Why do we suck at drafting defensive tackles?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It’s mostly about priority. The only two times in recent history I can remember you spent high draft picks on DTs, Hill and Mazi, they were over drafted for two completely different reasons.

Marinelli fell in love with Hill, and Mazi was the only DT rated before the 3rd round so it’d just be a worse reach if you waited to round 2.

No other times did you push the position, you never traded up for better value, you settled. Dallas does not value the position in the way they do pass rusher, CB, WR. In some ways that philosophy has worked out, in others it hasn’t.

starfan1

Reaction score
We haven't been good at QB, LB, or RB either.
Can’t agree with that . We had the nfl all time leading rusher , Dorsett and zeke who I felt was good but over rated in here anyway.

I think many organization would love to have had the qbs we have had

We haven’t had a lot of luck lately but we did hit on Russell Maryland , the manster , glover but I think we traded for him

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not a hater.I say it all the time. In fact I probably say it more than anyone else. I have always been proud of this front office's ability to draft football players. Even when we have an off year we usually make up for it the next.That's what makes the defensive tackle position stick out like a sore thumb. Why that position and not others. At least not to that degree.
You say you’re not a hater yet the vast majority of your posts are negative. I get it, there’s a lot to complain about. But there’s also some positives yet you and so many others would rather talk about the negatives. Just read your posts.

gtb1943

Reaction score
You say you’re not a hater yet the vast majority of your posts are negative. I get it, there’s a lot to complain about. But there’s also some positives yet you and so many others would rather talk about the negatives. Just read your posts.
this is so funny; someone who constantly attacks other posters for not agreeing with him saying this

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
I find it hard to figure out how we can do so well evaluating OL prospects and suck so bad at DT. and to be blunt DE to an extent as well
That's what I mean when I say it sticks out like a sore thumb. A for offensive line. F for defensive line.:huh:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The best DTs the majority of the time go high in the first round. Cowboys don't pick high in the first round very much.

CWR

Reaction score
Dak was a 4th rd pick. That's a homerun. Before that we had Romo. There was no reason to put any capital into drafting a QB.

Zeke was a great draft pick. Demarco Murray was a great draft pick. Marion Barber was a good draft pick. Julius Jones and Felix were misses. But I wouldn't say the Cowboys are bad at drafting RB's.

LB I would probably agree they have been bad at drafting. Although Michah is the best draft pick possible. LVE was good until the neck Injury. Jaylon Smith was a big mistake. Randy Gregory was a joke. Damien Wilson was OK. Anthony Hitchens was a good pick.

DT drafting is terrible. Just putrid.
Yeah it was a stupid response that did nothing to answer the question. Like someone needed attention. We do suck at DT. I've said before, if we could've gotten the Giants dline scouting and our oline scouting we'd be winning superbowls. Of course that was a few years back when they didn't miss on pass rushers.

Shane612

Reaction score
Defensive tackles must be difficult to evaluate.
Randy White, as a HOF DT, was an “accident”. For first couple of years Tom Landry didn’t know what to do with him. Then he tried him at DT, “rest is history”….as they say.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Bengals look loaded at DT. He and his agent look like idiots to me.

(6 DTs on the original 53)
Starters: Shelden Rankins, BJ Hill
Kris Jenkins 24/2, Zach Carter 22/3, McKinnley Jackson 24/3, Jay Tufele

Practice Squad
Domenique Davis

sbark

Reaction score
Defensive tackles must be difficult to evaluate.
Randy White, as a HOF DT, was an “accident”. For first couple of years Tom Landry didn’t know what to do with him. Then he tried him at DT, “rest is history”….as they say.
Yup, drafted as a MLB....

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Taco and Mozzy were both first round picks. I just don't think we know what we're doing.
Taco was an end. I thought this thread was about DTs. We haven't been quite as bad at end as we have at tackle. Lawrence was a very solid choice. Parsons has been great, although we didn't draft him as an end. We got some decent years out of Armstrong. Of course, we've drafted some duds as well like Taco, but our record there is better ... probably only because we've drafted more ends and spent more early picks there.

Truth is drafting is hit and miss for all teams. Some do better at some positions than others, but if you look at success rates, especially in those later rounds, you've got a 50/50 shot at success at best.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because even when they look at 1 technique they still look for Aaron Donald. In most cases outside of having a top 5-10 draft pick you aren't getting the guy they look from. Know what you can get? A big guy who can take on double teams consistently and it doesn't require a 1st round pick.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
First let me say this isn't a thread to take a shot at Mozzy. this is more of an overall question. Over the last few years we seem to be good or great at drafting almost every other position but for some reason we just can't figure out defensive tackle Other than osa. Who else was a good to Great defensive tackle that we have drafted over the last few years. :(
Maleik Collins was better than Osa