Why do we suck at drafting defensive tackles?

T-RO

Reaction score
1. There are very few excellent big DTs in the draft each season

2. Many of the real monsters get drafted in the top twenty of round one, before Dallas typically selects. This includes
  • Dexter Lawrence
  • Quinnen Williams
  • Derrick Brown
  • DeForest Buckner
  • Jeffery Simmons
  • Jalen Carter
  • Christian Wilkins
  • Jonathan Allen
  • Leonard Williams
  • Arik Armstead
  • Vita Vea
  • Ed Oliver

Creeper

Reaction score
First let me say this isn't a thread to take a shot at Mozzy. this is more of an overall question. Over the last few years we seem to be good or great at drafting almost every other position but for some reason we just can't figure out defensive tackle Other than osa. Who else was a good to Great defensive tackle that we have drafted over the last few years. :(
I was wondering the same thing. Other than OSA who have they drafted recently that has panned out for them? The drafted Ridgeway, who might be the most successful of them, which isn't saying much, but they waived him only to lose him to Washington who just traded him. Gallimore looked horrible his last year in Dallas and got cut by Miami this year after they signed him as a free agent. That is an indication he was not very good.. Bohanna got cut by Dallas and again this year by the Titans. The Cowboys drafted Justin Rogers this year and waived him only to lose him to the Bengals. Another Ridgeway?

And the drafted Mazi last year but he has been a huge disappointment so far. Some teams, like the Eagles and Giants are really good at drafting DTs. Dallas, not so much. It could be they don't value them the way other teams do which is why they waived Ridgeway and now Rogers.

kskboys

Reaction score
First let me say this isn't a thread to take a shot at Mozzy. this is more of an overall question. Over the last few years we seem to be good or great at drafting almost every other position but for some reason we just can't figure out defensive tackle Other than osa. Who else was a good to Great defensive tackle that we have drafted over the last few years. :(
1. DT's are very hard to draft. Need a heady GM to get one.
2. Need to understand skillsets/agility/instincts/motor to draft one. We don't.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Broaddus was on with Voch and he's now saying Mazi was better than Rogers in training camp/preseason, there were times Rogers looked better.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jerry loves old coaches because in his mind, it makes him feel relevant.

They bought hard into Rod Marinelli's thinking that they need to find Warren Sapp like 3Techs and have been married to that idea for years now despite not having any success finding those players or implementing the scheme.

Trysten Hill was an emotionally immature quitter, and all the glaring red flags were there, but he signed a napkin with Marinelli promising to work hard. Neville Gallimore was a one-trick pony with the gap discipline of Jerry at a Liquor Barn. Osa has shown some early season flashes but is allergic to the quarterback and has zero endurance.

Mazi was an overcorrection BUT again, they ignored very public question marks about him, made up stories about other teams wanting to draft him, and are once again paying the price.

We suck at drafting DT's because our Front Office doesn't have an established football personnel belief system. They change with the wind and are easily swayed by past-their-prime yes men who make the Joneses feel important.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Because we can't settle on a scheme....and that's the drawback of listening to the coaches during the draft.

kskboys

Reaction score
You’re actually right. I watch these drafts year in and year out….what is Jordan Davis doing? Or Kinlaw? There’s just no way to tell who will come in and shore your line up for you. Very tough position to find especially a one tech.
Correct.

So Jerry just gives up and throws a mid round pick or 2 at them. And now w/ Mazi looking like a bust, we prolly won't take one in the top 4 rounds for the next decade. Maybe Zimmer can help.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
It's hard to draft DTs. Think of how many stud DTs have been drafted over the last 10 years compared to WRs or OLs or whatever other position. They're hard to find.

Combine that with the fact that Dallas never drafts them early, and you have your answer.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because they rarely put real draft capital in the position ....... and when they do they try to "outsmart" the league by taking a little known guy with "upside and flex"

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I agree w/you on a number of your points, but not on this...

Osa has had 7 sacks in his career and 51 hurries--that's good stuff for a tackle. He's ranked 23rd by PFF among all DTs (over 100).
I like Osa. I just need more sacks from our 3Tech. I need to see him show up in the 4th quarter more.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Correct.

So Jerry just gives up and throws a mid round pick or 2 at them. And now w/ Mazi looking like a bust, we prolly won't take one in the top 4 rounds for the next decade. Maybe Zimmer can help.
Yep. He picks and chooses when he wants to learn from past mistakes. He won’t stop drafting tight ends in the second though.

btgboys41

Reaction score
They aren’t willing to be aggressive to get a highly coveted one. Where they pick in the draft is no excuse. They’d be aggressive to get a WR or CB but that’s about it.