Why has the offense gone so far down hill?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Clearly you are here more than me. Having a full time job limits my time here. Maybe when I retire I can spend more time here

Very true. Lets hope that day day comes sooner than later.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We were a top three offense last year. Now we’re what, 26th? Amari Cooper doesn’t make THAT MUCH difference, but when you add the loss of Tyron Smith, Dak being out the last four weeks, and Gallup missing the first couple of games, is that enough?

So when Dak and Peters and Washington all come back, how much difference will it make?
Cooper Rush.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
We do not have Cooper and he is a true #1. Compliments the other WR's and is undervalued. Also, our TE play has gone down some.

LysleE

Reaction score
Our defense is almost other-worldly; we don’t need to score 30-40 points to win; we play ball-control offense and focus on running the ball; using play-action to open up the passing game. I think against the Rams we held the ball significantly longer and ran many more plays than the Rams.
Ironically, this is the same gameplan we employed when Dak took over for Romo: played good defense and ran the ball behind a good o-line chewing up clock and keeping offenses off the field.
This is of course before the Jones boyz built Dak up to be some kind of savior at QB and paid him like an elite signal caller; he has been struggling under the weight and expectations of that contract and suspect he always will. He is a system QB. I’m hoping he took some notes watching Cooper play QB.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
When your offense plays mistake free football, limits penalties, and doesn't turn the ball over at all then you don't need to score 35 PPG to compete.

This way works.

How many games this season do you see us needing 35-40 to win with the defense we have?

Yep. Stats are overrated. With this defense, you don’t need the top offense. In a way, Rush’s limitations have us playing run-first, mistake-free football which is what you need with this defense. However, we will lose if we get into a shootout. That’s where Dak comes in. Dak gives us a better chance if we get into a shootout. But shoutouts will be rare with this defense. The real question is, does Dak give us a worse chance if we’re in a low scoring game? That’s what I’m not sure about. I think it’s pretty clear that we lost to the Bucs because of Dak. The defense played great. We just tried to do too much on offense and Dak was terrible. Hopefully that was just a fluke and he’ll come back better.

ESisback

Reaction score
You can think what you want. NFL players have spoken and they agree with CowboyRoy!!! Top 10. And since thats where most pundits put him on their QB list, we will just say that you are in the minority. Or in denial. Whichever you prefer.

Pollard is good, Zeke not so much. As long as the Oline is healthy we should able to afford some balance.

Claim what you want. No one is required to agree or wrong if they don’t.

ESisback

Reaction score
You answered it yourself, didn't you?
No Dak, no Cooper, no Tyron, limited Gallup/Schultz, no La'El or Collins (they weren't great, but when healthy they were better than the current starters).
If you think back to the offseason, everyone expected the offense to take a substantial step back, and that was with Dak and Tyron expected to play.
My point was merely that there are many factors, and the loss of Amari and Collins alone wasn’t enough to drag us so far down. But thanks for your answer!

dfense

Reaction score
You lose.
Dak
Tyron
Amari
Gallup
Cedric Wilson
Blake Jarwin

Nah, nothing changed much.

ESisback

Reaction score
If I was the OC, when Dak came back I’d play the same way, maybe add a couple of roll outs and a couple of designed runs, just to keep ‘em guessing.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Gallup is still coming back from injury, he won’t be his old self for awhile yet even if technically healthy, Lamb has been asked to play a different role than he has previously, and Rush doesn’t feed Schultz like Dak did. Cedric Wilson was really good at being invisible for bail out throws when the D was focusing in on the bigger name WRs.

They’re all little things, but the little things can add up

ESisback

Reaction score
You lose.
Dak
Tyron
Amari
Gallup
Cedric Wilson
Blake Jarwin

Nah, nothing changed much.

Which is why I think our offense is about to open up. Tyler Smith will only get better at LT, Gallup too, and Dak should make a difference. I don’t think the loss of Amari, La’el and Jarwin amounts to much.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
We were a top three offense last year. Now we’re what, 26th? Amari Cooper doesn’t make THAT MUCH difference, but when you add the loss of Tyron Smith, Dak being out the last four weeks, and Gallup missing the first couple of games, is that enough?

So when Dak and Peters and Washington all come back, how much difference will it make?
Defenses are starting to pick up on Rush's tendencies. Add that to the slimmed down play book Moore has been using and you end up with low production.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Because Cooper Rush can only do so much.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

The Cowboys had a heck of a run in the first half of LAST SEASON, but when they got into the second half of the 2021 DCs figurednout how to control Prescot and they ended up owning him!!!!!!!!!!!! This season started off the same way they finished last season, Prescot was back to his old self, looking and playing like some third string bum. R-U-S-H has come in and make the plays that he needs to make and nothing more. They've asked R-U-S-H to play within himself, don't try to win on every play and he's done a great job!

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Our franchise QB is out and you wonder why the offensive production is way down? lol

Rush has played admirably, but he's going to put up numbers anywhere close to what Dak historically has.