Why extend Dak now

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Since all the high priced FA's are gone. Why would we extend Dak now. What exactly would we need alot of cap space for.?

When we extend CeeDee our cap will lower and once we Extend Parsons our cap should be around where it's at now.

We added 5 mil today for cap help. We should be good on draft picks money. Let Dak play out the season and if we somehow get to the NFC Championship or Super Bowl then Dak can break the bank especially if we win it all. I think no one here would care then.

I know it's another Dak thread but we need better play from Dak or just move on and start over
We have not won anything in 30 years so what's another 2 to 3 years of grooming a new QB. Then at least we'll have some hope

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
we are not extending him

that would have been done already...we are riding this team plus the draft and a FA or two into the season

cowboys fans should be somewhat excited if Trey Lance plays moderately well and is given any sort of reps with the 1s going into PS W3

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
i want to ask the board this as well. Trey is in practise everyday - how do we know what the sentiment is? Maybe between the younger players he has a tighter ball, more athleticism and the writing is on the wall?

the locker room has our star players families calling out the QB - where there is smoke there is fire. How do we not know during some 1 on 1s or plays in prac receivers like the balls trey is throwing because his development is improving?

we don't know squat - this could be true - just as true as the folks that want to sign dak to an extension think that is true as well

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
i want to ask the board this as well. Trey is in practise everyday - how do we know what the sentiment is? Maybe between the younger players he has a tighter ball, more athleticism and the writing is on the wall?

the locker room has our star players families calling out the QB - where there is smoke there is fire. How do we not know during some 1 on 1s or plays in prac receivers like the balls trey is throwing because his development is improving?

we don't know squat - this could be true - just as true as the folks that want to sign dak to an extension think that is true as well
Shanny, the best offensive mind in the league, watched the dude everyday in practice for over two years and decided a day 3 pick and a six pack of Dr. Pepper was worth more.

That is a huge red flag for me.

Now has he undergone some great transformation under Fat Mike and is looking like a young A-Rod in practice for us? I highly doubt it, but I guess it is possible.

And everybody that is saying wait till preseason when this guy gets works with the 1s.................what if he looks like the dude Shanny sent packing, what if he sucks???

I guess we lit up a 4th rounder for nothing and both Dak and Lance are walking after this season as free agents? I dont see it, but I could be wrong. We shall see.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Shanny, the best offensive mind in the league, watched the dude everyday in practice for over two years and decided a day 3 pick and a six pack of Dr. Pepper was worth more.

That is a huge red flag for me.

Now has he undergone some great transformation under Fat Mike and is looking like a young A-Rod in practice for us? I highly doubt it, but I guess it is possible.

And everybody that is saying wait till preseason when this guy gets works with the 1s.................what if he looks like the dude Shanny sent packing, what if he sucks???

I guess we lit up a 4th rounder for nothing and both Dak and Lance are walking after this season as free agents? I dont see it, but I could be wrong. We shall see.
that would have to be the case to be honest...would be worse case scenario:

- Dak plays bad under pressure, not worthy of re-signing
- Trey Lance played terrible in pre-season and garbage time, looks like Ben Denucci Fake Mahomes then yeah... we are screwed...
- At this point we will be so bad, or bad enough that we will be picking high in the draft in 2026...i think this is what everyone really wants is a first round QB...

Now we have a first round QB on the roster that was graded as a 2nd rounder by our front office, who is to say that they are so blind they will not give him a shot over a 4th rounder who has almost hit his ceiling in the NFL - that ceiling is tied with a terrible playoff record

EDIT: Trey is due his option which has been paid, so dumb and dumber at least think he's worth 5M...then next season he will be another FA

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Zero reason to wait. The cowboys are just gonna cave to Daks demands anyway, start negotiating now get it done and move on. Doesn't matter what we'd do, they will extend him. They will make him the highest paid QB. Dak is holding all the cards and the cowboys gave up any illusion of control of this situation.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don’t care if Trey Lance sucks, because there is no long-term attachment to him. You know you are in it for the rebuild. Getting rid of Dak on the other hand, is like getting rid of Garrett, meaning a culture of baby-sitting that needs to go.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

I would say the same about Rush, he has some attributes especially with throwing the ball that I feel dak doesn't have. But yes, I asked kind of the same question, maybe the guys in the locker could see Lance do some good things, and start to rally around him and HYPE him up more in practice, that could really cause some issues to dak's mentals

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I don’t care if Trey Lance sucks, because there is no long-term attachment to him. You know you are in it for the rebuild. Getting rid of Dak on the other hand, is like getting rid of Garrett, meaning a culture of baby-sitting that needs to go.
they held on to Garrett too long, they're doing the same with dak

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Zero reason to wait. The cowboys are just gonna cave to Daks demands anyway, start negotiating now get it done and move on. Doesn't matter what we'd do, they will extend him. They will make him the highest paid QB. Dak is holding all the cards and the cowboys gave up any illusion of control of this situation.
YES!!!!!!!!!!! It's like they're doing this just to give cowboys fans something to talk about, we know in the end he's going to get a big deal, they're stupid if they're just playing around. Stop wasting time if you're really going to sign him to the biggest deal ever, knowing he doesn't deserve it

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Rush processes quicker and has better mechanics, and release. If he has the arm strength to stretch the field a little bit, it’s a no brained to start him next year.
yes and just a LITTLE athleticism to get away from rushers, man oh man oh man!! But yes, everything you said is spot on!!!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We don't know squat was the only statement that mattered. Sign him or not, i don't care either way. Nothing I can do or say will make a difference. So, I'll just wait and see and be ok with whatever happens. What else can I do? Cry, mope, whine, threaten to leave?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is old news now as Dak seems to be on a lame duck final year of his contract come kick-off time.
Dak you can do it man earn that massive new deal taking your team to the SB!!!! :muttley:

Flamma

Reaction score
Since all the high priced FA's are gone. Why would we extend Dak now. What exactly would we need alot of cap space for.?
I've said this in several other threads. They don't need 30-40M in cap space anymore. Totally pointless.

Flamma

Reaction score
we are not extending him

that would have been done already...we are riding this team plus the draft and a FA or two into the season

cowboys fans should be somewhat excited if Trey Lance plays moderately well and is given any sort of reps with the 1s going into PS W3
That's what I thought as well, but the addition of the two void years added to his contract worries me. Lets keep watching what they do. The more money they keep pushing forward with restructures, the less likely an extension comes this year.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would say the same about Rush, he has some attributes especially with throwing the ball that I feel dak doesn't have. But yes, I asked kind of the same question, maybe the guys in the locker could see Lance do some good things, and start to rally around him and HYPE him up more in practice, that could really cause some issues to dak's mentals
Lotta haters call him "noodle arm"...but funny thing is those passes did end up in receiver hands. Er...OUR receivers! :laugh:

jgboys1

Reaction score
we are not extending him

If the Cowboys actually do this, I would be looking forward to this up and coming season, no matter how much they suck.

Anything is better than the Dak, Rinse and Repeat show.