Why does Mickey hate Barber so much?

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
Decleater101;2416607 said:
This info is, or WAS confidential, but it's been several, SEVERAL years ago so I think the statute of limitations has probably run out.

When Barber was a kid, he once egged Mick's house on halloween ond Mickey still hold's a grudge.

:bang2:

:laugh2:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
TheCount;2416361 said:
Barber has done a lot of good to this team and even better, he's kept his mouth shut and done whatever was asked of him. Telling him he shouldn't act like a 1st rounder is an absolute insult in every way imaginable.
Mickey's bias against Barber is obvious to anyone who has to faithfully listen to his reports to get good info on the team. It's hard to stomach, especially when he blatantly makes up stuff like he did after the Rams game, blaming Johnson's first INT on Barber not picking up a blitz. The Rams didn't even blitz on that play, and it was Procter's fault the pass was deflected.

About Barber's 35-yarder in the first quarter of that game, he said "Felix would've scored on that play." Well no, Mickey, Felix would've limped up to the LOS and been tackled, because he'd already been injured. On that play, Barber (whom Mickey constantly criticizes for shaking and baking too much) completely faked the safety out of his jock--the one guy he alone was responsible for making miss--and was tackled by the corner who got away from TO.

He's trying to take advantage of fans who don't know/care any better to build some kind of public dissatisfaction with Barber, just because Barber won't talk to him. He's abusing the hell out of his position, basically.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think Barber's flaws as a full-time feature back have been exposed and he clearly needs a backup to split carries with 60-40.

I also think Felix will end up being a better all-around back because he can run both inside and outside and will be more of a threat in the receiving game. barber is just too slow to the hole and can for an interior runner he is limited in that he can only run through big holes (and then be a terror to LBs and DBs) inside or bounce plays to the outside and beat LBs with speed and DBs with physicality. That is fine for a change-up back but not enough for a feature runner.

We should probably end up using them like Falcons used Duckett and Dunn a few years ago with Barber playing the role of Duckett.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Eskimo;2416776 said:
I think Barber's flaws as a full-time feature back have been exposed and he clearly needs a backup to split carries with 60-40.

I also think Felix will end up being a better all-around back because he can run both inside and outside and will be more of a threat in the receiving game. barber is just too slow to the hole and can for an interior runner he is limited in that he can only run through big holes (and then be a terror to LBs and DBs) inside or bounce plays to the outside and beat LBs with speed and DBs with physicality. That is fine for a change-up back but not enough for a feature runner.

We should probably end up using them like Falcons used Duckett and Dunn a few years ago with Barber playing the role of Duckett.

Mickey, is that you?

J-DOG

Reaction score
Mickey is a cranky old man.
You gotta take what he says and writes with a grain of salt.
He definitely has opinions about players and the team but you will rarely see him go out on a limb and make a bold prediction...that way he can complain and moan about whatever happens.

Eskimo

Reaction score
TheCount;2416834 said:
Mickey, is that you?

A big part of the reason defenses have been successful with 7-man fronts against our running game (aside from the putrid performance of the left side of the OL) is Barber is not a respected threat for the outside run which allows them to really attack the middle overly hard. We could get away with this back in the 1990s because the OL was better and Emmitt Smith had the greatest vision of any in-between the tackles runner in NFL history but we can' get away with it with Barber and this OL.

There is a reason Felix averages close to 9 ypc (and yes, he won't be able to get anywhere near this as a full-time runner). Defenses that key to play us bunch up too much inside as is there strategy against Barber which gives Felix a soft corner that he can exploit with his speed.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
superpunk;2415872 said:
Mickey strikes me as that guy who never gets the girl, but he does a pretty good job convincing you that he'd know what to do with her if he ever got his hands on some chloroform.

Basically I suspect Mickey of being a soccer fan.

Mickey watches "Dancing with the Stars", and cries at weddings.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Eskimo;2417051 said:
A big part of the reason defenses have been successful with 7-man fronts against our running game (aside from the putrid performance of the left side of the OL) is Barber is not a respected threat for the outside run.

Well you've got that half right, except it's not just the left side.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
Eskimo;2416776 said:

I personally disagree that Jones will be "a better all around back". I haven't seen enough of him running inside to determine that. When has he had an inside handoff.... Is it possible that, like Reggie Bush, he too is not an everydown back? And best suited to line up in the slot or be moved around to get matched up on a LB?

It's obvious that our offense, as a whole, is not what it was at the start of last season... Look at T.O.'s numbers.... TD's aside there is nothing there to suggest that he shouldn't be replaced by Austin or Williams.... The reason he won't be, is because he has proven to be worthy. Barber has proven, IMO, to be worthy too... Just look at his numbers after Kosier went down in GB, that's the only reason for this discussion.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
AmericasTeam31;2417445 said:
I personally disagree that Jones will be "a better all around back". I haven't seen enough of him running inside to determine that. When has he had an inside handoff.... Is it possible that, like Reggie Bush, he too is not an everydown back? And best suited to line up in the slot or be moved around to get matched up on a LB?

It's obvious that our offense, as a whole, is not what it was at the start of last season... Look at T.O.'s numbers.... TD's aside there is nothing there to suggest that he shouldn't be replaced by Austin or Williams.... The reason he won't be, is because he has proven to be worthy. Barber has proven, IMO, to be worthy too... Just look at his numbers after Kosier went down in GB, that's the only reason for this discussion.

He's had a few inside carries and looked okay, who knows who will be better. We have both of them, for at least 3 years, probably more, so it won't matter.

Barber has definitely proven what he can do, it always amazes me that anyone can dislike the guy after seeing him play, especially Cowboy fans.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
AmericasTeam31;2417445 said:
I personally disagree that Jones will be "a better all around back". I haven't seen enough of him running inside to determine that. When has he had an inside handoff....
How about his first-ever handoff against the Browns, when he scored a TD? :D

I'm with Eskimo... I don't think Barber's bruising style will be that effective as an everydown back. And it also wouldn't be a surprise at all if Felix eventually turned out to be better.

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2415884 said:
:laugh2:

I do think Barber has been trying to bounce things outside too much lately, though.

I DON'T KNOW BUT CHOCOLATE LAB HAS THE BEST SIG ON THE ZONE.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2418339 said:
How about his first-ever handoff against the Browns, when he scored a TD? :D

I'm with Eskimo... I don't think Barber's bruising style will be that effective as an everydown back. And it also wouldn't be a surprise at all if Felix eventually turned out to be better.

Better than what? Define better.

Eskimo

Reaction score
TheCount;2418320 said:
He's had a few inside carries and looked okay, who knows who will be better. We have both of them, for at least 3 years, probably more, so it won't matter.

Barber has definitely proven what he can do, it always amazes me that anyone can dislike the guy after seeing him play, especially Cowboy fans.

Assuming you are referring to me, when did I ever say I disliked Barber. I actually like him alot. I just think he is overrated here and is definitely being overused/misused by Garrett.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I thought Marion Barber played one of his best games against Tampa Bay this year. What did he have, 72 or 74 yards? He got a whole lot of those yards by himself. There was very little room to run in that game. Barber did just enough to help win that game. His effort was beyond fantastic, and he got very little credit for it.

Plus, the Barbarian's 70 yard TD against Arizona was sweet. If Felix Jones doesn't get hurt, the Cowboys win that game.

Who can blame Barber for not wanting to talk to the media. I love it. He talks to safeties and linebackers on the field. They say he is shy, and I'm sure that is part of it.

#24 is fixing to truck the Commanders.:rolleyes:

Apefist

Reaction score
superpunk;2415872 said:
Basically I suspect Mickey of being a soccer fan.

Hockey. Back when the Ticket did their Charity Challenge on Ice, Mickey used to alternate playing for the Hardline and the Musers each year. He scored a couple of times and even got into a fight with...I want to say Cactus, but I don't remember.

I don't think he has any bias against Barber though. His job is to report without adding any overt favoritism, journalism 101.