Why does Witten fall down as soon as he's touched?

rgcowboys

Reaction score
I believe he just tries to protect his knees. If you notice they don't try and tackle him high.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Pokes12;1701422 said:
The issue is not that he falls at first hit it is that he takes about twenty minutes to turn and run. He typically has his back to the goal line when he catches a hook route. Then he takes forever to turn his body around. He would do better just running backwards for a few.

That's another good point. He's slow to turn upfield, so when he's at a standstill and has his back turned he gets taken down very quickly.

Pokes12;1701422 said:
It is a minor point however since he is definitely one of the best TEs in the league. And the catch he made for the touchdown was outstanding. The pass was really over thrown and he made a finger tip grab.
It is really hard to criticize this guy, he does so many things well.

Perhaps if I had harped on this in my initial post, it would have avoided a lot of :rolleyes: type responses.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
hermitkid;1701391 said:
Teams have made it a point to take Cooley away in the passing game this season. They routinely role coverage his way and often double team him in coverage. As the season goes on I expect his production go up and wouldn't be surprised to see him finishing with over 400 YAC again this season.

2005 ranked 6th 487 yards
2006 ranked 17th 419 yards

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/stats/2005/receiving/0_byRECPT_YAC.html
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/stats/2006/receiving/0_byRECPT_YAC.html

CowboyWay;1701396 said:
He's not getting the ball AT ALL this year. I don't know what the deal is in DC, but he hasn't had many opportunities. I have him in fantasy so I watch him alot.

I think it's two things. First, people are covering him more because he is a bigger threat than Randel El and Moss has been sidelined. (Though covering Witten hasn't done much good this year) The other is Campbell isn't quite a prolific passer. The Commanders have survived by running the ball. While I haven't watched all the games this year, I see Campbell has something to go on, but I don't believe he will ever be a great QB. I think he will end up being the same level of QB he replaced. Brunell.

hermitkid

Reaction score
nyc;1701449 said:
The Commanders have survived by running the ball. While I haven't watched all the games this year, I see Campbell has something to go on, but I don't believe he will ever be a great QB. I think he will end up being the same level of QB he replaced. Brunell.

Saying that Washington has survived by running the ball is selling Campbell short since there's been countless situations where JCs heady play has kept drives alive and given the team a chance to score.

I think the biggest thing when you compare the Cowboys and the Commanders is that there is a huge difference in the approach both teams take to offense.

Gibbs prefers a ball control offense that minimizes the chance of turnovers, dominates the clock and features the running game while the Cowboys like to spread the field and attack down field at all times.

Both QBs appear to be a good fit for their respective offenses.

I don't expect Campbell to be a great QB but saying that he'll be on the same level as a QB at the tail end of his career is stretching it a bit. He's already better than Brunell has ever been while with the Commanders and I expect him to progress and turn into a QB that you can count on every week.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Reality;1700987 said:
Because if you look closely, someone usually had his feet wrapped up because I'm sure scouting reports show that tackling him low is the best technique to use against him.

-Reality

There is some truth to what he said. I have noticed it on several occasions...more often than not. If he is not catching on the fly, he usually just lays down. Watch closer.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1700986 said:
If they're grabbing his legs, from the waist down, how does he breakout of that tackle? If the defender uses good technique, then the offensive guy isnt going to break that.

Sometimes I think people think guys are supposed to superhero strength and should break every tackle.

i suggest you look at marion barber, and then try to type that same response

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
LatinMind;1701500 said:
Even Barber doesn't break all the tackles. He has gone down plenty of times with a single tackler.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
03EBZ06;1701505 said:
Even Barber doesn't break all the tackles. He has gone down plenty of times with a single tackler.
Barber's ability to break tackles has been built to epic proportions.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1701519 said:

Wrong. He's the second coming of Christian Okoye, Tecmo Super Bowl edition.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1701533 said:
Wrong. He's the second coming of Christian Okoye, Tecmo Super Bowl edition.

Lol, luckily Steve Atwater isn't in the league anymore so Barber will have a longer career.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1701505 said:

It's similar to the myth that Charles Haley was never stonewalled and sacked the quarterback at least 3 times in each game.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
hermitkid;1701493 said:
Saying that Washington has survived by running the ball is selling Campbell short since there's been countless situations where JCs heady play has kept drives alive and given the team a chance to score.

I think the biggest thing when you compare the Cowboys and the Commanders is that there is a huge difference in the approach both teams take to offense.

Gibbs prefers a ball control offense that minimizes the chance of turnovers, dominates the clock and features the running game while the Cowboys like to spread the field and attack down field at all times.

Both QBs appear to be a good fit for their respective offenses.

I don't expect Campbell to be a great QB but saying that he'll be on the same level as a QB at the tail end of his career is stretching it a bit. He's already better than Brunell has ever been while with the Commanders and I expect him to progress and turn into a QB that you can count on every week.

You MUST have a different approach if you don't have a QB and receivers that can give you a prolific passing attack. I didn't say Campbell was nothing more than an old QB at the end of his playing, I said he will be as good as Brunell was in his career. You should look up his career stats.

As I said though, he won't be any more prolific a QB than Brunell.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
nyc;1701545 said:
As I said though, he won't be any more prolific a QB than Brunell.

That's not exactly a bold statement - in his prime, Brunell was very good.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1701539 said:
Lol, luckily Steve Atwater isn't in the league anymore so Barber will have a longer career.

True.

Hopefully Randy Moss isn't TSB Jerry Rice on Sunday. I also hated playing the Giants, Eagles, or Commanders late in the season when you were 10-0, 11-0. It would be one of those "no WAY you're winning this one!!" games against the computer. QB Eagles would run all over you or Phil Simms would go crazy passing.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mavs Man said:

All the skins know is the old Brunell, not the very good one in Jacksonville. Also, look at who he's being compared to: a very good QB. Romo's being compared to HOFers. So skins fans may very well consider that a diss.

joseephuss

Reaction score
LatinMind;1701500 said:

In this Buffalo game Witten's legs were being wrapped up as soon as he caught the ball. He wasn't able to turn and build up any momentum. It would be difficult for most ball carries including Barber who is easily better at breaking tackles than Witten to break those tackles.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1701551 said:
He had some good yardage years, but he never churned out TDs. He has played 13 years and only produced at least 20 TDs (3) times. The most he ever passed for was 23 in 2005. He didn't exactly light up the score board. He passed for 4k yards once and 6 times he threw for 3k yards. (which includes the 4k yard year)

Brunell was a bus driver who had the some ability to make some plays. He was never and will never be considered a great QB. Thats exactly where I place Campbell. He is a bus driver that just happens to drive a nicer bus than Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer. ;) :D

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1701519 said:

Barber would shuck a double team of Godzilla and King Kong like a ripe ear of corn.

I don't think there's any doubt about it.