Why do we suck at drafting defensive tackles?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First, I think we have taken too many risks with the second round picks. Jerry and the FO always seem to be looking for that first round talent that falls to the second round because of injury, character issues, or something else. Of course, other teams do something similar as far as searching for value, but it seems you can always count on the Cowboys to "swing for the fence" in the second round.

Second, the Cowboys have shifted their defensive philosophy a lot in the last couple of decades, sometimes radically so. That seems particularly apparent along the interior defensive line.

Third, it just doesn't seem as though the Cowboys have put a premium value on DT in a long time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We haven't been good at QB, LB, or RB either.
that's a total TROLL remark,

really, I believe he meant historically like the last decade, no need after you get your franchise qb in the 4th round, id say that great drafting,

RB? So let see ES22, Murray, Zeke and pollard, Marion, Felix, and Juilus werent bad either. not great rbs huh in your eyes maybe ? lmao

sure you must be blind, by the way also linebacker they picked some great linebackers just turned out to be injury prone, Sean Lee, LVE, Jaylon and well technically parsons is a LB was when we drafted him ie OLB add in Ware to that. I mean Damion Wilson and Anthony Hitchens weren't bad either i mean the chiefs went and put both on their team.

all you can do is keep trying like we did at Safety, but op is correct DT is the only glaring position they have struggled to find.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak was a 4th rd pick. That's a homerun. Before that we had Romo. There was no reason to put any capital into drafting a QB.

Zeke was a great draft pick. Demarco Murray was a great draft pick. Marion Barber was a good draft pick. Julius Jones and Felix were misses. But I wouldn't say the Cowboys are bad at drafting RB's.

LB I would probably agree they have been bad at drafting. Although Michah is the best draft pick possible. LVE was good until the neck Injury. Jaylon Smith was a big mistake. Randy Gregory was a joke. Damien Wilson was OK. Anthony Hitchens was a good pick.

DT drafting is terrible. Just putrid.
The dude did not need to add that troll remark... Somehow, I think he just was thinking of this past two draft possibly, but he went out of his way to add those positions.

you left out Sean Lee hmm and Ware BTWE Jaylon smith was worth shot had a PB year but never could get past the injury..

blueblood70

Reaction score
First let me say this isn't a thread to take a shot at Mozzy. this is more of an overall question. Over the last few years we seem to be good or great at drafting almost every other position but for some reason we just can't figure out defensive tackle Other than osa. Who else was a good to Great defensive tackle that we have drafted over the last few years. :(
Look sometimes it happens we've been a great drafting team in all other positions.no team is perfect BTW OSA is great and getting better and btw all the hate Malik Collins got when he came here left and now turned out to be 1st team starter in SF got huge deal looks like a stud.. He got the Gallimore treatment while I was here from you fans but apparently lessons should be learned that you shouldn't give up on players and let them have time to develop, maybe Mazi fits that category.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Agree but when he was available I knew Jed and Jethro would not go get him.
No doubt. The Joneses' free agent philosophy applies to all outside free agents. They were burned by paying a lot for one who did not deserve it, so they decided none deserve it. So they only pay ours, sometimes even if they don't deserve it. Extremism is not a good way to build a team. Strategic use of free agency, along with drafting well, is.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's hard to draft DTs. Think of how many stud DTs have been drafted over the last 10 years compared to WRs or OLs or whatever other position. They're hard to find.

Combine that with the fact that Dallas never drafts them early, and you have your answer.
DT's are so important to your super bowl aspirations, the super bowl contenders keep trying, even if they fail a couple or few times.

kskboys

Reaction score
No doubt. The Joneses' free agent philosophy applies to all outside free agents. They were burned by paying a lot for one who did not deserve it, so they decided none deserve it. So they only pay ours, sometimes even if they don't deserve it. Extremism is not a good way to build a team. Strategic use of free agency, along with drafting well, is.
It's true. Jerry will do something one time, and then stop doing it if it doesn't work. Horrific way to think as a GM.

And Carr was absolutely not a #1 CB and never was. Same w/ Mo. When your player evaluation skills are that horrific, you cannot be an even passable GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
While the rest of the NFL was chasing WR's and CB's, Cincy quietly signed DJ Reader, Larry Ogunjobi, and Trey Hendrickson. Rode them to a super bowl. Remember when KC failed to score in the entire 2nd half in the AFC champ game? Yup.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's true. Jerry will do something one time, and then stop doing it if it doesn't work. Horrific way to think as a GM.

And Carr was absolutely not a #1 CB and never was. Same w/ Mo. When your player evaluation skills are that horrific, you cannot be an even passable GM.
Trouble is he's been stuck on this idea of not overpaying for free agents since Carr even though it has not worked.

Bill Parcells had taught him about the importance of drafting, after years of neglect while Jerry threw money around at free agents. And even though it took a years for the lessons Parcells taught him to sink in (see the 2009 draft), we finally got to the point where we were drafting on par with the best teams. Then, we quit using high-end free agency.

Roster building takes good drafting, strategic acquisitions of top free agents through signings or trades and good use of low-cost free agents. Since Jimmy, we have not done all three well at the same time. (Of course, FA was different in Jimmy's day but he did a good job of acquiring key pieces, such as Jay Novacek through Plan B free agency. And we added players like Tony Casillas and Charles Haley through trades.)

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is the defensive line on roster and practice roster:

Chauncy Golston DE 6 5 268

Linval Joseph DT 6 4 328

Marshawn Kneeland DE 6 3 268

DeMarcus Lawrence DE 6 3 265

Al-Quadim Muhammid DE 6 3 250

Osa Odighizuwa DT 6 2 280

Jordan Phillips DT 6 6 330

Mazi Smith DT 6 3 337

Tyrus Wheat DE 6 2 260

Denzel Daxon DT 6 2 304

Phil Hoskins DT 6 5 280

Carl Lawson DE 6 2 260

That includes four defensive tackles active. Three active that are 330 or above. Osi at 280.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
completely rebuilt the line those two years (Spears, Canty, Ratliff, Ferguson, Hatcher and UDFA Stephen Bowen).
That was a great Dline. They also had 2 1sts and were focused on the front 7. They got some good LBs too. The 34 just has diff kinds of players, I think that took people by surprise.

Even still Parcells had to bring in Ferguson because NT type guys are hard to find. Solid college DTs need a few years to bulk up and don’t normally get a lot of sacks or sell jerseys. I think it would be great if they draft for the defense…DE, DT, LB. It seems they might need to burn a year getting a QB and RB (which would be great also).

TwentyOne

Reaction score
First let me say this isn't a thread to take a shot at Mozzy. this is more of an overall question. Over the last few years we seem to be good or great at drafting almost every other position but for some reason we just can't figure out defensive tackle Other than osa. Who else was a good to Great defensive tackle that we have drafted over the last few years. :(
I dont think we suck at drafting DTs. We are medicore at it.

Just like we are at drafting in general. We are not a good drafting team. We are medicore at best.