Why do I keep reading Jerry better pay Dak now?

Tussinman

Reaction score
On other forums I did see a ton of people scream "$#%# the franchise tag" and "#$@^ Jerry for not paying him" but I don't understand there view

The whole point of the franchise tag is to give the owners and players time to reach a good deal and that's exactly what happened, Daks agent choose to decline it and paid the consequence.

In regards to the future if Dak heals I could see him doing something like a moderate 2 year deal, something like 2 years for a total of 60-65 million. Would give the cowboys some relief and his 2020-2022 totals would still be near 100 million total. Would also set him up perfectly to get paid in 2023 when the cap is going to skyrocket

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If Dalton totally turns this season around and shows that other QBs can take advantage of the offensive talent on this team, it should certainly make Jerry consider that he can get good results without overpaying the QB position with 40 million a year when the same results could be had for 20-25 million a year.
The same results won't be had for 20-25 million, because quality starting quarterbacks do not exist in that range. Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, and Alex Smith are the only three quarterbacks in the league who make between 20 and 25. Rivers, Brady and Brees all make 25 exactly. One is on a bad offense, one doesn't play, and one is terrible. Brees and Rivers are totally washed, and Brady is Brady.

If you're Dallas, and you're going to make Andy Dalton your starter, he's going to ask for $30m. It is the going rate for starting quarterbacks.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
In regards to the future if Dak heals I could see him doing something like a moderate 2 year deal, something like 2 years for a total of 60-65 million. Would give the cowboys some relief and his 2020-2022 totals would still be near 100 million total. Would also set him up perfectly to get paid in 2023 when the cap is going to skyrocket
Absolutely 0 incentive for Dak to do that. If he's going to take a short-term deal, the starting number is $38 million

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You look on twitter & on the media you see players and fans that Jerry better pay Dak now.

As if its Jerry's fault Dak didn't sign a long term contract. Like the Cowboys didn't offer him a 5 year deal making north of 37 million a year & 110 + million in guarantees.

Reports are week 1 last year both sides agreed to a verbal "handshake" deal and it was Dak & his agent that backed out of that deal.

Dak & his agent bet on themselves & now it looks like they lost. I wish Dak didn't get hurt. I think that is obvious nobody wanted that but now that he did this should help out the Cowboys.

Is that fair? Yes! Absolutely its fair. And Jerry & the Cowboys should use this injury to their advantage.

Just like Dak was using the franchise tag to his advantage. Dak had no issue holding the Cowboys franchise hostage. "this is just business". How many times did we hear that.

Well now Cowboys should be in the driver's seat & they should play hardball. They should have a backup plan going into the off-season. A plan that lets Dak test the market because no team is paying Dak 40 million a year... in a year the cap shrinks. Not after this injury. By the time Dak can do football stuff, free agency will have already began. Teams will be spending cap & I cannot see teams paying out a massive contract when they do not even know the health of Dak.

My hope is Dalton plays good & wants to stay in Dallas. Doesn't mind being a backup. Dallas can get Dak on a cheap 2 or 3 year deal to prove he is healthy.

But what Dallas doesnt need to do is over pay him now because they should have zero guilt on Dak getting injured. The game Dak & his agent played can backfire and it did. And Cowboys should reep the rewards of it backfiring because if it played out Dak's way, they had all intentions of reaping those rewards.

Most fans/media are morons and create a large number of moronic tweets...

I said in the off-season that Dak's agent was giving him bad advice.

The agent wanted to part ways with CAA before Dak signed the big contract but the agent was bound by contract until just before the deadline for deals to be signed by Franchised players.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ridiculous. You can't be serious, K? Dalton got lucky the team stepped it up as soon as Dak went down.
Dalton is a great bus driver. He's going to be better than Dak at consistently moving the ball. Dak will be better at big plays, and better in the clutch.

I don't take sides. I'm hoping we're coming upon a Kitna situation where Romo learned a ton about ball control from Kitna. I'm thinking this is the same situation.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Absolutely 0 incentive for Dak to do that. If he's going to take a short-term deal, the starting number is $38 million
With the cap going down he won't have that power. Short term deals don't give them an option to prorate money down the line. There not taking a near 40 million dollar cap hit on a short term deal

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Imagine having something like this at QB..

There would be no arguments.

The Chargers get him for 5 years on a rookie deal..

I would not play this Dak game.. QBs are easier then ever to find. Stop settling for mediocre and paying mediocre elite QB money.

The Cowboys run as a circus with Jerry and his son as the ringmasters..... don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
With the cap going down he won't have that power. Short term deals don't give them an option to prorate money down the line. There not taking a near 40 million dollar cap hit on a short term deal
We a) don't know if the cap is going to go down or how much and b) I said Dak isn't going to do 2x$65.

The Cowboys don't want short-term, but that's what you posited. Dak still has all the leverage.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Dak still has all the leverage.
That's why I think he'll do it. That's what him and his agent wanted, to get to being as close to a free agent in 2023 as possible. It benefits the cowboys short term as well so I think it's for sure a possiblity (they'll pitch it as it helps both of us)

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's why I think he'll do it. That's what him and his agent wanted, to get to being as close to a free agent in 2023 as possible. It benefits the cowboys short term as well so I think it's for sure a possiblity (they'll pitch it as it helps both of us)
It does not benefit Dak to take a 2-year deal at, say, $32.5m, when he can make $37.5m in year one and then way more than on the third tag (no shot) or as a FA.

You're asking him to give a hometown discount that has absolutely 0 benefit to him because it's less money without increasing term. The only way less AAV makes sense for Dak is if he gets something like a 9 or 10-year deal with huge guarantees. Something like 9x$342 - but I'm not doing that if I'm either party lol

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dalton is a great bus driver. He's going to be better than Dak at consistently moving the ball. Dak will be better at big plays, and better in the clutch.

I don't take sides. I'm hoping we're coming upon a Kitna situation where Romo learned a ton about ball control from Kitna. I'm thinking this is the same situation.
I hope you're right about Dalton being able to consistently move the ball, especially behind this makeshift Oline where opposing Defenses will be bringing the heat to take advantage of our inexperienced Tackles, rookie Center, average-at-best Left Guard and fairly immobile statue and old backup QB in Andy Dalton.

kskboys

Reaction score
It does not benefit Dak to take a 2-year deal at, say, $32.5m, when he can make $37.5m in year one and then way more than on the third tag or as a FA.

You're asking him to give a hometown discount that has absolutely 0 benefit to him because it's less money without increasing term. The only way less AAV makes sense for Dak is if he gets something like a 9 or 10-year deal with huge guarantees.
And that's what the Cowboys want, a long term deal. Why does Dak not think it makes sense?

kskboys

Reaction score
I hope you're right about Dalton being able to consistently move the ball, especially behind this makeshift Oline where opposing Defenses will be bringing the heat to take advantage of our inexperienced Tackles, rookie Center, average-at-best Left Guard and fairly immobile statue and old backup QB in Andy Dalton.
That's what he's shown so far.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You look on twitter & on the media you see players and fans that Jerry better pay Dak now.

As if its Jerry's fault Dak didn't sign a long term contract. Like the Cowboys didn't offer him a 5 year deal making north of 37 million a year & 110 + million in guarantees.

Reports are week 1 last year both sides agreed to a verbal "handshake" deal and it was Dak & his agent that backed out of that deal.

Dak & his agent bet on themselves & now it looks like they lost. I wish Dak didn't get hurt. I think that is obvious nobody wanted that but now that he did this should help out the Cowboys.

Is that fair? Yes! Absolutely its fair. And Jerry & the Cowboys should use this injury to their advantage.

Just like Dak was using the franchise tag to his advantage. Dak had no issue holding the Cowboys franchise hostage. "this is just business". How many times did we hear that.

Well now Cowboys should be in the driver's seat & they should play hardball. They should have a backup plan going into the off-season. A plan that lets Dak test the market because no team is paying Dak 40 million a year... in a year the cap shrinks. Not after this injury. By the time Dak can do football stuff, free agency will have already began. Teams will be spending cap & I cannot see teams paying out a massive contract when they do not even know the health of Dak.

My hope is Dalton plays good & wants to stay in Dallas. Doesn't mind being a backup. Dallas can get Dak on a cheap 2 or 3 year deal to prove he is healthy.

But what Dallas doesnt need to do is over pay him now because they should have zero guilt on Dak getting injured. The game Dak & his agent played can backfire and it did. And Cowboys should reep the rewards of it backfiring because if it played out Dak's way, they had all intentions of reaping those rewards.

Because Stephen A wants it so........:confused:

Bigdog

Reaction score
You don't know that yet. How much strength will there be in the ankle? Dak will have to be able to run and plant his foot. He is going to need ankle strength. Will the injury heal? Will he need additional surgeries?

We just don't know yet.
When this happened to me although I did not break the ankle but had a 3rd degree sprain on the inside part of the ankle, strengthening the muscles and ligaments around it was the key. I remember the trainer having me write the alphabet with my foot to get the flexibility back.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Interesting topic and equally interesting conversation. A few personal thoughts:

While JJ may be viewed as one of the best "player" owners - he is an acknowledged softie when it comes to his favorite players - this is still a business and I fully expect the team to approach future negotiations in that fashion.

No, I don't believe JJ is obligated to pay Dak now. It is unfortunate that a long term deal wasn't reached. However, there is a reason the NFL has the franchise tag and, like it or not, the player's association agreed to it. Dallas did nothing more or less than looking out for the best interest of the team. Dak, for his part, was doing nothing for or nothing less than "accepting"the tag.

I really don't expect the negotiating positions to change. Dak bet on himself prior to the 2020 season and expect he will do the same when negotiations resume.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Great stat line, I believe most of the football purist fans put more stock in the win/loss column.

Ya it’s hard to believe that his passing performance hasn’t improved our league worst defense.

:lmao:

ondaedg

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting his value has changed at all. Only saying that people that suggest that this injury should compel Jerry to get a contract signed at any cost are clueless.

Assuming that he heals like they’re expecting his value shouldn’t change. And if you think about it he was playing at an even higher level than last season so if anything his value may be peaking. I don’t think there will be any “sorry about the injury” contracts.

Tussinman

Reaction score
It does not benefit Dak to take a 2-year deal at, say, $32.5m, when he can make $37.5m in year one and then way more than on the third tag (no shot) or as a FA.

You're asking him to give a hometown discount that has absolutely 0 benefit to him because it's less money without increasing term. The only way less AAV makes sense for Dak is if he gets something like a 9 or 10-year deal with huge guarantees. Something like 9x$342 - but I'm not doing that if I'm either party lol
he would basically take a 12 million dollar hit over 2 years by doing the short-term deal but it would result in him making 50 to 60 more million dollars by signing in 2023

He'd help the team improve and make more money long-term. Him and his agent are very adamant about 2023 so I wouldn't be shocked if he took guaranteed money now with the chance to bank in 3 years