Why does Dallas not have a lot of cap space?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
First of all, stop cherry picking a single year of a contract to compare. You do know how contracts work, right?

Crawfords average yearly salary over the course of his original 5 year deal was 9mill per. Care to guess what Campbells was? 15mill.

Lets look at some of the top salaries for DE on average per year.
Olivier Vernon 17mill per - 37 Comb Tkls, 6.5 sacks, 701 plays
JPP 15.5 mill per - 68 Comb Tkls, 8.5 sacks, 1011 plays
Calias Campbell 15 mill per, 67 Comb Tkls, 14.5 sacks, 807 plays
Everson Griffen 14.5 mill per, 45 Comb Tkls, 13 sacks, 795 plays
Stephon Tuitt 12 mill per, 25 Comb Tkls, 3 sacks, 571 plays
Akiem Hicks 12 mill per, 54 Comb Tkls, 8.5 sacks, 899 plays

Now some closer to Crawfords
Vinny Curry 9.45 mill per, 42 Comb Tkls, 3 sacks, 578 plays
Derek Wolfe 9.17 mill per, 31 Comb Tkls, 2 sacks, 459 plays
Jerry Hughes 9 mill per, 44 Comb Tkls, 4 sacks, 735 plays
Tyrone Crawford 9 mill per, 27 Comb Tkls, 4 sacks, 630 plays
Cameron Wake 8 mill per, 36 Comb Tkls, 10.5 sacks, 615 plays

So Crawford's numbers are not that far out of alignment with other players getting paid the same. Not to mention, this was his first full year playing DE. As I said before, I think he will be better this year.

Did he light it up? No. But some of the comments here are that he's JAG. Worthless. Doesn't come close to his contract.

Then you have folks like you who try to compare him the Defensive Player of the year, who averages 6 mill per year more.

Why not compare him to Vernon. Or JPP. Or Griffen. Or Hicks. You telling me you'd rather have any of those guys with their contracts over Crawford?
TCrawford's cap hits have been 2.8m, 4.3m, 10.3m and 9.1m the last 4 years and has played in 61 games...... his contract has not been a problem

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Why not compare him to Vernon. Or JPP. Or Griffen. Or Hicks

Don't have the time, but as I said, I'm sure I could find defensive linemen with better stats who made far less than $9 mil. The fact that other teams also overpaid for production doesn't make Crawford's money look any better....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
TCrawford's cap hits have been 2.8m, 4.3m, 10.3m and 9.1m the last 4 years and has played in 61 games...... his contract has not been a problem

Then we have a difference of opinion. I DO see it as a problem. Not the biggest one, but he's not the only player on the team, you know...

jblaze2004

Reaction score
What are some of the reasons Dallas doesn't have a lot of cap space?

It feels that Dallas has had salary cap issues for many years and would have finally solved the issue by now. Most other teams seem to be well off.

Because as much money as Jerry makes as a business man his loyalty to players is stupid. He overpays more than he actually gets a good deal. Look at dez, scandrick, Terrance Williams and the list goes on. We can never trade them because of the dumb contract we gave them. New year it happens with new players and new coaches. Jerry Jones use the rinse , wash n repeat formula.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Did he light it up? No. But some of the comments here are that he's JAG. Worthless. Doesn't come close to his contract.

Never said he was worthless, or that he wasn't close to his contract. I said for he's not worth his $9 mil. I'd have no problem with his salary if he was getting paid $5-6 mil a year, or if he got like 8 sacks and 40 tackles.

You don't have to take someone's opinion in an extreme sense, there are degrees of value....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

It feels that Dallas has had salary cap issues for many years and would have finally solved the issue by now. Most other teams seem to be well off.
bad cap management. two players hit 30 milllon on the cap. Lawrence and Dez. and we have 10 mill on room dead money...so in all, over 20% for two players...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Crawford was 84th in the league in sacks. 434th in tackles. You think $9 million is a good amount for that?

He's not worth his pay. Does he have value to the team? Sure he does. But is he worth $9 mil? Well, let's see:

Ever hear of Anthony Zettel? Quick now, who does he play for?

The Lions. He had 43 tackles and 6.5 sacks. He made $660,000 last year.

But I know, I'm "cherry picking". But you think all 83 players above Crawford made more than, or even close to, $9 million? I'm sure I could find at least a dozen defensive players with better stats who made less money, so I guess they are all grossly underpaid?

Nothing against Crawford personally, but the cap is about $$$, not whether he's a great guy or not...

So you're not going to answer my question about Campbell's cap hit in 2018 compared to Crawford?

Zettel is a 6th round pick that's still on his rookie contract, so yeah, he's cheap.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So you're not going to answer my question about Campbell's cap hit in 2018 compared to Crawford?

Zettel is a 6th round pick that's still on his rookie contract, so yeah, he's cheap.
Cambell's cap hit was 15m in 2016, 17m next year, 15m in 2020 and 17m in 2021

It was only 10m last year because he got 9m in signing bonus and option bonus in 2017

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Ever hear of Anthony Zettel? Quick now, who does he play for?

The Lions. He had 43 tackles and 6.5 sacks. He made $660,000 last year.

He's a second year guy. Sure his contract is going to be low. And I don't know much about him other than he's a tween writer type. Don't know how he is against the run.

Sure, you can find players every year that over perform their contracts. And under perform.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Never said he was worthless, or that he wasn't close to his contract. I said for he's not worth his $9 mil. I'd have no problem with his salary if he was getting paid $5-6 mil a year, or if he got like 8 sacks and 40 tackles.

You don't have to take someone's opinion in an extreme sense, there are degrees of value....

Pick your 5-6 mill a year DE and let's see how he does compared to Crawford this year. And the guy has to be on his second + contract.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Pick your 5-6 mill a year DE and let's see how he does compared to Crawford this year. And the guy has to be on his second + contract.
His contract was modeled after Cam Heyward from PITT and he matched up very well until Heyward went off for 12 sacks this year

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Continue? So you know they will win the SB next year or so? Better head to Vegas, the Eagles are currently 12:1 odds to win, you could get rich.

No guarantee the Eagles will ever win another....

There odds are sure as h--- better than ours. Look at there coach and then ours, I just dropped my mic, as biggie smalls sings "more money more problems".

wssaustin

Reaction score
Yet some still believe Jerry being a shrewd businessman.