Why does Dallas not have a lot of cap space?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The drop in viewing hasn't affected the cap because of the contracts in place. What would affect the cap would be the contracts going forward with whoever the entities are that will carry the games. But does anyone think there is no ceiling for a sport that has possibly peaked in viewers?

The problem for the NFL is the escalating QB salaries with Brees and Cousins slated to hit that 30M mark. It was very long ago that the QB ceiling was in the low 20's. That is a huge jump and now we're seeing WR's and DE's want those kinds of % jumps as well.

I asked this question and don't think I received an answer. In a sport where viewers are dropping off, do these ridiculous salaries make the fans happier? Or do they create a disconnect between the fans and players?

We just got a new and substantially larger TNF contract.

Why on Earth do you expect drops in TV money when we've already seen increases?

Verdict

Reaction score
It's funny because there are active threads complaining about the Cowboys being too conservative and not spending on free agents now that Stephen Jones is leading the way.

At the same time there are active threads complaining that the Cowboys are out of cap space.

I think some of the same posters are complaining both ways.

Either they need to use the Patriots method and continue to be conservative, especially while they're transitioning away from their big spending days and bad contracts like Dez (Which I think SJones was against) OR they could go all-in like the Broncos did a few years ago and the Eagles have done the past couple of years.

They can't do both.

That's why i would be ok with us dumpster diving one more year unless a fantastic player is available that fits what we want to do at a reasonable cost. Continue to move away from bad contracts like Dez, Witten and Crawford.

cern

Reaction score
But the contracts are already in place. The money isn’t changing year to year. The NFL also just signed a new TV for TNF with FOX for $550 million a year, replacing CBS’s $300 million per year deal. I think viewership and TV revenue is just fine.
True, but ad revenue is based on viewers. If the numbers aren't up to snuff, the league has to reimburse the advertisers. In money or free ads which they've done the last two years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Crawford isn't Suh, but he's earned his money by filling the gap for every terrible DL FA we've signed over the last few years that couldn't cut it .

That is laughable. The guy is way overpaid. For his contract he is useless. Stop being a bling homer.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That is laughable. The guy is way overpaid. For his contract he is useless. Stop being a bling homer.
You're being too hard on Crawford. He was drafted to be a 3-4 end. I still think he would be very good at that.

Then he was forced to play inside. Not where he would ever be effective long term. He doesn't have the body for it.

And now that he's back to playing a more natural position, he played well. And I think he will be even better this year.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
So much misinformation in this thread it's hard to read.

On the other hand there is some serious knowledge.

What are y'all going to complain about 1 year from today?

At the least, you are going to give Jerry and Stephen credit right?

So much misinformation in your post it's hard to read

TwentyOne

Reaction score
jerry-stephen.jpg

Forbes #1 and MITs least wanted.

For every serious franchise a combination hard to swallow.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You're being too hard on Crawford. He was drafted to be a 3-4 end. I still think he would be very good at that.

Then he was forced to play inside. Not where he would ever be effective long term. He doesn't have the body for it.

And now that he's back to playing a more natural position, he played well. And I think he will be even better this year.

My beef with Crawford is his salary. He is a solid player, nothing more. Yet he got paid like he was a top DE at the time. HE has disappointed. At this point he is kept around because we have no one better. He is the shining example of why the Cowboys are failing to get over the hump. Overpaid and underperformed. And lets not forget the first few years of his contract he was constantly hurt.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
My beef with Crawford is his salary. He is a solid player, nothing more. Yet he got paid like he was a top DE at the time. HE has disappointed. At this point he is kept around because we have no one better. He is the shining example of why the Cowboys are failing to get over the hump. Overpaid and underperformed. And lets not forget the first few years of his contract he was constantly hurt.
This is what I don't understand. Why has he disappointed? Do you think he doesn't try hard or work hard? Is a bad locker room guy? Gets in trouble?

You can feel that the contract he was given was excessive. But that's on the GM. Or you can blame the coaches for playing him out of position.

But don't hate on the guy. I'd flat out keep him and his salary over Dez and his any time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is what I don't understand. Why has he disappointed? Do you think he doesn't try hard or work hard? Is a bad locker room guy? Gets in trouble?

You can feel that the contract he was given was excessive. But that's on the GM. Or you can blame the coaches for playing him out of position.

But don't hate on the guy. I'd flat out keep him and his salary over Dez and his any time.

Doesnt try hard? Wow, "Blind faith" indeed.

Yah, Ive explained it before. His cap number is way to high for his production. Therefore, he is hurting the team.

I have zero personal interest in any player as you do. Im not insulting you or them personally. If you could somehow gear yourself to look at the team in this perspective you would easily deduce that Crawford has been a waist of a contract. And its not even close.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I would cut both him and Dez and move on and jump for joy. Again, nothing personal about either guy. Simple cap and team management.

cern

Reaction score
I would cut both him and Dez and move on and jump for joy. Again, nothing personal about either guy. Simple cap and team management.
I have to agree. Just because fo makes a mistake doesn't mean they can't correct their mistake. Use that money for David Irving who's much better.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The salary cap is about $180 million this year. Romo counts for $8.5 million. If you’re doing the math, that is about 4% of this year’s cap. Big, but not debilitating.

Want to know where the money is going? It’s all right here:
www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/

More than 25% of the space is tied up in the offensive line, most of it among three guys: Smith, Frederick and Martin.

Dez’s hit is $16 million which, even if you’re a Dez fan, you have to admit is way too high. That’s almost 10% of the allocation. Witten’s number is high too.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The salary cap is about $180 million this year. Romo counts for $8.5 million. If you’re doing the math, that is about 4% of this year’s cap. Big, but not debilitating.

Want to know where the money is going? It’s all right here:
www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/

More than 25% of the space is tied up in the offensive line, most of it among three guys: Smith, Frederick and Martin.

Dez’s hit is $16 million which, even if you’re a Dez fan, you have to admit is way too high. That’s almost 10% of the allocation. Witten’s number is high too.

I don't pretend to be a salary cap guru, but if Romo were to do us a solid and "officially" retire, would that free up the 8.5?

LittleD

Reaction score
I don't pretend to be a salary cap guru, but if Romo were to do us a solid and "officially" retire, would that free up the 8.5?

Nope, Romo did retire. We are paying the price for deferring his salary costs each year into the future. At some point, all of his deferred money must hit the books. The FO just used the June 1st cut rule to lessen the salary cap hit for the 17.8 mil left on his account. When you use the salary cap credit card, every dollar due him must be accounted for on the cap.