football IQ it will continue to happen. Again no one even knows if Lee was right in this situation. Sounds very knowledgeable though.
Status quo and accepting of mistakes. Keep it up, you may convince me.

Aven8

Reaction score
I thought Garrett said they were changing staff because coaches weren't bought into his message and there was only going to be one message...the Garrett message.

So I assume they didn't 'Fight'? ;)

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Jerry Rice ran a bad route once.
Yeah totally different. It I get it. Our coaches are just fine, mistakes happen, all teams lose, many teams miss the playoffs, only a few teams can make the playoffs, fewer can win a playoff game, and only one can win the Suoer Bowl. We should all just be happy the Cowboys play 4 preseason games and 16 regular season games. Go Cowboys! Try hard and hopefully the other team doesn’t try as hard or is more confused than you are and you can make the playoffs again.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Yeah totally different. It I get it. Our coaches are just fine, mistakes happen, all teams lose, many teams miss the playoffs, only a few teams can make the playoffs, fewer can win a playoff game, and only one can win the Suoer Bowl. We should all just be happy the Cowboys play 4 preseason games and 16 regular season games. Go Cowboys! Try hard and hopefully the other team doesn’t try as hard or is more confused than you are and you can make the playoffs again.
Kris Richard will never call a bad coverage and we will never get scored on now that he is with the team.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Kris Richard will never call a bad coverage and we will never get scored on now that he is with the team.
Again. Totally different but I see what you are saying. If we suck a little less each year I think we can make he playoffs again one year.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Again. Totally different but I see what you are saying. If we suck a little less each year I think we can make he playoffs again one year.
Top 10 defense in 3years. The time is now. Top 10 with a revamped young secondary last season. The pressure is on Kris IMO. If we regress as a unit on defense after giving him the LB he wanted in the 1st round then it's on him. With that said I don't expect him to be perfect because no one is.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Top 10 defense in 3years. The time is now. Top 10 with a revamped young secondary last season. The pressure is on Kris IMO. If we regress as a unit on defense after giving him the LB he wanted in the 1st round then it's on him. With that said I don't expect him to be perfect because no one is.
I don’t expect him to be perfect either. But I also don’t expect the players to have to coach him on sidelines on why the play that was called can’t be executed. At the very least, he should know his players’ responsibilities and coach them.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I don’t expect him to be perfect either. But I also don’t expect the players to have to coach him on sidelines on why the play that was called can’t be executed. At the very least, he should know his players’ responsibilities and coach them.
Then you don't expect Sean Lee to question any decision that Kris makes....hence Kris would have to be perfect.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Then you don't expect Sean Lee to question any decision that Kris makes....hence Kris would have to be perfect.
Lol. It’s not just questioning a decision that I have an issue with. A bad play call is one thing. Not understanding the play that was called is another.

It would be like wondering why Dak didn’t hand the ball off to Zeke from a shotgun empty backfield set and then having Dak need to explain Zeke was sent out wide.

Can you not see the difference?

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Lol. It’s not just questioning a decision that I have an issue with. A bad play call is one thing. Not understanding the play that was called is another.

It would be like wondering why Dak didn’t hand the ball off to Zeke from a shotgun empty backfield set and then having Dak need to explain Zeke was sent out wide.

Can you not see the difference?

No I don't see the difference nor how you came to the conclusion that the DC was actually wrong. I am very impressed that Sean has the football IQ to question a play but we have no information on why that play was called. Could have been the package that the OC put on the field that led them to believe something else was coming. I don't know but I lean toward a simple mistake because our defense has improved drastically since being one of the worse in the history of the NFL in 2013 to top 10 just last season.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No I don't see the difference nor how you came to the conclusion that the DC was actually wrong. I am very impressed that Sean has the football IQ to question a play but we have no information on why that play was called. Could have been the package that the OC put on the field that led them to believe something else was coming. I don't know but I lean toward a simple mistake because our defense has improved drastically since being one of the worse in the history of the NFL in 2013 to top 10 just last season.
It’s Ok. There is always a good reason. Always. Almost making the playoffs is good enough.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
We are seeing Stephen's stamp on the club on both sides of the ball. Lal and Richard say Stephen/mcclay. They were even willing to make eberflus dc this year and keep marinelli around to placate him for a year like Monty. Garrett and Linehan are on short leashes.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I had a dollar for every time I heard "how dare you question the coach or call he's a pro and you're a armchair coach".

Well Jebus.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Loved the pick up. He will become our dcoordinator I think next year. Marinelli raves about him and is grooming him

RoboQB

Reaction score
I just wonder why that wasn’t addressed during the season. Considering the announcement the staff would be changing due to one message needing to be given was shown at the end of the series, they would have shown conversations addressing the dissension as a build up.

From what it appears, he let the staff fall apart around him and dealt with the disaster afterwards instead of doing something to salvage it. Sort of like he does during the games. Lets the game slip away, needs to go watch the film, and then realize they should have done something different.

Fair point. Who's to say he knew beforehand. He may have noticed while they were putting the show together.
The answer may have ended up on the cutting floor, as they say. Or, possibly, it was a number of little things
occurring that finally broke the camel's back... (again, as they say...lol)

I gotta say though, I feel dirty defending Garrett. I'm not the hater that many others are but he's certainly not
what I envision as a successful coach. Time for a shower now... lol

CCBoy

Reaction score
We are seeing Stephen's stamp on the club on both sides of the ball. Lal and Richard say Stephen/mcclay. They were even willing to make eberflus dc this year and keep marinelli around to placate him for a year like Monty. Garrett and Linehan are on short leashes.

Everything in organization is analyzed and directions taken by those given leadership participation...all coaches and scouts. Stephen has followed the path for sensible and responsible cap management, but the entire staff chose investment in youth as well. A Jerry led team does seek imput and evaluations from those participating. Accountability is not lost, no matter the fan view or agenda involved.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Fair point. Who's to say he knew beforehand. He may have noticed while they were putting the show together.
The answer may have ended up on the cutting floor, as they say. Or, possibly, it was a number of little things
occurring that finally broke the camel's back... (again, as they say...lol)

I gotta say though, I feel dirty defending Garrett. I'm not the hater that many others are but he's certainly not
what I envision as a successful coach. Time for a shower now... lol
I hear you. One thing I wonder about this series is if Garrett’s office was a no record zone. This is the first season I have seen of the All or Nothing and Hard Knocks series that I didn’t see a player / head coach meeting. We saw position coach and player, and owner and player meetings, but no Garrett and player meetings. I found that strange so maybe they didn’t record the events that happened in Garrett’s office. Was his office even shown?

Last edited: