News: Why Dallas Cowboys’ family business prevents winning titles

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
All you have is hatred for Jones and fail to see a very simple fact that grade schoolers can see. I'll try once again but I doubt you'll get it this time either. The Super Bowl team Jones built BEFORE the cap...

At some point you have to let your hatred for Jones go and look at what has actually been going on for over 2 decades. Just spouting your hatred of Jones doesn't change the facts of what has gone on.

It's cute that you think Jerry built those SB teams. :muttley:

By the way, thinking Jerry is a mediocre GM who refuses to hold himself accountable is not "hatred" of the person (unless you're a Millennial).

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
And yet Jones still has final say on who is drafted along with his son and when Garrett was hired, it was Jerry who hired his DC.

This is because you say so. You of course every year sit in the "war room" and hear and see EVERY conversation and know for a fact that Jerry and/or Stephen have made draft selections that Garrett was opposed to. And of course the little thing of during the press announcement when Marinelli was named DC and Garrett was there all smiling and saying how happy he was that he was joining his staff. He didn't look like Marinelli was forced on him. Again I suppose you were in the office when Jerry told Garrett he was getting a new DC. But in reality it could have been that Jones and Garrett had discussions and Jerry could have said we could get Marinelli and Garrett said good go get him. But that never crossed your mind.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's cute that you think Jerry built those SB teams. :muttley:

By the way, thinking Jerry is a mediocre GM who refuses to hold himself accountable is not "hatred" of the person (unless you're a Millennial).

It's not think but revelations that have come forth since Jonson left. Like starting the very first year, first draft. Johnson wanted to draft Manarich because he had a plan to take his college QB Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft but Jones said the Cowboys will take Aikman. Jones did agree to select Walsh in the supplemental draft. Then in his 2nd year and 2nd draft Johnson convince Jones to trade up in the draft to select LB James Francis and right after the trade with the steelers was completed and before the Cowboys pick the begals took Francis. So Johnson said the Cowboys would then take LB Tony bennett but again Jones laid down the law and said no we will take Emmitt Smith. So if left to Johnson 2 out of the 3 triplets would have never been Cowboys and chances of winning those 3 Super Bowls would have been close to nil. So yes Jones was responsible for those Super Bowls.

For the record, I've been a cowboys fan since day 1, January 28, 1960, probably a lot longer than you.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Problem is Charlotte is the smartest one and they don’t have her in a football role

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It's not think but revelations that have come forth since Jonson left. Like starting the very first year, first draft. Johnson wanted to draft Manarich because he had a plan to take his college QB Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft but Jones said the Cowboys will take Aikman. Jones did agree to select Walsh in the supplemental draft. Then in his 2nd year and 2nd draft Johnson convince Jones to trade up in the draft to select LB James Francis and right after the trade with the steelers was completed and before the Cowboys pick the begals took Francis. So Johnson said the Cowboys would then take LB Tony bennett but again Jones laid down the law and said no we will take Emmitt Smith. So if left to Johnson 2 out of the 3 triplets would have never been Cowboys and chances of winning those 3 Super Bowls would have been close to nil. So yes Jones was responsible for those Super Bowls.

For the record, I've been a cowboys fan since day 1, January 28, 1960, probably a lot longer than you.

I couldn't care less how long you've been a Cowboys fan, as if that's supposed to give your opinions more weight. For the record, I wasn't alive in 1960 but I've been a fan since the 70s, all the while living a long distance away from the friendly confines of the Metroplex, but I digress.

So Jerry was the mastermind of the SB teams built while Jimmy was the coach? It's interesting that Jerry seems to have lost that Midas touch of personnel decision making the moment Jimmy left and Jerry hilariously brought in Barry Switzer to coach the Cowboys. That was my first red flag with Jerry. There've been many more since, unfortunately.

Jimmy has been in a TV studio since 1999 and he's won as many conference titles and Super Bowls as Jerry since then. But keep holding on to that version of history you spewed above, hoping that Jerry will somehow recapture the magic as he rounds 75 and heads toward 80. Hope springs eternal.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is because you say so. You of course every year sit in the "war room" and hear and see EVERY conversation and know for a fact that Jerry and/or Stephen have made draft selections that Garrett was opposed to. And of course the little thing of during the press announcement when Marinelli was named DC and Garrett was there all smiling and saying how happy he was that he was joining his staff. He didn't look like Marinelli was forced on him. Again I suppose you were in the office when Jerry told Garrett he was getting a new DC. But in reality it could have been that Jones and Garrett had discussions and Jerry could have said we could get Marinelli and Garrett said good go get him. But that never crossed your mind.

No, because pretty much everyone says so. Jerry and to an extent, Stephen have final say with a draft pick not Garrett. Sure, they take input from Garrett, Marinelli, McClay, etc. but at the end of the day, it's Jerry and Stephen who make the final call, not Garrett. For example, here's one of the beat reporters from last year:

Question: Who do you think will have more say in who the Cowboys draft: Jerry Jones or Stephen Jones?

Scales: Jerry Jones still has final say on all draft picks, so he is still top of the food chain in the War Room, without question. But that doesn't diminish Stephen's role in the draft. Sometimes Stephen can be the "yin" to Jerry's "yang" (yin/yang = complementary forces that are inter-related).

The truth, however, is that Will McClay is the one in charge of setting the draft board, and all of the Jones' decisions come off that board.

McClay's official title is Senior Director of College/Pro Scouting. He's the one that funnels the information, and Jerry makes the final call. The most important facet of McClay's role is that he's earned the trust of the Joneses as well as the scouts and coaching staff. He has the ear (and trust) of the people he works with.

And we aren't talking about Marinelli. We are talking about Kiffin. Jones made the call on Kiffin after firing Ryan.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I couldn't care less how long you've been a Cowboys fan, as if that's supposed to give your opinions more weight. For the record, I wasn't alive in 1960 but I've been a fan since the 70s, all the while living a long distance away from the friendly confines of the Metroplex, but I digress.

So Jerry was the mastermind of the SB teams built while Jimmy was the coach? It's interesting that Jerry seems to have lost that Midas touch of personnel decision making the moment Jimmy left and Jerry hilariously brought in Barry Switzer to coach the Cowboys. That was my first red flag with Jerry. There've been many more since, unfortunately.

Jimmy has been in a TV studio since 1999 and he's won as many conference titles and Super Bowls as Jerry since then. But keep holding on to that version of history you spewed above, hoping that Jerry will somehow recapture the magic as he rounds 75 and heads toward 80. Hope springs eternal.

Hey you were the one who implied I was a millennial so that is why I brought up how long I have been a fan. Second the drafts are verifiable as to who Johnson wanted and it's obvious who the Cowboys took. Now I never said Johnson wasn't a good coach, he was for the most part, but again if left to Johnson there wouldn't have been 3 Super Bowl wins in the 90's because 2 thirds of the triplets wouldn't have been Cowboys. Now you can whine all you want about what has happen since then but that doesn't change what happened the 1st 2 years Jones owned the Cowboys. For the record I wasn't am Jones fan because of how he handled Landry, but I also won't be a hypocrite and not acknowledge what he did the 1st couple of years.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No, because pretty much everyone says so. Jerry and to an extent, Stephen have final say with a draft pick not Garrett. Sure, they take input from Garrett, Marinelli, McClay, etc. but at the end of the day, it's Jerry and Stephen who make the final call, not Garrett. For example, here's one of the beat reporters from last year:

And we aren't talking about Marinelli. We are talking about Kiffin. Jones made the call on Kiffin after firing Ryan.

Again you know as FACT as well as your "everyone says so" fans what is said and done in the Cowboys offices in their private meetings. You have been privy to all of them and state with absolute 1st hand knowledge what is said and done. That's what I thought - NO. More FANS that think they know something as facts that have zero possibility of knowing. When you have a link that quotes Jones saying it was his decision alone to hire any coach since Garrett was name permanent head coach then I'll take your word for it.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Again you know as FACT as well as your "everyone says so" fans what is said and done in the Cowboys offices in their private meetings. You have been privy to all of them and state with absolute 1st hand knowledge what is said and done. That's what I thought - NO. More FANS that think they know something as facts that have zero possibility of knowing.

No, the issue here is that you are just ignorant and ignore pretty much is widely held by fans, beat writers, analysts, etc. to be true.

Jason Garrett does not make the final call on draft picks. Jerry does. Jason didn't hire everyone of his assistants. Jerry actually hired some, especially early in Garrett's tenure such as Monte Kiffin.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No, the issue here is that you are just ignorant and ignore pretty much is widely held by fans, beat writers, analysts, etc. to be true.

Jason Garrett does not make the final call on draft picks. Jerry does. Jason didn't hire everyone of his assistants. Jerry actually hired some, especially early in Garrett's tenure such as Monte Kiffin.

Again for someone who calls someone else ignorant, just what exactly is your proof other than you just saying it. On just which meeting were you present that you can say what was said and done. Does Jones call you on a regular bass and keep you up to speed on what goes on in the Cowboys offices? Do you go over to his house on a regular basis for dinner?

elcowboi

Reaction score
At first I was like this really isn't true but then I got a glimpse of another family operation that is ABSOLUTELY horrible and see firsthand how too many family members can mess things.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am tired of hearing about "football people" that is the biggest fallacy out there. When you have been intimately involved in the NFL for over 20 years, guess what, you are a football person.
This is the common fallacy of advancement. Do something long enough and one becomes proficient at it. We know that is not true in so many areas including sports.

The reason all of Booger's family is involved is because they are family. How many of them would be in the NFL at that level without that? Do you think, with all of the mistakes in cap management, his son would still be employed by any team at that level? He wouldn't have been hired in the first place.

We've seen this family run this team for 28 years and while it has greatly increased in value, it was non family that got it over the hump and they've been riding the crest of that wave ever since and have accomplished very little since Johnson left and Booger had to have credibility with Parcells to sell the new stadium and still had to go back to the NFL to increase his loan to get that done.

How many of the owners are successful "football people"? The ones that hire people who know more than they do about the game itself.

If you feel that being around something for 20 years qualifies someone, have the surgeon's nurse do your operation instead of the surgeon. Training is important but talent is more important. Neither Booger nor Son has the talent necessary to do the football side of this and they've proven that for 20 years.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem is Charlotte is the smartest one and they don’t have her in a football role
I don't know if there is a connection between the level of intelligence and ability to recognize talent, which is the major obstacle.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I believe it was Garrett's relationship from the past that brought Kiffin in. They have some history.

cern

Reaction score
I don't know if there is a connection between the level of intelligence and ability to recognize talent, which is the major obstacle.
jimmy is an actual genius. I.Q. and all. and he was exceptional at recognizing talent. jerry, on the other hand is not a genius and is nowhere near as good as recognizing talent. glean from this what you will.:):)

Hadenough

Reaction score
Maybe if you actually listen and used less of what you THINK things are/were like you would have heard at the presser when Garrett became the permanent head coach that Jones said that Garrett is the first coach he's ever given the final say on players and coaches and he then said "it's in his contract". When he said this he said Garrett has more authority than Johnson or Parcells did. You're just like the people that thought Johnson ran everything until the pregame of Super Bowl XLV when during a round table discussion with Emmitt, Aikman, Irvin,The Moose, Johnson and Jones, Johnson admitted in front of millions of people that he didn't have all the power and authority many outside of the organization thought he had.

Second no coach can "seize" contr4ol from an owner. It's not like a hostile stock take over. Coaches don't order owners, it's the other way around. Lastly I don't know what you're talking about as far as country club? I've never heard any creditable person refer to the Cowboys as a Country club environment. Oh there may have been a couple of fans who have less than zero actual first hand knowledge of what goes on, but not a single sportswriter, announcer, analyst or former player or coach have I ever heard say the .Cowboys were some kind of country club.
This is complete BS! And you actually believe what Jerry says about Jason having control. Your too far gone dude. Nobody can help you.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This is complete BS! And you actually believe what Jerry says about Jason having control. Your too far gone dude. Nobody can help you.

Maybe you might want to find the video where Garrett was introduced as the Cowboys new head coach where Jones after Garrett made his remarks stated that Garrett was the 1st coach he gave the final say so on player and coaches and then said it's in his contract.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Maybe you might want to find the video where Garrett was introduced as the Cowboys new head coach where Jones after Garrett made his remarks stated that Garrett was the 1st coach he gave the final say so on player and coaches and then said it's in his contract.
If Garrett has all this control then how did Jerry take the offensive play calling away from him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Again for someone who calls someone else ignorant, just what exactly is your proof other than you just saying it. On just which meeting were you present that you can say what was said and done. Does Jones call you on a regular bass and keep you up to speed on what goes on in the Cowboys offices? Do you go over to his house on a regular basis for dinner?

My proof is numerous stories, reports, statements, etc. from multiple reporters, etc.

Peter King did an expose for SI where the Cowboys let him in the war room for the 2016 draft. Jones makes the final decisions. He takes input from everyone but in the end, he makes the final call.

So yes, you are ignorant.......... and stubborn.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If Garrett has all this control then how did Jerry take the offensive play calling away from him.

All I've said is Garrett has the final say on players and coaches. I did not say that Jones can't tell Garrett what he personally can do or can't do.