Why draft a back 4th overall if you’re not willing to pay him?

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Because you have no choice. If you want to play in the NFL, you have to sign that contract. You can't negotiate with a different team, or even with the team that drafted you, for a better deal.
Zeke entered the NFL draft knowing this.

Tussinman

Reaction score
We are, and have been. He's still under contract. 38 mil is what he'll be getting. And if we franchise him twice, he'll make over 70 mil. So, he is already getting paid quite handsomely.
Zeke literally got over 16 million dollars CASH ADVANCED before he even had a real NFL practice......

LMAO at this garbage fake narrative of "oh he's not getting paid".

Zekes cash advance before having an NFL practice is literally higher than Le'Veon Bells first 6 professional years COMBINED
we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?
They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.
Not getting paid ? If he got a career ending injury this season he will of made 34 million dollars only playing 2 full NFL seasons.......

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That pick was "given away" long before today. That was done the day it was made and that was not by any of my doing. So yeah, it's fine because I was not for it and further, I pointed out that this kid was a loose cannon even then. Your not putting this on me because I was never in favor of it, for a lot of reasons. You want to blame somebody, find somebody who thought it was a good idea to spend the 4th pick in the draft on a RB.
Not sure why you thought I was putting it on you?

I’m just saying if we abort him now then it was a bad use of the 4th overall pick.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke literally got over 16 million dollars CASH ADVANCED before he even had a real NFL practice......

LMAO at this garbage fake narrative of "oh he's not getting paid".

Zekes cash advance before having an NFL practice is literally higher than Le'Veon Bells first 6 professional years COMBINED
Not getting paid ? If he got a career ending injury this season he will of made 34 million dollars only playing 2 full NFL seasons.......

Uh, his whole rookie contract is worth 24 million.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure why you thought I was putting it on you?

I’m just saying if we abort him now then it was a bad use of the 4th overall pick.

That is true but you can't hand him a blank check to save face either. If we have made him the todd gurley offer, he'd be a fool not to take it.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So there is a choice there. Decide to play in the NFL or don't sign the deal.
Zeke entered the NFL draft knowing this.
Zeke also knew that he could sign the deal and use his leverage later when he had some. That's the choice he took.

The question was, why sign the contract if not willing to play through it. The answer is, because signing it was the only way into the NFL. It's pretty straightforward. If this were another situation, where he was free to negotiate in a free market with multiple teams and could settle on the best deal he could get, then yes, I would expect him to play through the contract. But he didn't choose his team and he didn't agree to the terms of the contract in any meaningful way, so no, I don't expect him to have any particular loyalty to it.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.
Congrats, you think just like Jerry did the last 20 years.
Fortunately he finally wised up after the Romo deal.
You have not.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Exactly!
And I love it.

No team should pay none elite pass catchers big bucks. You put yourself at a disagvantage
@aikemirv
None of what you say has any relevance to my initial post.

Again, you should look up how much Michel gets paid!!!!!!!

Also Michel missed three games last year. I'll let you take a wild guess as to what their record was without him? I'll even give you two guesses.

CCBoy

Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

There is the fact that the man is already on contract and if pushed, the team could stick to it's own best interest for once. Is the player going to sit out twice? Or does Dallas prefer the tag for two seasons before having to sign at further inflated rates?

Rarely, if the player produces as does Elliott, does that player lose out on salary increases...under Jerry.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Uh, his whole rookie contract is worth 24 million.
Uh no not true. 5th year is already added to his contract.

5th year option is fully protected/guranteed for injury. He gets injured he gets the full cash amount.

He gets a career injury he would make almost 34 million dollars only playing 2 full NFL seasons.......

Last edited:

Tussinman

Reaction score
I think he is including the 5th year option, which would push it to close to the $34MM he mentioned.
Exactly this. 5th year is fully guranteed for injury right now and fully guranteed without injury on the 1st day of the calendar year. Zeke is not only getting a fair contract right now (even with the deal being 3 years old) he even has near 8 figures of future protection.

Little Jr

Reaction score

They were morons for taking him with the 4th pick.

dckid

Reaction score

Exactly. Smart teams only draft guys who they are willing to give a second contract to. We of course should have drafted Ramsey.
The smart thing to do is trade him to the Raiders for two first round picks.