Why do we care what players get paid?

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah seen your point on this forum many times in the past, valid for some not for all.

Money being paid does have to do with how people like a player as well. You pay a player with high salary cap, what happens if they flop and you have to cut them or it was a mistake? They get seriously injured and become dead weight?
Some here argue, and I am on the fence myself, that we are throwing top money, hence locking ourselves up, to one guy in Dak. Is there better talent to be found, I am sure of it? Could Dak be good enough to get us to Superbowl? Yeah seen it happen.

I see your point that you are making, but I think money is valid am argument just as much as anything else.
Yes, Dak could be good enough. But not if he takes too big of a chunk.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Yes, Dak could be good enough. But not if he takes too big of a chunk.
That's the key. You and others have mentioned before how when Brees was signed to a huge contract years ago, the team suffered because they couldn't afford to field a quality defense or OL. I'd throw in Wilson with a terrible OL, Rodgers who hasn't had a decent defense until last year.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I don't see a better option in the future, much less to win now. That's not to say their might not be one, but I certainly can't name who that would be.
This is that disingenuous babble logic. You don’t need to have an exact name to know you can improve are you and others serious. Well I need to improve but I can’t do it again until I get everything exactly right is the talk ime of below average people. When you know something isn’t right you get to improving and worrying about the super exact stuff later. Nobody thought Dak would even be this average or Mahommes would be Mahommes or he would’ve went number 1. The point is you make an educated guess based on the work you put in to improve in whatever you’re working towards improving.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What's funny is that they get mad at the player. Owners are the ones who wanted a salary cap. Players would love to get rid of it.

They get mad at the players calling them greedy but it’s the salary structure in the NFL that’s allowing QBs that aren’t great to be overpaid. Naturally the players want to cash in and take advantage. With the Cowboys the players play for an owner who has given in to his star players. Jerry usually blinks first when it comes to contract holdouts.

blueblood70

Reaction score
All of this angst over Prescott and his salary to be, why does anyone care that's not paying it? Do you see a better option at QB to win now? Not in the future, win now with this team?

The thinking that he cuts a deal and they'll spend that on D studs, where does that come from? They've been the smallest spenders on salaries since 2016. They brought in Quinn who was fine as a pass rusher but not a good run defender and they went 8-8. They traded for him, they didn't go big in FA for him. They're not players in FA.

I don't care what they pay anybody, that's not football, that's not even a sport. This cap management stuff is utter nonsense.

I want my team to have the best possible players beginning with the ones I know about that have already shown it. That's why I want to keep Prescott, Cooper and Jones because I don't know the options and I think they give this team it's best chance to turn things back north.

If you are concerned about the future, that's different but I am not. I only care about this season and I have no idea what's going to happen to that cap or QB salaries but I suspect both are going up considerably.

I don't care if Prescott is the highest paid QB or Cooper as the WR or Jones as the CB because comparing them to others and salary comparing is ridiculous, we do not have access to those players. They are either worth keeping or they or not or they have a reasonable option to replace them. And there is no rookie at those 3 positions that is going to be as good as those 3 players.

These negotiations have taken over the forum and we're spending more time on the evil of the game, the money, than the game itself. You going to watch these players cash game checks or play on the field?

If you feel there are better options, FOR THIS SEASON, than these 3 players, that is one thing but money isn't the factor. This team is loaded to go hunting now, that's why this HC was hired, to turn this north and win now. Are they a true contender? Not sure but any one of those 3 players is removed makes it tougher.

This forum is supposed to be about football, not economics.
because we want a better overall team vs an average team with a player or too making way too much money against the cap..

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Won't matter, I can stop talking and you will still be embarrassed for me and tomorrow will be a new day but you'll still be an awesome person. Some things just never change.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son. LOL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
yes, that's what the bookkeeper wears when he writes the players' checks.

NO I get it, you are just a casual fan that probably isn't capable of grasping the bigger picture.

On Sundays you just sit down, drink a case, 3 burgers, and a couple pizza's and gain another 5 pounds. Wave your pom poms and then pass out. LOL

DFWJC

Reaction score
Prescott aside......

Surprised anyone would even ask a basic question like that. OF COURSE, fans should care what you pay for each player.

1. The league has a salary cap, so spending is spread over a full team. Is the team okay with the price with that in mind?
  2. Just in general (salary cap aside), you measure what you pay for something by how much for can get otherwise with that same money you are spending. Does this wash out okay?

Adding in Prescott.....
Also, if the OP wants to ask about Prescott specifically--which it seems that he did--then be upfront about it and put in the headline.
If we feel he checks both of the boxes just fine, then, by all means, sign the guy for whatever price both can agree upon.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
because we want a btettr overall team vs a a average team with a player or too making way too much money against the cap..

The key word is team. You are a better team if you manage your cap and have the flexibility to create moves if opportunity presents.

One player does not make a team. One player who handicaps your cap makes you weaker IMO. If that one player can't overcome the deficiencies of several lessor talented players, then that one player is more of a weakness. For the record, no matter how great the QB is, I don't believe that a single player can overcome the type of deficiencies I suggest above. That's just my opinion of things. This is why I can not get behind the idea that Dak, or really any player, is the key to the Cowboys being the best version of themselves and therefore, he must be kept or signed or whatever.

I'm not a believer in that theory.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
All of this angst over Prescott and his salary to be, why does anyone care that's not paying it? Do you see a better option at QB to win now? Not in the future, win now with this team?

The thinking that he cuts a deal and they'll spend that on D studs, where does that come from? They've been the smallest spenders on salaries since 2016. They brought in Quinn who was fine as a pass rusher but not a good run defender and they went 8-8. They traded for him, they didn't go big in FA for him. They're not players in FA.

I don't care what they pay anybody, that's not football, that's not even a sport. This cap management stuff is utter nonsense.

I want my team to have the best possible players beginning with the ones I know about that have already shown it. That's why I want to keep Prescott, Cooper and Jones because I don't know the options and I think they give this team it's best chance to turn things back north.

If you are concerned about the future, that's different but I am not. I only care about this season and I have no idea what's going to happen to that cap or QB salaries but I suspect both are going up considerably.

I don't care if Prescott is the highest paid QB or Cooper as the WR or Jones as the CB because comparing them to others and salary comparing is ridiculous, we do not have access to those players. They are either worth keeping or they or not or they have a reasonable option to replace them. And there is no rookie at those 3 positions that is going to be as good as those 3 players.

These negotiations have taken over the forum and we're spending more time on the evil of the game, the money, than the game itself. You going to watch these players cash game checks or play on the field?

If you feel there are better options, FOR THIS SEASON, than these 3 players, that is one thing but money isn't the factor. This team is loaded to go hunting now, that's why this HC was hired, to turn this north and win now. Are they a true contender? Not sure but any one of those 3 players is removed makes it tougher.

Exactly!!!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Prescott aside......

Surprised anyone would even ask a basic question like that. OF COURSE, fans should care what you pay for each player.

1. The league has a salary cap, so spending is spread over a full team, is the team okay with the price with that in mind?
  2. Just in general (salary cap aside), you measure what you pay for something by how much for can get otherwise with that same money you are spending. Does this wash out okay?

Adding in Prescott.....
Also, if the OP wants to ask about Prescott specifically--which it seems that he did--then be upfront about it and put in the headline.
If we feel he checks both of the boxes just fine, then, by all means, sign the guy for whatever price both can agree upon.

The longer I know you, and you and I both know that it's a long time, the more I like you DFW. Imagine that!

Very good post.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is that disingenuous babble logic. You don’t need to have an exact name to know you can improve are you and others serious. Well I need to improve but I can’t do it again until I get everything exactly right is the talk ime of below average people. When you know something isn’t right you get to improving and worrying about the super exact stuff later. Nobody thought Dak would even be this average or Mahommes would be Mahommes or he would’ve went number 1. The point is you make an educated guess based on the work you put in to improve in whatever you’re working towards improving.

Many of us could see how good Dak would be and he hasn't disappointed. The only people crying are trolls like you that got it all wrong and have been hoping for him to fail. He has made you look silly.

And yah, only idiots quit their current job before they have another one lined up.

You should be thanking your lucky stars we have a young stud QB like Dak that we are about to pay big money to.

But then what should we do? Your genius move? Let some other team desperate for a QB sign our guy and we go with Cooper Rush for the next 5 years until we get lucky? LOL

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL is a capped league. If you don't want to talk about cap issues, don't, but the cap and draft picks are resources from which an NFL team is built. That's the NFL.
Not the point at all. The cap isn't preventing the Cowboys from putting a contender together, player evaluation and selection is. If the cap is critical to building, why have they spent the least on salaries since 2016? Does the cap and draft picks belong in the same sentence?

If y'all want to use cap as in they've already overpaid for players like Lawrence and Elliott, that's one thing but some think the cap will just keep jumping every year, so why worry?

The cap has to do with managing their own salaries and keeping critical players, the draft has nothing to do with that. The Cowboys have had mediocre drafts since 2016 and are failing to bring in the replacements so they will have to pay more to keep just mid level players.

RoboQB

Reaction score
If it were up to the owners, they wouldn't reveal what any player gets paid for a variety of reasons.

This is all about agents advertising for themselves. They're like those ambulance chasers advertising what they got for clients.

If Todd France gets the highest contract for Prescott, that's one huge feather in his cap and he's high on players' radar, he's high already with the time and rumored offers made.. It is not about getting what one is worth, it's a cash grab.

There was a time when the players didn't know what other players were paid.
Pre- NFLPA, of course.

I wonder how many members that fixate on the salary cap are the same people
that turned the salary cap option OFF on their Madden games... lol

I love your ambulance chaser analogy. Pretty spot-on.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
Because greedy mfs like dak make it harder to field a decent team when he is taking most of the cap but not producing at that level or providing anything that helps the team win.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

There are a lot of reasons i care about the salaries of players. In general but especially when it comes to the team i am a fan of.
I dont want to go into all the reasons i have just one:

I do care about salaries of the players and i find it interessting to be informed about it because it influences my teams ability to put together a good roster.

For instance it for me is a big question wether my team should hand out Prescott a longerm and/or high paid deal. Of course i cant influence what my team does. But so watching games on TV does not either. Still i do it - because i am interessted in the future/faith of my team.

To go into more specifics about Prescott and why i would not hand him out a deal:

1. The probability to win SBs with low paid QBs (<=7% of your salary cap) is way higher then with a QB that is on a high salary. This is a fact.
  2. Whats not a fact is the Interpretation of 1.
    I for myself think that in the salary era you cant put enough talent around a QB when you already spent a lot of money for your QB.
  3. Precott had his chance in his first 4 years. The team from his first year on has had a great roster and was build to compete (remember we drafted Zeke for Romo and everybody thought this would be our year).
  4. The future: Precott couldnt lead us to a SB not even to a 2nd win in the playoffs. Not even with a high caliber roster. Inevitably we now will go into a timespan where we'll lose good players if we decide to hand Prescott out a big deal. So why should someone think he still will be able to lead us to the SB surrounded by less talent ? HE never showed the ability QBs like Mahomes, Rodgers, Manning, Favre etc.. has/had to cary a team with lesser talent.
  5. This situation is because of very bad FO management of the QB position: Because we did not put a lot of resources into the QB position we are now in a situation we already know from the one when we had to overpay Romo. And see where it lead us.
  6. Solution: LEARN! Right now its about buying time to find a franchise QB in the draft. So to me the only way is to exclusively Tag Prescott. Trade him afterwards and sign a stop gap in FA like Bridewater or keep Prescott and use the year to groom a QB. Even another FT in 2021 would be OK for me if you decide to put all your draft resources into 2021.
  7. But when i look at JJ and SJ i dont think we will see good decissions. Whiskey and stupidity kills all my hopes.

The situation with Cooper now is different:

1. If you decide to part find a new QB in the draft you need to make his life as easy as possible, and therefore you have to keep Cooper.
  2. If you decide to roll with Prescott you also have to keep him because Prescott needs a real #1 WR to be sucessfull.
So for the success of the team keeping Cooper to me is so much more important then keeping Prescott.

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
How on earth does the cap not matter? That is the ONLY reason I care about how much each player makes. This myth that it will always go up so the salaries don’t really matter is just that, a myth, because as the cap increases so do the salaries. Poorly managed teams get hamstrung by salary caps all the time.

If a player isn’t worth X amount of dollars due to performance, upcoming draft options, current team needs, etc and they over pay for that player it all trickles down and will eventually effect positions of more need.

Some people freely gloss over the obvious!

Of course it has everything to do with the salary cap. People could not care less about how much money elite sports people earn. I say well done fair play as they actually made it.

cowboyed

Reaction score
If the salary cap doesn't matter then why is there one in place? The fact that a team can't sign a player if they are over the salary cap should tell you it most certainly is very relevant. It is even a more critical financial management issue since free agency is tied in with it as well. Why has it compromised our team when we were overspending, back-loading contracts, cutting/losing players and contending with dead money? It put us in salary cap hell and we couldn't acquire the free agents we needed or keep more valued players on the roster.

The salary cap is a necessary evil for the NFL and teams to flourish long term. Even rich, reckless owners can spend themselves out of business at some point, and smaller market teams do deserve a shot to compete.

The salary cap is like a governor on an engine. It helps keep the teams from overspending to their detriment.

Last edited:

Quickdraw

Reaction score

We've seen what happens with over bloated contracts for a few "key" players. The rest of the team suffers.

If they truly want to play the game for the love of it, and for the Cowboys because of the history of the franchise, then they wouldn't be so greedy. Holding out for $40 million is selfish and greedy. It's not doing what's best for the team.

This includes all players, not just Prescott.