Why has the offense gone so far down hill?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Maybe the debate has gotten the fan base to a point they can evaluate how well the QB is playing regardless of other factors.

It's the opposite. Cowboys win, QB was great. Cowboys lose, QB sucked. Other factors, actually playing a role in wins and losses, are minimized if not ignored altogether.

Toss in a personal social media agenda for one QB or the other and the oversimplifications become magnified, positively or negatively. Hilarity often follows. :popcorn:

glimmerman

Reaction score
We were a top three offense last year. Now we’re what, 26th? Amari Cooper doesn’t make THAT MUCH difference, but when you add the loss of Tyron Smith, Dak being out the last four weeks, and Gallup missing the first couple of games, is that enough?

So when Dak and Peters and Washington all come back, how much difference will it make?
We are getting wins. That’s all I care about. Rush threw for 100 yards and we get a win. That’s Defense. And ST. For me the only stat that matter is wins.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We were a top three offense last year. Now we’re what, 26th? Amari Cooper doesn’t make THAT MUCH difference, but when you add the loss of Tyron Smith, Dak being out the last four weeks, and Gallup missing the first couple of games, is that enough?

So when Dak and Peters and Washington all come back, how much difference will it make?
Great question !!

Im not sure if anyone has the absolute answer. I think there are contributing factors . One is of course is our starting QB is out and we are intentionally trying to take the game out of Rush’s hands focusing on rushing the ball. Plus our defense is controlling the game only giving up minimal yardage and scoring . We simply don’t need much from our offense to win games .

I expect this to change some when we play more prolific scoring offenses. This week in Philly should be our best challenge thus far against a top 5 offense who should put up some points even against our defense .

We have some future challenges upcoming in Green Bay and Minnesota after the bye as well.

Im hopeful Daks return will spur our offensive production up closer to average . But we must find some comfort in knowing we don’t really need our QB and offense to carry this team like it has most of this era under Dak and Romo cause we finally have a stout defense which presents a different mindset.

But an afterthought we also have to take into consideration we suspected this offense would be off this year without as strong of OL , the question marks there along with not as strong of receiving corp which not only includes losing Cooper but Gallup first 4 games, Shultz hobbling as well and the fact defenses could shut Lamb down forcing someone else to break open like we have seen with Noah Brown.

ESisback

Reaction score
Its pretty telling when NFL players agree with my point and not yours. It would suggest you are way off. But again, you do you.

Does your guruness enrich your life? More fame and fortune? More friends, better health? How many NFL players call you for your opinion?

I could agree about #10 for Dak, but many here would say 10-15, and that’s not just the haters. My main point is that the loss of Amari Cooper wasn’t as damaging as many have said, and with Dak and Gallup and Peters coming back, IF we play the same type of scheme and remain fairly healthy, the offense may become more of an asset than a liability. Of course, we’re ALL just speculators here!

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

Main thing is no need , to take unnecessary risks, D is playing well to keep the teams under 20 points and getting TOs. So Mac is playing smart and curtailing KM also , to win games .

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Does your guruness enrich your life? More fame and fortune? More friends, better health? How many NFL players call you for your opinion?

I could agree about #10 for Dak, but many here would say 10-15, and that’s not just the haters. My main point is that the loss of Amari Cooper wasn’t as damaging as many have said, and with Dak and Gallup and Peters coming back, IF we play the same type of scheme and remain fairly healthy, the offense may become more of an asset than a liability. Of course, we’re ALL just speculators here!

Helps me out in fantasy football and the accuracy of my analysis with the Cowboys. Thats about it.

What scheme are you talking about? Cowboys offense was an asset last year.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

This is what you get when you only look at the stats.

Our stats were inflated by trash numbers that dont show actual strength.

Our offense wasnt good the last years. It stalled against good defenses. Now this year it is able to score even against good defenses. Just look how we imposed our will against the Rams in the final quarter.

Bates

Reaction score
This is what you get when you only look at the stats.

Our stats were inflated by trash numbers that dont show actual strength.

Our offense wasnt good the last years. It stalled against good defenses. Now this year it is able to score even against good defenses. Just look how we imposed our will against the Rams in the final quarter.

we had 95 yards and 6 points the entire second half. We didn’t impose our will. We simply protected the ball and let the defense do its thing. Our last 4 possessions, excluding the kneel downs, we had 45 yards and 2 first downs. No need to exaggerate.

khiladi

Reaction score
The defense last year had 12 TOs in the first five games, while Rush is winning games without TOs. Dak was 0-3 last year when the defense didn’t generate a single TO, while Rush has won two this year and against the Vikings last year.

Cut the nonsense BS narrative that the defense wasn’t ‘helping’ out Dak with great field position to score.

aikemirv

Reaction score

A big part is Amari. But lets face it for the first 3 games you lost 3 of the 4 WR that you had on last years team. Even at that though, there were 9 games last year that Dak did not pass for over 250 yards per game. Then if you want to throw in turnovers and pts off turnovers - last year was incredible from that perspective

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Out of necessity. It's being conservative. We can't get into a shootout. So keep game close. Play defense. Make the game shorter by commiting to run game eating clock

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Four game win streak baby. The only game where the offense stunk was game one with Princess at QB. I for one do not miss the day of falling behind by 14 points in the first quarter only to watch Dak throw for 500 yards in a losing effort.

plasticman

Reaction score
It hasn't.

Right now the offense is "dormant" to a degree.

This is due to a combination of injuries occuring at the beginning of the season, the most prominent being Dak.

Once Dak is back......they will attack

ESisback

Reaction score
Helps me out in fantasy football and the accuracy of my analysis with the Cowboys. Thats about it.

What scheme are you talking about? Cowboys offense was an asset last year.
I’m talking about leaning on the running game. More balance. Dak is good—he CAN throw for 350 yards, but he’s not Mahomes good. He can’t carry the team against Tampa and SF consistently. In the past, KM has been too pass happy, too many trick plays. It worked against weak teams, but not against playoff teams.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The entire team pretty much stunk in game one, which I think is the result of no real preseason or no real action. The defense performed much better. It just seems like I and we've been talking about this same thing for 27 years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m talking about leaning on the running game. More balance. Dak is good—he CAN throw for 350 yards, but he’s not Mahomes good. He can’t carry the team against Tampa and SF consistently. In the past, KM has been too pass happy, too many trick plays. It worked against weak teams, but not against playoff teams.

You run the ball if the run game is working and you have a all world defense holding them to 10 points per game. If your run game sucks and your down double digits, running is no longer a luxury.

In the past the run game has sucked for long stretches. Against playoff teams you better be able to do it all. Eventually you will need to run, pass, and play defense.

Who cares if Dak isnt Mahomes good? Weak point.

ESisback

Reaction score
You run the ball if the run game is working and you have a all world defense holding them to 10 points per game. If your run game sucks and your down double digits, running is no longer a luxury.

In the past the run game has sucked for long stretches. Against playoff teams you better be able to do it all. Eventually you will need to run, pass, and play defense.

Who cares if Dak isnt Mahomes good? Weak point.

Not to me. I know what I meant, and I’m going to waste my whole day justifying my opinion. Thanks though.