Why do we suck at drafting defensive tackles?

gtb1943

Reaction score
Pretty much this....Most teams are not good at drafting DTs, at least to what fans expect out of a DT. Finding a guy 290+ who can get to the QB is extremely rare. Also the fan theory that you can just plug in a fat guy who wont get pushed out isn't really true. In the modern game you need guys on the interior who can penetrate, but also move side to side and shed blocks. It really is a rare body size and skill set combo to find.
yet they are out there. Just like finding a elite QB you have to TRY to ever get one.

Skynet

Reaction score
There are a variety of reasons that others have mentioned. Drafting good defensive tackles is hard to do . The best defensive tackles in the draft are usually picked early. It takes rookie dt’s time to develop. Quality Free agent defensive tackles often expensive.The cowboys haven’t really invested much in the position until they drafted mazi smith. We have to wait a few years to see if he develops into a good player

Kingofholland

Reaction score
First let me say this isn't a thread to take a shot at Mozzy. this is more of an overall question. Over the last few years we seem to be good or great at drafting almost every other position but for some reason we just can't figure out defensive tackle Other than osa. Who else was a good to Great defensive tackle that we have drafted over the last few years. :(
1) I don't think we invest enough premium picks in the position. Mazi was the first DT we drafted in the first round since 1991 with Russell Maryland. Other than that I think Hill was the only other guy we drafted in the top 2 rounds over a similar time period. Other than that its been a few 3rd round picks, 2 in Osa and Collins who have atleast been solid starters. Gallimore and Blade were the others. That's not a lot investment in the position.

2) We still don't know enough about Mazi yet, but in Hill's case we listened to Marinelli too much despite the motor red flags. We probably have considered measurables/size too much in these cases rather than production and motor. Our 2 most successful DTs in recent memory Jay Ratliff and Glover were slightly undersized for their position, yet were great players.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Because like QB we just don't draft any players at DT. Mazi was a huge reach in the first, he should've been a 3rd round pick based off his draft stock/value. Terrible pick.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Zeke? Pollard?

LB is 50/50. if they are injured or injury prone, don't draft them. that simple.

we don't draft QBs high enough to determine if we are good at it or not. we just take 6th or 7th round flyers.we refuse to take them high u.;

we suck at DTs...I mean suck. we are pretty good at OL. pretty good at WR and TE, DBs. not good at safties.
Thank you for making the point a lot better than I did.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The Cowboys chose to keep vets Joseph & Philips along with OSA & Smith over a 5th DT Rogers the late rounder . He’s off to Cincy

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
It's primarily where we draft them. We're expecting starters in the third round and beyond. Look at Philly: Milton Williams, a third-round pick, is a decent player, but the Eagles haven't really relied on him to carry the position. Instead, they've primarily spent early to mid-first-round picks on the starters (Fletcher Cox-now retired, Jordan Davis, Jalen Carter).

We've spent one first-round pick on the position since 2005. Players taken in the fifth-seventh rounds (Quinton Bohanna, John Ridgeway, Justin Rogers) are always long shots to make an impact. I don't know how Mazi will turn out, and I definitely don't think Dallas is great at drafting DTs, but when you spend one first-round pick on the position in almost 20 years, this is what you're usually going to get unless you are lucky.

Since Parcells left, we've drafted five DTs in the first through third rounds. Parcells drafted five in two drafts (2005 and 2006), but he also was switching to the 3-4 so he needed the right kind of players for that. He also brought in NT Jason Ferguson, so he essentially completely rebuilt the line those two years (Spears, Canty, Ratliff, Ferguson, Hatcher and UDFA Stephen Bowen).
Taco and Mozzy were both first round picks. I just don't think we know what we're doing.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Because there aren’t very many good defensive tackles and it’s probably the riskiest position to draft because most guys are mediocre at best.
This is an excellent point. Defensive tackles have one of the biggest boom or bust factors. You can't measure a man's heart. Still it seems that others do a better job than we do.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
When you don't value the importance of the position, you don't understand how to go about drafting for it
This is what troubles me. Either we just don't know how to evaluate. Or we just don't care. I'm not sure which one is worse.

gtb1943

Reaction score
It’s the facts. I don’t blindly excuse Jerry for anything. He needs to retire he’s messing things up so much.
you seem to think you can separate Jethro from the rest of the organization you defend again and again

gtb1943

Reaction score
This is what troubles me. Either we just don't know how to evaluate. Or we just don't care. I'm not sure which one is worse.
I find it hard to figure out how we can do so well evaluating OL prospects and suck so bad at DT. and to be blunt DE to an extent as well

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Why not say, “The Cowboys are one of the best drafting teams in the NFL except for DT” but instead you chose “

Why do we suck at drafting defensive tackles?”​

Just an observation.
I'm not a hater.I say it all the time. In fact I probably say it more than anyone else. I have always been proud of this front office's ability to draft football players. Even when we have an off year we usually make up for it the next.That's what makes the defensive tackle position stick out like a sore thumb. Why that position and not others. At least not to that degree.