Why draft a back 4th overall if you’re not willing to pay him?

kskboys

Reaction score
Not at all. Just calling it like it is. It's not a secret that the NFLPA is the weakest of the pro sports unions and that players have gotten the raw end of the deal in CBA negotiations because of it - leading to the NFL being the only major sports league without fully guaranteed contracts.
Ah, I appreciate you explaining yourself.

There is some merit to that. Problem is, the players are focusing on the wrong things in the negotiations. They tend to settle for less practice w/ pads on instead of money.

And the players themselves tend to opt for more money in the contract just so they can feel "not disrespected" and so they can get more pay than the last guy. What they should be going for is more reasonable contracts but way more guaranteed money. I've thought from the start that EZ should sign for 5 yrs/50 mil, all guaranteed. That would beat the hades out of signing for 16 mil/season, which actually comes out to more like 10-12 mil when you realize the last year or three will never be paid.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was for drafting EZ. Before I found out what a peabrain he is.
Our mgmt knew he was a handful.Big mistake not planning for this drafting a suitable replacement in this event which also would have provided more leverage for the Cowboys. After 2017 suspension we probably should have drafted someone for insurance.

If we end up letting him walk we can add this to the laundry list of poor draft decisions this era.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.

Edit:

Which is why many believe you should not use that high a pick on a RB. I mean, it's not like that belief hasn't been voiced, many times over. I haven't read this entire thread and I'm fairly sure this point has probably already been made but this is why so many people were against drafting Zeke there. It's almost a self fulfilling thing. He's a great player, nobody argues that but honestly, we shouldn't have taken him there and we shouldn't pay him the kind of money he wants right now. JMO

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.

It's not like the Cowboys aren't willing to pay Zeke but maybe they don't want to pay him as much as he wants. There's several things the Cowboys didn't anticipate when they drafted Zeke. They didn't anticipate the QB they drafted in the 4th round in the same draft class as Zeke would end up being their starting QB and would be commanding 30+ M per season. The Cowboys didn't anticipate that Zeke would be suspended for 6 games due to an alleged incident. They didn't anticipate he would be involved in another incident that the league looked into. They didn't anticipate that Zeke would want to be paid with 2 years still left on his contract. They didn't anticipate they would have to trade a #1 for a WR that's going to command top WR money. There's a lot of things you have to factor in when paying a RB who's had off the field issues and who's starting to put up some milage.

DLaw just broke the bank this offseason becoming the highest paid player in franchise history. Dak's contract is going to far exceed DLaw's. Just because you draft a player in the top 5 doesn't mean you're expecting them to be the highest paid player at their position once their rookie deal is up. Zeke still has 2 years on his deal and pulled a fast one by holding out of training camp. No one saw this coming, he was attending all the offseason programs. Even as camp was approaching no one was predicting a hold out. Zeke has clearly lived up to his draft position but Dak has far exceeded his which has created a dilemma for the Cowboys.

Throw in what DLaw was just paid and what Cooper will be demanding makes for a sticky situation. This talk about not wanting to pay Zeke is bull, it's how are they going to pay him Dak and Cooper. If the Cowboys pay Zeke now there has to be enough money for Dak. I would rather lose Zeke than lose Dak. You can't win without a QB. It makes no difference who you have at RB if you don't have a solid QB, just ask Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson and Adrian Peterson just to name a few.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

They are willing to pay Zeke. Zeke just isn't at camp. They gave up a 1st round pick for Amari and he is not extended but he is at camp. The real question is after an organization has went to bat for you publically several times why are you holding out? What else do they have to do to show that they want you around?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Edit:

Which is why many believe you should not use that high a pick on a RB. I mean, it's not like that belief hasn't been voiced, many times over. I haven't read this entire thread and I'm fairly sure this point has probably already been made but this is why so many people were against drafting Zeke there. It's almost a self fulfilling thing. He's a great player, nobody argues that but honestly, we shouldn't have taken him there and we shouldn't pay him the kind of money he wants right now. JMO
Coulda woulda shoulda.

If we let him walk now then it will go down as another poor use of a top draft pick this era.

Kaiser

Reaction score
They are willing to pay Zeke. Zeke just isn't at camp. They gave up a 1st round pick for Amari and he is not extended but he is at camp. The real question is after an organization has went to bat for you publically several times why are you holding out? What else do they have to do to show that they want you around?

Because elite RBs don't need training camp. If he comes in ten minutes before the first preseason game, his 2019 season will look exactly the same. Except Zeke will be a little more rested and the team will have a slightly smaller chance of him getting injured.

IMO this situation is more about having an excuse to skip the boring part of camp.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because elite RBs don't need training camp. If he comes in ten minutes before the first preseason game, his 2019 season will look exactly the same. Except Zeke will be a little more rested and the team will have a slightly smaller chance of him getting injured.

IMO this situation is more about having an excuse to skip the boring part of camp.
Whether this is true is partly dependent on how much effort Zeke puts into staying in shape while he holds out, and part is how quickly he can pick up on the new things Moore is plugging into the offense.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

Skip camp every season!!!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Coulda woulda shoulda.

If we let him walk now then it will go down as another poor use of a top draft pick this era.

It's already that. I don't wanna hear this BS. It makes no sense to follow up a bad decision with another bad decision by forking out money we don't need to be forking out. That's even worse. You can trade him, move him, or just plain wait him out. There is no need to act like we have to give in. No thanks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's already that. I don't wanna hear this BS. It makes no sense to follow up a bad decision with another bad decision by forking out money we don't need to be forking out. That's even worse. You can trade him, move him, or just plain wait him out. There is no need to act like we have to give in. No thanks.
That’s fine if you’re willing to potentially give away the 4th overall pick of the 2016 draft. Which just adds to this FO laundry list of poor draft decisions which contribute to not having a stronger contender.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Whether this is true is partly dependent on how much effort Zeke puts into staying in shape while he holds out, and part is how quickly he can pick up on the new things Moore is plugging into the offense.

I'm not standing next to him but Zeke keeps his conditioning up in the offseason and he only turned 24 a week ago. He has had the new playbook for some time and Gary Brown doubtless worked with him on the new changes. He probably won't take preseason reps for another 3 or 4 weeks anyway, I don't think this matters either way.

Baseball players are famous for inventing reasons to skip the early parts of spring training, this isn't that much different IMO.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score

Why sign a 4th overall pick contract if you're not willing to play through it.?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why sign a 4th overall pick contract if you're not willing to play through it.?
Because you have no choice. If you want to play in the NFL, you have to sign that contract. You can't negotiate with a different team, or even with the team that drafted you, for a better deal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That’s fine if you’re willing to potentially give away the 4th overall pick of the 2016 draft. Which just adds to this FO laundry list of poor draft decisions which contribute to not having a stronger contender.

That pick was "given away" long before today. That was done the day it was made and that was not by any of my doing. So yeah, it's fine because I was not for it and further, I pointed out that this kid was a loose cannon even then. Your not putting this on me because I was never in favor of it, for a lot of reasons. You want to blame somebody, find somebody who thought it was a good idea to spend the 4th pick in the draft on a RB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because you have no choice. If you want to play in the NFL, you have to sign that contract. You can't negotiate with a different team, or even with the team that drafted you, for a better deal.

So there is a choice there. Decide to play in the NFL or don't sign the deal.