Why Do People Say That Our Defense Lost The Game?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
jdnelson103;2302379 said:
I couldn't agree more.

I think both sides will make up for it this game to prove a point to everyone at ESPN that thinks this is a glimpse of things to come. Maybe 45-6? A tleast I'd like to think so.
I would love that score!!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2302211 said:
If you watched the Baltimore/Pittsburgh game you saw both defenses getting themselves off the field. One team's defense would stop the other and the other defense would return the favor.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore have good defenses, for sure, but they both have pathetic offenses.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2302355 said:
I take your point. I just feel that one of the reasons the Cowboys only had the ball for a third of the game was because the defense couldn't stop the Commanders offense.

The defense was about 60 percent to blame for the time of possession difference, and the offense was about 40 percent to blame.

The average possession in the NFL lasts about 2:41. Our offense's average possession Sunday lasted 1:59. Our defense's average possession allowed was 3:41 (not including the kneel-down possession, which would artificially lower the average). In other words, every time we exchanged possessions, we lost the time battle by an average of 1:42 -- with 42 seconds being the offense's fault (had possession for less time than average) and 60 seconds being the defense's fault (couldn't get off the field in an average amount of time). That makes the blame a 59/41 percent split.

LeonDixson

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2302395 said:
Pittsburgh and Baltimore have good defenses, for sure, but they both have pathetic offenses.
And Washington and Dallas both have good offenses with ours being even better than theirs. If their D can stymie our O, then our D should be able to stymie theirs, unless they just have a much better D than we do.

LeonDixson

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2302430 said:
The defense was about 60 percent to blame for the time of possession difference, and the offense was about 40 percent to blame.

The average possession in the NFL lasts about 2:41. Our offense's average possession Sunday lasted 1:59. Our defense's average possession allowed was 3:41 (not including the kneel-down possession, which would artificially lower the average). In other words, every time we exchanged possessions, we lost the time battle by an average of 1:42 -- with 42 seconds being the offense's fault (had possession for less time than average) and 60 seconds being the defense's fault (couldn't get off the field in an average amount of time). That makes the blame a 59/41 percent split.

I'll accept your breakdown of the blame. I never said that all the blame belongs on the offense.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think the question is legitimate. First of all the Dallas Cowboys lost the game. Not the offense or defense. If you want to play the blame game then blame everyone who stepped on the field or coached in the game.

It's not a simple question with a simple answer. You can quote stats or state the defense needed a stop so the offense could have the ball back. That's true. Or you could say if the offense had not had so many 3 and outs then the defense would have been more rested at the end. They were worn out. Part of that's on them and part of its on the offense.

Or you could say the problem was the Commanders who won the game and beat us in all three arenas.

We lost. They won. Both sides of the ball have work to do as does the STs. Only Folk had a really good game.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
hutru01;2301796 said:
I watched the entire game, so I don't know who this is directed to. To say that if you score 24 points in the NFL means that you should win the game just isn't realistic. (Look at the last Monday night game with the Eagles for instance)

Yes, our defense sucked and the Commanders picked it apart, but is that the ONLY reason we lost the game, hell no. We had plenty of opportunities on offense to put up more than 24 points and win this football game. Period.

don't forget this post :signmast:
hutru01;2302291 said:
First of all, they are more than capable with that much talent on the field, in which, they didn't use. I didn't say anything about holding the opposition to 20 and lower being out of the question. Where did that come from?

:huh:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Dallas offensive 3-and-out's
at CLE: 2
PHI: 2
at GB: 1
WAS: 4

Dallas defensive 3-and-out's forced
at CLE: 4
at GB: 4
WAS: 2

hutru01

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life:

Look, if that is what you get out of that post, fine. I don't agree with you, but I do respect your opinion.

My whole point as I will state one more time, is that the Cowboys lost as a TEAM to a good Commanders football team that wanted the game more. If you honestly think that 100% of the blame is on the defense, I disagree with you and would question your knowledge of football. And in case you are wondering, I do believe that the defense could take the majority of the blame, but not ALL of it.

hutru01

Reaction score
percyhoward;2302623 said:
Dallas offensive 3-and-out's
at CLE: 2
at GB: 1
WAS: 4

Dallas defensive 3-and-out's forced
at CLE: 4
at GB: 4
WAS: 2

Oh, but it was 100% of the defense's fault according to some in this thread. :laugh2:

Nexx

Reaction score
hutru01;2303223 said:
Oh, but it was 100% of the defense's fault according to some in this thread. :laugh2:

i dont see how that supports the defense..

our defense only forced 2.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Why Do People Say That Our Defense Lost The Game?

I dunno. Beats me!!!

hutru01

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2306519 said:
man, we have a long way to go on D

If they keep that kind of play up, we will get beat down the road for sure.
Romo can't go a game without throwing a INT! :banghead:

As for the D, keep in mind that Roy Williams is out. They did have some good stops this game, but they just aren't that great of a defense IMHO. The offense came through just when they needed it. At least they ran the ball more and got Felix Jones in on the action this week.

The Cowboys were lucky to come away with a win yesterday.

One thing to note.....The Giants went to OT with the Bengals in Week 3 and barely won. The Bengals might be 0-5, but I think they are a lot better than their record might state.

FCBarca

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2306519 said:
man, we have a long way to go on D

And for me, that's what any of this has been about...The D does have a long way to go...Any spin to the contrary is just that, spin.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
FCBarca;2312360 said:
And for me, that's what any of this has been about...The D does have a long way to go...Any spin to the contrary is just that, spin.

This thread is still alive?? Sheesh. Sorry guys ;)

So people don't think that our D stepped up yesterday? I don't get it. We gave up field goals instead of TD's when they started on our side of the 50 around 4 times at least. Our offense didn't really too much either and when it came down the stretch, they held them.

They aren't keeping people to 0 but look at the offenses we have played. Washington is on fire this month. We manned agianst Philli when McNabb was on an upswing game (washington gets him on a backswing game :/ ). We get Palmer passing to Johnson, Whosyourmama and Chatman. We have Rodgers throwing to Jennings every single passing play. We have faced some hardcore offenses and walked away with W's. That isn't to say that the ship isn't sinking but it is saying that I think most here are expecting unrealistic results because just because we replaced people with Jones, Jenkins and Scandrick.