Why did Zeke's abilities nose dive?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In Zeke's first two seasons, he was one of the best, or maybe the best, running back in the league. It was all downhill after that. In his last season, he was just a basic running back who could block pretty well and get you some short yardage when you need it. Other Cowboys running backs were productive way longer than Zeke. Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, and Emmitt Smith helped their teams way, way longer than Zeke did. Zeke was productive probably about as long as DeMarco Murray was.

What happened? I know some fans say that he got paid a bunch of money and then just got lazy. However, his play last season didn't look lazy to me. It looked like he was working really hard, but he just wasn't anywhere near as good as he used to be. Did his body just wear out? Or did he do a poor job training? Did the pandemic slow him down? What happened?
Injuries....he chose to play and not sit and get paid. He deserves a lot of credit. Many haters on here that never played a down will ridicule him.....but, if you ever wore a jock strap, you'll respect his

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
His only chance of getting on a team is if someone gets injured. It's not like he can pick lol boi

He can step into any situation the day before the opener and greatness will just pick up right where it left off.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His only chance of getting on a team is if someone gets injured. It's not like he can pick lol boi
Can't take you serious until you learn how to spell correctly....BOY....
Now go away, and back to school.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Brotha I think you’re severely overestimating how many times a Rb runs for 40+ yards in a season.

In 2022 for example, the high for 40+ yard runs was 4 which only two running backs accomplished. Four running backs got 3. If only 6 backs can get 3+ 40 yard runs in one season then by definition 3 runs of 40+ would be “a lot” of long runs.

In 2016, only one player had 4 rushes of 40+ yards. And 5 total (including Zeke) had 3. So in 2016, Zeke was tied for second in the league for the most 40+ yard runs and one off from the leader.

When taking perspective of the achievement into account, he did in fact have a lot of long runs his rookie year. Not sure what constitutes a lot for you but this is the NFL. You’re not gonna break off eight 40+ yard carries. Once you get to about 2 you’re doing better than most.
The fan I’m arguing with is claiming that 20+ yard runs are long runs and I disagree. Anything under 40 yards isn’t a long run in my opinion. Zeke had 14 runs of 20+ yards his rookie year. Those weren’t long runs. He hasn’t had many runs from scrimmage over 30 yards in his career. RBs don’t carry the ball as much as they did back in the day. Most are splitting carries so they don’t get as many opportunities as backs did decades ago.

817Gill

Reaction score
The fan I’m arguing with is claiming that 20+ yard runs are long runs and I disagree. Anything under 40 yards isn’t a long run in my opinion. Zeke had 14 runs of 20+ yards his rookie year. RBs don’t carry the ball as much as they did back in the day. Most are splitting carries so they don’t get as many opportunities as backs did decades ago.
For me, your statement claiming he didn’t have a lot of long runs (40+) is incorrect due to the stats provided. In todays game (I provided examples from 2016 and 2022), 3+ 40 yard runs is ”a lot”.

So by contextual definition, he did indeed have “a lot” of long (40+) yard runs.

Now if you want to discuss what’s a lot now compared to the 80’s that’s a whole different topic. I just wanted to provide some clarity to the fact that three 40+ yard carries his rookie year was in fact “a lot”. Not even considering the 20+ yarders.

And since the original point was about his speed coming into the league, he also had a long run in 2016 of 60 yards. Not to mention his screen verses Pittsburgh where he was clocked going over 20mph. Rookie Zeke was indeed one of the most explosive and fast backs in the sport.

Big_D

Reaction score
Injuries....he chose to play and not sit and get paid. He deserves a lot of credit. Many haters on here their never played a down will ridicule him.....but, if you ever wore a jock strap, you'll respect his

Fans do give him credit. That doesn't seem to be good enough without blowing smoke about how great he is and what he can still bring to the team and making every excuse in the book. Denial is real. He was a very good RB but still way overvalued and overpaid. Some can't seem to accept that. Players decline in this league and Elliott has declined. Now the offense should no doubt be moving in another direction. That's not hate.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
For me, your statement claiming he didn’t have a lot of long runs (40+) is incorrect due to the stats provided. In todays game (I provided examples from 2016 and 2022), 3+ 40 yard runs is ”a lot”.

So by contextual definition, he did indeed have “a lot” of long (40+) yard runs.

Now if you want to discuss what’s a lot now compared to the 80’s that’s a whole different topic. I just wanted to provide some clarity to the fact that three 40+ yard carries his rookie year was in fact “a lot”. Not even considering the 20+ yarders.

And since the original point was about his speed coming into the league, he also had a long run in 2016 of 60 yards. Not to mention his screen verses Pittsburgh where he was clocked going over 20mph. Rookie Zeke was indeed one of the most explosive and fast backs in the sport.
I don’t consider 3 runs of 40+ yards a lot of long runs in a season. It’s a waste of time arguing opinions. BTW, I never disputed his speed entering his rookie season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Injured the last few years. Likely worse than we know. He is getting older and whether it was injury or age that hurt his burst. Will find out this year if he plays. If he takes a cheap contract I would give him a shot.

kevm3

Reaction score
Zeke has a punishing game akin to Marion Barber and as the bell cow back, you can only last so long running like that. Plus him being the blocker he is, that put even more strain on his body and the reality is, sooner or later, your body will just give.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
In Zeke's first two seasons, he was one of the best, or maybe the best, running back in the league. It was all downhill after that. In his last season, he was just a basic running back who could block pretty well and get you some short yardage when you need it. Other Cowboys running backs were productive way longer than Zeke. Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, and Emmitt Smith helped their teams way, way longer than Zeke did. Zeke was productive probably about as long as DeMarco Murray was.

What happened? I know some fans say that he got paid a bunch of money and then just got lazy. However, his play last season didn't look lazy to me. It looked like he was working really hard, but he just wasn't anywhere near as good as he used to be. Did his body just wear out? Or did he do a poor job training? Did the pandemic slow him down? What happened?
Poor training, all those trash cans videos showed that he worked out, but the workouts still looked slow just the way he played on the field. In still, people were saying the offense needs to run through him, WHY, clearly hasn't been the same, has lost so much speed