Why Do People Say That Our Defense Lost The Game?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2301056 said:
I agree and I will even say that the defense lost it. But I still have yet to be convinced that our offense was what put our defense in a poor situation. The last 10 minutes when you have already been out for more than 30 minutes of game is not going to be good. That was what we loved about our offense. We beat people on the clock, got their defense tired, then Marion came in and ate them for dinner. It is done to us and all of a sudden the offense gets a free pass.

I am not saying that we didn't win because the offense couldn't put up the points, I am saying that the offense kep the defense out there entirely too long.

Our defense sucks and they give up to many points. If our offense didn't put up 28+ the past year we would be in serious trouble. There's no justification for this sad soft sorry excuse for a defense that we have right now. Sunday proved that we can't count on our defense to pull out a win for us when the offense is struggling.

jwhardin

Reaction score
Many, many moons ago, I remember a play off game against detroit. Dallas won 5 - 0. That's how defense should be played

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2301038 said:
then explain why we punted more than they did ????

Sigh... I thought I did. 11 rushes for 44 yards. 19 incompletions. A 6.4 average yards per pass.

TwentyOne said:
How many points did the Giants defense give up against the Commanders ? How many did the Giants Offense score to win it ? And are we supposed to play better on Defense talent wise ?
Another reason is our offense scored 24 points and raced up about 400 yds. Even if it looked like a mediocre performance by our offense 24 points should have been more than enough.

Ok, the Skins played horrible that game. Not sure how that equates into things. And we got 344 yards. And out of that 344, 6 punts. giants had 354 yards (10 more than us) and only 4 punts. Why, because 154 of those yards came on the ground to eat the clock.

TwentyOne said:
on key downs our defense was like butter and Portis kept gliding through it.

And Newman STUNK it up, I mean come on... James Trash is scoring on us. Not to mention how bad he bit on the pump fake that let Randel El get what seemed like a 50 yard pass down the sideline.

Our secondary was a joke.

This I will whole heartedly agree with. Newman was horrible and Portis ate us up in the second half. My point for the second half is from time spent on the field. The point about Neman is not one of coaching but that he just plain sucked. The coaching failure in this game was not on Wade and Stew.. it was on the offense. I fully expect it to be corrected this Sunday.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2300970 said:
I am just curious as to how bad our D really played. We forced Washington to punt on their first three drives. Washington's only two TD's came in a horrible second quarter of play. Even against Phili, it was our offense that gave them the short field and fumbled in the endzone for two of their scores.

Our offensive gameplan was horrible and it crippled our offense as well as our defense. I am not trying to preach but really want to know how the loss can be placed on Wade and Stewart but not on Garrett. Dallas had the ball for a little more than a third of the game. That is horrible. Washington didn't panic when we went up by 7, we panicked when they went up by 7. Our offense abandoned the run way too early and focused on Owens entirely too much. It didn't do what they have done the previous three weeks of taking what the defenses are giving them. In short; the Dallas offense didn't give their defense a fighting chance.

Now I like Wade but I am not certain he is the guy to get us over the hump. I am a believer that you don't hire a coach who can't win playoff games to be the head coach of a team that can't win playoff games. I think he is an asset to the team but I am tired of his, "This is on me, guys" approach. I just don't see how all fingers are pointed at him or that our defense didn't show. It may not be the packages that you guys want to see, but most breaks in our defense has been caused by the offense. Yet not one single thread about Jerry firing poor Jason.

did you watch the game? they had almost 400 yds of offense, no turnovers, 6scoring drives and after the first two drives, we basically couldnt do anything against their offense.

bottom line is if you score 24 pts at home, you should win, especially if you dont turn the ball over alot (and we had only 1)

the defense blew it...they've played 4 games and been lousy in two of them, mediocre in 1 and ok in another...thats not what we should be seeing

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2301063 said:
Our defense sucks and they give up to many points. If our offense didn't put up 28+ the past year we would be in serious trouble. There's no justification for this sad soft sorry excuse for a defense that we have right now. Sunday proved that we can't count on our defense to pull out a win for us when the offense is struggling.

So you are saying that Dallas' failure to stop Portis in the 4th had nothing to do with being out there for 40 minutes and everything to do with Stew and his passive style of defense?

You are saying that if our scoring drives totaled 25 minutes of clock instead of 8, then that would have had no change on them stopping Portis in the 4th like they were stopping him in the 1st?

This can all be pinned 100% on Wade and Stew?

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
dbair1967;2301088 said:
did you watch the game? they had almost 400 yds of offense, no turnovers, 6scoring drives and after the first two drives, we basically couldnt do anything against their offense.

bottom line is if you score 24 pts at home, you should win, especially if you dont turn the ball over alot (and we had only 1)

the defense blew it...they've played 4 games and been lousy in two of them, mediocre in 1 and ok in another...thats not what we should be seeing

I did see the game. I guess I can just view an entire game and just not the parts I want to yell and scream about. How is that working for you, anyway?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2301096 said:
So you are saying that Dallas' failure to stop Portis in the 4th had nothing to do with being out there for 40 minutes and everything to do with Stew and his passive style of defense?

You are saying that if our scoring drives totaled 25 minutes of clock instead of 8, then that would have had no change on them stopping Portis in the 4th like they were stopping him in the 1st?

This can all be pinned 100% on Wade and Stew?

Yeah thats what I'm saying. Is it or is it not a coaches jobs to fire up and motivate their player?S What ever adjustments they made at half time just made things worse. 12 men on the field after a penalty that's cute. I'm sure Wade or Stewart isn't at fault for that either.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2301099 said:
I did see the game. I guess I can just view an entire game and just not the parts I want to yell and scream about. How is that working for you, anyway?

Once again if we can't lean on the defense when the offense is struggling what should we do?

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2301113 said:
Yeah thats what I'm saying. Is it or is it not a coaches jobs to fire up and motivate their player?S What ever adjustments they made at half time just made things worse. 12 men on the field after a penalty that's cute. I'm sure Wade or Stewart isn't at fault for that either.

True. IMHO, a head coaches one and only job is to fire up and motivate his team for wins. This is my biggest issue with Wade. I think he is a great coach but lacks the ability to get his people to die for him. To fight, sure, but not to die (yes, i am exagerating to make the point more visible). there were coaching mistakes. My point is everyone is sure fire fast to point out theirs, but real quick to sweep Garrett's (or Romo's) under the carpet. But I agree that the head coaches job is to motivate the team.

DaBoys4Life;2301113 said:
Once again if we can't lean on the defense when the offense is struggling what should we do?

One game and we are on to a new one. I think every position and every player was out played and out coached last week. Impossible to lay the blame on the feet of just Wade.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2301132 said:
True. IMHO, a head coaches one and only job is to fire up and motivate his team for wins. This is my biggest issue with Wade. I think he is a great coach but lacks the ability to get his people to die for him. To fight, sure, but not to die (yes, i am exagerating to make the point more visible). there were coaching mistakes. My point is everyone is sure fire fast to point out theirs, but real quick to sweep Garrett's (or Romo's) under the carpet. But I agree that the head coaches job is to motivate the team.

One game and we are on to a new one. I think every position and every player was out played and out coached last week. Impossible to lay the blame on the feet of just Wade.

Wade says put the blame on him he is the head coach. If we can't blame him for our boys coming out flat against the skins like that then who do we blame? Once again I think people are harping on the defense is because its the same defense that some of us have been complaining about during the preseason. Yeah we have a high powered offense right now and we are winning mainly because of them. It would be nice to see in the clutch the defense come up with a key turnover or a key stop. They failed to do that we can only lean on the offense so much. FYI our defense is giving up 22 points a game.

hutru01

Reaction score
This loss was not just because of our defense though. Our offense is just as much to blame as the defense. But I give more credit to the Commanders than anything. They just wanted it more.

dfense

Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2300970 said:
I am just curious as to how bad our D really played. We forced Washington to punt on their first three drives. Washington's only two TD's came in a horrible second quarter of play. Even against Phili, it was our offense that gave them the short field and fumbled in the endzone for two of their scores.

Our offensive gameplan was horrible and it crippled our offense as well as our defense. I am not trying to preach but really want to know how the loss can be placed on Wade and Stewart but not on Garrett. Dallas had the ball for a little more than a third of the game. That is horrible. Washington didn't panic when we went up by 7, we panicked when they went up by 7. Our offense abandoned the run way too early and focused on Owens entirely too much. It didn't do what they have done the previous three weeks of taking what the defenses are giving them. In short; the Dallas offense didn't give their defense a fighting chance.

Now I like Wade but I am not certain he is the guy to get us over the hump. I am a believer that you don't hire a coach who can't win playoff games to be the head coach of a team that can't win playoff games. I think he is an asset to the team but I am tired of his, "This is on me, guys" approach. I just don't see how all fingers are pointed at him or that our defense didn't show. It may not be the packages that you guys want to see, but most breaks in our defense has been caused by the offense. Yet not one single thread about Jerry firing poor Jason.
You're blind. The defense could not stop Washington in the 4th quarter. Washington stopped themselves.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
They moved the ball at will on our defense most of the game.

Mansta54

Reaction score
hutru01;2301152 said:
This loss was not just because of our defense though. Our offense is just as much to blame as the defense. But I give more credit to the Commanders than anything. They just wanted it more.

The Foreskins played a flawless game, damn near perfect. Zero turnovers, ran the ball, stopped the run, and solid ST play. Lawd knows we didn't in all phases of the game but it took damn near perfection to beat us at home by 2pts.. Just sayin..

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
dfense;2301158 said:
The defense could not stop Washington in the 4th quarter...

Sigh.. Am I the only one seeing my point? It isn't that they failed down the stratch, it is why they failed down the stretch. Oh well, I will bow out. I was wrong in thinking the offense did us no favors and the lack of preduction in the 4th might have something to do with our offense being on the field for just one hour of a three hour game. But most all I get is the same line regurgitated. If I am alone then I can live with that. Washington played a very good game and now on to Cinn. Sorry for wasting everyones time :)

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Mansta54;2301163 said:
The Foreskins played a flawless game, damn near perfect. Zero turnovers, ran the ball, stopped the run, and solid ST play. Lawd knows we didn't in all phases of the game but it took damn near perfection to beat us at home by 2pts.. Just sayin..

Good point ;)

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2301164 said:
Sigh.. Am I the only one seeing my point? It isn't that they failed down the stratch, it is why they failed down the stretch. Oh well, I will bow out. I was wrong in thinking the offense did us no favors and the lack of preduction in the 4th might have something to do with our offense being on the field for just one hour of a three hour game. But most all I get is the same line regurgitated. If I am alone then I can live with that. Washington played a very good game and now on to Cinn. Sorry for wasting everyones time :)

who care about the why the why = an excuse. Once again if our defense can't win games for us we are in trouble. We give up 22 points per game right now.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2301169 said:
who care about the why the why = an excuse. Once again if our defense can't win games for us we are in trouble. We give up 22 points per game right now.

No excuse. Washington played a better game plan against us. If it is felt as an excuse then no less of one than saying we didn't attack and that was the reason.

I am cool with revisiting this now after our next three games. We played out toughest stretch and are 3-1 and allowing 22pts. I challenge that the average points allowed per game will differ greatly over the next three games.