Why draft a back 4th overall if you’re not willing to pay him?

dckid

Reaction score
They are paying him and have extended him for his 5th year option. You don't pay RB's a second contract, no matter how good they are.
They go downhill fast. Keep drafting new ones every draft as RB's are dime a dozen players.
I agree with your mindset 100%. Which means you never draft him or even Barkley in the first round!

dckid

Reaction score
I wish some of you would realize the position zeke is in. They want to give him 400+ touches a season. He is entering his 4th season. Which is the last year on his rookie deal. He already lost his guaranteed money from this contract due to getting suspended. 1st round picks do not have a 5 year deal the 5th year is a TEAM option only. The player has no say so, and it is not guaranteed and cannot be negotiated by the player. So as of right now he is on a 1 year deal. If he plays great doesn't get injured, great the team will sign him to the 5th year option. But wait that's another 1 year deal. Let's say he plays great again doesn't get injured, time for zeke to get paid right? Wrong, now the team wants to franchise tag and have him play on another 1 year deal.

The NFL has the worst contract structure for players in any professional sport in the world, when it is also the most violent sport in the world. On top of that everyone knows RB's have the shortest career avg of any other position. If I'm zeke I'm holding out until I get paid. I'm not risking life and limb to play on 3 1 year deals. God forbid he gets a serious injury or something terrible happens like that kid in miami who lost his arm in a car accident he has no guarantees and no financial security at that point.

I agree Zeke is in a tough situation. He has made a good amount of money. Some team will trade for him , but now like usual Cowboys are up against the 8 ball. We didn't sign an adequate replacement.... ( Tevin Coleman type). If they wanted to trade him , the team should have been quite about during the draft and worked it out with some desperate team, or team that really has a need for RB that would put them over the top.
It's stupid to payout a Gurley type contract. It just doesn't end well with RB's. RB has become practically the easiest position to replace.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
because he is an unreliable knucklehead who has proven to be an immature bully--but a great running back

LittleD

Reaction score
I agree with your mindset 100%. Which means you never draft him or even Barkley in the first round!

There's nothing wrong with drafting a RB in the 1st round. You get him initially for 5 years with the 5th year option. You can then franchise him for two years which gives you 7 years total. By that age, RB's are on the short slide to oblivion.

LittleD

Reaction score
Cowboys fans: "It's easy to replace RB's!"

Cowboys sign Alfred Morris

Cowboys fans: "Not like that"

Gary Brown will develop an fine replacement for Zeke. There will be other RB's available before the Giants get a whippin from us.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not sure why you thought I was putting it on you?

I’m just saying if we abort him now then it was a bad use of the 4th overall pick.

If we sign him, it's still a bad use of a 4th overall. You don't spend that kind of pick on a RB. I mean, it comes down to that. JMO

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we sign him, it's still a bad use of a 4th overall. You don't spend that kind of pick on a RB. I mean, it comes down to that. JMO
If we’re hanging a banner will anyone care? That’s the bottomline. We’re either All In or not at this point. The Future is Now.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Why get drafted 4th, sign a contract, then , not honor the contract and sit out?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In some cases I might agree, but the Cowboys were committed to a heavy run element in their offense, and saw the benefit of that in 2014, so if they wanted to play that style, they had to have the players to make it work.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Yay another trivia question!

Over the last two years which grouping has had more yards per game, more yards per rush attempt, more points per game, and higher win %?

A) The team with Zeke
B) The team with Tyron Smith and without Zeke

Dre11

Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.

They don't look like morons for not paying him he has two years left on his deal ,they also have to pay the quarterback and wide receiver who has a year left, as much as I love Z he's been in the news too much for the wrong reasons ,as someone said if I'm going to pay you two years early stay out of the news or give me a discount

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Zeke also knew that he could sign the deal and use his leverage later when he had some. That's the choice he took.

The question was, why sign the contract if not willing to play through it. The answer is, because signing it was the only way into the NFL. It's pretty straightforward. If this were another situation, where he was free to negotiate in a free market with multiple teams and could settle on the best deal he could get, then yes, I would expect him to play through the contract. But he didn't choose his team and he didn't agree to the terms of the contract in any meaningful way, so no, I don't expect him to have any particular loyalty to it.

The part about Zeke knowing that he could sign and use leverage remains to be seen.

So, let me see if I understand here. You advocate signing a contract just so you can break it, as a strategy? Is that what you are suggesting? For the record, you don't have to play Football in the NFL. Over 7.5 Billion people don't. So there is a choice there. You can not play but if you want to play in the NFL, you have to sign a contract. That's how it works and thats what you sign up for, like it or not and just because you can't pick where you want to play doesn't make it OK to break your contract.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If we’re hanging a banner will anyone care? That’s the bottomline. We’re either All In or not at this point. The Future is Now.

And what if we don't hang a banner when he comes back, what then? What if in two years we are in position to challenge for a championship again and Zeke decides that he is not making enough again? What then?

Nope, that don't fly with me. It's not all or nothing this year. This team has a chance to compete for championships for years to come, or they can make stupid decisions again and screw themselves for decade. Nope, I don't agree.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In some cases I might agree, but the Cowboys were committed to a heavy run element in their offense, and saw the benefit of that in 2014, so if they wanted to play that style, they had to have the players to make it work.

If Zeke were the only player who could have done that, I might agree but he wasn't. The quality of Backs that are available every year can make the run first offense work. Zeke is not a one of a kind player IMO.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The part about Zeke knowing the he could sign and use leverage remains to be seen.
I have no idea what that means. Of course he can sign and use leverage later. How much leverage he has is the uncertain part, not the fact that he's free to use it.
So, let me see if I understand here. You advocate signing a contract just so you can break it, as a strategy? Is that what you are suggesting?
Absolutely, in these circumstances. In other circumstances, no. I thought I was pretty clear about that.
For the record, you don't have to play Football in the NFL. Over 7.5 Billion people don't. So there is a choice there.
Sorry, but that's just a silly argument.
You can not play but if you want to play in the NFL, you have to sign a contract. That's how it works and thats what you sign up for, like it or not and just because you can't pick where you want to play doesn't make it OK to break your contract.
Okay according to whom? You? I don't think Zeke really cares about your opinion on the matter. And as for "that's how it works," we're seeing exactly how it works. We see it every year. The fact that you dislike how it works doesn't make it work differently.

Dre11

Reaction score
If Zeke were the only player who could have done that, I might agree but he wasn't. The quality of Backs that are available every year can make the run first offense work. Zeke is not a one of a kind player IMO.

That's crazy Zeke was the best back available that could run the offense. From blocking ,running catching, and durability standpoint. Who were you going to get that year that could have done what Zeke had done, stop spewing crazy jump and back your statements up with players available

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have no idea what that means. Of course he can sign and use leverage later. How much leverage he has is the uncertain part, not the fact that he's free to use it.Absolutely, in these circumstances. In other circumstances, no. I thought I was pretty clear about that.Sorry, but that's just a silly argument.Okay according to whom? You? I don't think Zeke really cares about your opinion on the matter. And as for "that's how it works," we're seeing exactly how it works. The fact that you dislike how it works doesn't make it work differently.

If you have no leverage and you try to use it, do you really have any? Remains to be seen.

The NFL will not work if players do not honor contracts. Eventually, it will eat itself if that happens and the game will die. If this is the goal, then that plan will work. Otherwise, only a fool would decide to allow that sort of behavior. The owners are no fools.

Perhaps that is silly but the premise is worse then silly. You advocate players not honoring contracts. You advocate the very thing that will kill the NFL. I mean, you are nobody to tell anybody about silly. That position is the poster child of silly.

Yes, of course, according to me. Question, has there ever been a player in the NFL who has not had a Contract, ever? Take your time. OK, the answer is no. Every player in the NFL plays on a Contract so is the adolescent question of, "according to who, you?" really necessary. That's how it works. If you want to play in the NFL, then you sign a contract. If you want to play in the NFL, then you abide by the terms of the League. If you don't, then go find another vocation. You don't have to like it but you better accept it because that's the only way the League works. Get made, jump up and down, go kick your dog if you want but at the end of the day, you better get right with it because that's how it is, like it or not and that aint up to me. It definitely aint up to you either and believe it or not, it aint up to Zeke either.