Why do we care what players get paid?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
All of this angst over Prescott and his salary to be, why does anyone care that's not paying it? Do you see a better option at QB to win now? Not in the future, win now with this team?

The thinking that he cuts a deal and they'll spend that on D studs, where does that come from? They've been the smallest spenders on salaries since 2016. They brought in Quinn who was fine as a pass rusher but not a good run defender and they went 8-8. They traded for him, they didn't go big in FA for him. They're not players in FA.

I don't care what they pay anybody, that's not football, that's not even a sport. This cap management stuff is utter nonsense.

I want my team to have the best possible players beginning with the ones I know about that have already shown it. That's why I want to keep Prescott, Cooper and Jones because I don't know the options and I think they give this team it's best chance to turn things back north.

If you are concerned about the future, that's different but I am not. I only care about this season and I have no idea what's going to happen to that cap or QB salaries but I suspect both are going up considerably.

I don't care if Prescott is the highest paid QB or Cooper as the WR or Jones as the CB because comparing them to others and salary comparing is ridiculous, we do not have access to those players. They are either worth keeping or they or not or they have a reasonable option to replace them. And there is no rookie at those 3 positions that is going to be as good as those 3 players.

These negotiations have taken over the forum and we're spending more time on the evil of the game, the money, than the game itself. You going to watch these players cash game checks or play on the field?

If you feel there are better options, FOR THIS SEASON, than these 3 players, that is one thing but money isn't the factor. This team is loaded to go hunting now, that's why this HC was hired, to turn this north and win now. Are they a true contender? Not sure but any one of those 3 players is removed makes it tougher.

This forum is supposed to be about football, not economics.

do you know what a salary cap is?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The players salaries are actually paid by the TV contracts and gambling proceeds going forward. That's their share and what forms the cap.

I do not get my TV for free but I could get the games for free over a terrestrial signal. And my goods are bought by me for me. I don't buy any of that other stuff and haven't in 30 years.

stop talking. I am embarrassed for you.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I very well understand about the existence of the salary cap but some here seem to think that's what has kept this team from doing anything in 25 years? Really?

This team has been mediocre evaluating talent except OL in the 1st round, the safest position to pick in the 1st round.

You really think these bozos paying one player or even players less will allow them to build a better team? Show me the proof of that. They are not good, they have to be lucky.

And those that don't want to pay the QB all that money, you want these people, the very same people that could have Lynch or Cook, finding another QB? You must have no regard for history or think people that have failed to do something for 25 years will suddenly discover how to do that by paying a player less?

These tools fall into a bed of roses, for them, you don't chance them not stepping in pile after pile of pony poo. If this were another FO, I might not feel this way but it is not, it is this one and the reason I say forget the cap, keep anyone worth a damn and hope for the best.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, follow along now with the intent of the thread. Until running out of cap is the problem instead of evaluating players, the salary cap doesn't matter.

Oh, if they only had more cap space, they could get player X. What FO have you been watching? Sure as hell isn't this one.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
OK, follow along now with the intent of the thread. Until running out of cap is the problem instead of evaluating players, the salary cap doesn't matter.

Oh, if they only had more cap space, they could get player X. What FO have you been watching? Sure as hell isn't this one.

If the Cowboys had more cap space they would have signed Earl Thomas, unless you are saying the Cowboys didn't think ET was a good player lol.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't care what they pay anybody, that's not football, that's not even a sport. This cap management stuff is utter nonsense.

The NFL is a capped league. If you don't want to talk about cap issues, don't, but the cap and draft picks are resources from which an NFL team is built. That's the NFL.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I think most fans in here are not so much concerned about what a a player deserves to get paid, but how it impacts the yearly salary cap imposed on teams by the league. It affects the number and type of players you can sign or retain relative to free agency.

glimmerman

Reaction score
All of this angst over Prescott and his salary to be, why does anyone care that's not paying it? Do you see a better option at QB to win now? Not in the future, win now with this team?

The thinking that he cuts a deal and they'll spend that on D studs, where does that come from? They've been the smallest spenders on salaries since 2016. They brought in Quinn who was fine as a pass rusher but not a good run defender and they went 8-8. They traded for him, they didn't go big in FA for him. They're not players in FA.

I want my team to have the best possible players beginning with the ones I know about that have already shown it. That's why I want to keep Prescott, Cooper and Jones because I don't know the options and I think they give this team it's best chance to turn things back north.

If you are concerned about the future, that's different but I am not. I only care about this season and I have no idea what's going to happen to that cap or QB salaries but I suspect both are going up considerably.

I don't care if Prescott is the highest paid QB or Cooper as the WR or Jones as the CB because comparing them to others and salary comparing is ridiculous, we do not have access to those players. They are either worth keeping or they or not or they have a reasonable option to replace them. And there is no rookie at those 3 positions that is going to be as good as those 3 players.

These negotiations have taken over the forum and we're spending more time on the evil of the game, the money, than the game itself. You going to watch these players cash game checks or play on the field?

If you feel there are better options, FOR THIS SEASON, than these 3 players, that is one thing but money isn't the factor. This team is loaded to go hunting now, that's why this HC was hired, to turn this north and win now. Are they a true contender? Not sure but any one of those 3 players is removed makes it tougher.

I think people worry about the cap. But it goes up every year. The thing is there is a market value for the position and if your a franchise QB then your agent knows it and is gonna push for the market price or a little more. To me there is a difference between a starting QB and a franchise QB. A starter is a QB you can win with but a franchise QB is one you want to build a team around for the future.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Do you get your TV for free, all your goods, your tickets, your stuff at the games, your jerseys and memorabilla.

Who pays for all those salaries,? Jerry or the fans?
Who do you think pays the players salaries. Keep drinking beer. That’s what pays them

mcmvp

Reaction score
Won't matter, I can stop talking and you will still be embarrassed for me and tomorrow will be a new day but you'll still be an awesome person. Some things just never change.

LOL...true

I admit when I first read the title of your thread I was confused - because of the obvious salary cap reason. But I hear your point better now.

It still matters what the players get paid in a hard cap league, but you're basically saying even if they got all players to take team friendly deals, the Jones Boys would still find a way to screw things up.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
This thread is like a *** movement.

We are Cowboys fans and we have seen the team, time and time again, over commit to the wrong players and then be unable to fill holes in the team using free agency and cut players we might not cut otherwise. I don't care one iota about Jerry's checkbook. I care about the Cowboys winning and giving out huge deals to Zeke, Tank, Jaylon and soon Dak+Amare may make that difficult.

Dallas is going to spend up to the cap every year. I will never call Jerry cheap. What individual players make has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what the fans pay.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
That's me too. That's why I don't care what they pay any of them, get them on the team and get them on the field, that's all I care about.

Now if someone sees a better option at QB because they don;t like Prescott at QB, that's different, just leave the money out of it. This is all about play, no pay.
Yeah seen your point on this forum many times in the past, valid for some not for all.

Money being paid does have to do with how people like a player as well. You pay a player with high salary cap, what happens if they flop and you have to cut them or it was a mistake? They get seriously injured and become dead weight?
Some here argue, and I am on the fence myself, that we are throwing top money, hence locking ourselves up, to one guy in Dak. Is there better talent to be found, I am sure of it? Could Dak be good enough to get us to Superbowl? Yeah seen it happen.

I see your point that you are making, but I think money is valid am argument just as much as anything else.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Fans are concerned about the salary cap and having one player eat up a high percentage of it. It can result in not being able to re-sign other players and top free agents.

What's funny is that they get mad at the player. Owners are the ones who wanted a salary cap. Players would love to get rid of it.

kskboys

Reaction score
I very well understand about the existence of the salary cap but some here seem to think that's what has kept this team from doing anything in 25 years? Really?

This team has been mediocre evaluating talent except OL in the 1st round, the safest position to pick in the 1st round.

You really think these bozos paying one player or even players less will allow them to build a better team? Show me the proof of that. They are not good, they have to be lucky.

And those that don't want to pay the QB all that money, you want these people, the very same people that could have Lynch or Cook, finding another QB? You must have no regard for history or think people that have failed to do something for 25 years will suddenly discover how to do that by paying a player less?

These tools fall into a bed of roses, for them, you don't chance them not stepping in pile after pile of pony poo. If this were another FO, I might not feel this way but it is not, it is this one and the reason I say forget the cap, keep anyone worth a damn and hope for the best.
Of course. However, the ones who were in on those poor decisions are now gone. There are signs Jerry will let McC have some say. So, we're looking at changes coming on. Will they be enough? Remains to be seen.