Why Hasn't Dalton Shultz Signed A Long Term Contract Yet

conner01

Reaction score
I think we'll focus on wr, oline, Dline, Te and Rb in the draft.

I think we'll draft a te late as always too. Maybe in the 5th round

I think Schultz is a pretty good te. He played way better than I thought he would last year.

I'm guessing the te core will put up close to the same kinda numbers next year. The only dip in production I think we'll see is in the # of tds they will score. I think it will drop from 12 tds to 7-8 tds.

I do think Schultz's role will change some and he'll draw more man to man coverage and they'll blanket McKeon more if he's starting te #2.

I don't think he'll regress in targets. They may even go up. But I do think his catch rate and TD % rate will drop some.

I see Schultz as a 5-6 td a year avg possession receiving te. Maybe he has a higher Ceiling I just don't see it with my eyes.

I do think the te core benefitted from having 2 avg tes in the lineup for once in 10+ years. And having 3 steaks at wr didn't hurt.

I also think Philly will get their LB Deficiencies worked out where he got 4 of his 8 tds.

I still think he'll get about 6 tds because that's what he's averaged over the past 2 years.

Plus he's Daks QB Efficiency rating just like #82 was for Romo so ya know he's gonna get targeted heavy. Ha ha ha ha ha

I don't care if he catches 130 balls for 7 yard averages as long as he scores tds and wins some games for us against some good teams this year

That's just not usually the case for DC possession receiving tes that doesn't have those go up and get a ball skillsets or big play capabilities.

And why I'm very hopeful I'm still a little concerned about that 9 game stretch he had with only one TD.

I'ma keep dangling that carrot (franchise tag) until he proves himself. Esp since he's playing around 90% of the snaps.
Agree
I think RB is a spot we got to consider at some point. I see us moving on from Zeke and pollard is coming up for a contract. Certainly a position we need to think about if the opportunity arises. You don’t want to go into the draft next year having to look RB if you can help it

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I dont expect to have an elite TE, but I WANT one that isn't an atrocious blocker because I know that this QB is taking us nowhere unless the run game dramatically improves.

I've said that I understand why they tagged him and I'm OK with it for now.....I just hope the plan is to draft a 2023 starter next week.

All else aside, Schultz should not be paid long term like the players you mentioned, and thats where its headed as of now.
therein lies the problem. you want a blocking TE to fix the running game. that's a secondary issue. you want the running game fixed, get a cener and LG. running game doesn't start with a blocking TEs who are easy to find lower part of draft. we can even take McGovern and make him a full time TE for run blocking. if we don't fix the OL, the best blocking TE isn't going to fix the running game.

now, with that said, everyone wants a blocking/pass catching TE. they are elite. they get paid elite money.....the rest are either good at catching or good at blocking. pass catchers are usually more coveted.

and we probably will draft a TE. as for him being a starter or not depends on how he adjusts to NFL. OJ Howard was a top 15 pick. he sucked. Kittle fell to 6th round and he is elite....we can't assume if we draft a TE that our TE problems are solved. the result is in the pudding.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
1 decent te in in a dominant 2 te scheme is a recipe for 8-9

We saw that w Witten for more than half of his career. Js.

We haven't drafted a day 1 starting te in 20+ years.
we havent' drafted a TE in 20+ years, as for starting or not, depends on the player. OJ Howard was a top 15 pick and he sucked. Kittle went in the 6th and he is elite. am I advocating to pick one late? no. its just that in each year you have to evalaute the TEs and what rounds you think they are worth picking. you don't reach for one in the 3rd, just to have taken one in the 3rd and hope they are good starting material.

fivetwos

Reaction score
therein lies the problem. you want a blocking TE to fix the running game. that's a secondary issue. you want the running game fixed, get a cener and LG. running game doesn't start with a blocking TEs who are easy to find lower part of draft. we can even take McGovern and make him a full time TE for run blocking. if we don't fix the OL, the best blocking TE isn't going to fix the running game.

now, with that said, everyone wants a blocking/pass catching TE. they are elite. they get paid elite money.....the rest are either good at catching or good at blocking. pass catchers are usually more coveted.

and we probably will draft a TE. as for him being a starter or not depends on how he adjusts to NFL. OJ Howard was a top 15 pick. he sucked. Kittle fell to 6th round and he is elite....we can't assume if we draft a TE that our TE problems are solved. the result is in the pudding.
I AGREE that a Jeremy Sprinkle alone won't fix the run game. Having one that blocks well but has zero downfield skills just reverses the problem.

But we are paying 11 million for a player that is especially bad at the thing that needs to be fixed most.

Never said a better blocking TE alone fixes the run game, but we don't need to head in the opposite direction for a premium price either.

Yet again, I've said I understand why they tagged him and am much more fine with that than a long term deal.

I hope his eventual replacement becomes a Cowboy in about a week. Maybe exactly one week.

We all hope that's the next Kittle/Kelce but I don't expect it. I'll gladly take someone who has a well rounded game and is solid if not spectacular.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I AGREE that a Jeremy Sprinkle alone won't fix the run game. Having one that blocks well but has zero downfield skills just reverses the problem.

But we are paying 11 million for a player that is especially bad at the thing that needs to be fixed most.

Never said a better blocking TE alone fixes the run game, but we don't need to head in the opposite direction for a premium price either.

Yet again, I've said I understand why they tagged him and am much more fine with that than a long term deal.

I hope his eventual replacement becomes a Cowboy in about a week. Maybe exactly one week.

We all hope that's the next Kittle/Kelce but I don't expect it. I'll gladly take someone who has a well rounded game and is solid if not spectacular.
Being more active in FA doesn't reward ya w comp picks but it can sure make a difference how much your paying for positions. Esp if there is a big Spike in price increases. Lol.

Since our bargain bin te Talent Acquisitioner overpaid at the #1 te position he'll prolly want to roll w an undrafted 1 million dollar te or a 5th rounder (our hated division rival discarded) for 1 million to be the #2 starting Te.

Both tes are Starting Skilled Positions.

We're at least 2-9 years behind on drafting tes depending on how ya look at it.

Ya'd think we'd grab a couple of 3-5 million dollar tes at least to improve our te core until one of these dollar store tes turn into a prince. That's cheap.

But we make it out to be more like quantum physics than simple arithmetic.

It was a no brainer to snatch up a couple of those 3-5 million dollar tes. There was like 8-10 to choose from

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I don't disagree. I am not so much focused on the money as fans have their opinions of what any position or player is worth, vs. where the actual market is. the fact is that any other TEs we would have signed in FA would have severly hampered the passing game since we lost Cooper and Wilson and that can not be taken out of the equation of what we did with Schultz. and we need to have signed some FA guards and center all of whom were better than what we have and then also draft some to strengthen the group. few years back we had a great OL and had running game and offensive success, that with Witten who also was never a great blocker and at that point he was older and less effective in passing game. fix the OL and all else follows.

until camp/preseason we won't know whomever we draft is the replacement or not. they thought Jarwin was a replacement for Witten and he was a one trick pony, against one team (down the seam against the Giants). he was useless otherwise.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't disagree. I am not so much focused on the money as fans have their opinions of what any position or player is worth, vs. where the actual market is. the fact is that any other TEs we would have signed in FA would have severly hampered the passing game since we lost Cooper and Wilson and that can not be taken out of the equation of what we did with Schultz. and we need to have signed some FA guards and center all of whom were better than what we have and then also draft some to strengthen the group. few years back we had a great OL and had running game and offensive success, that with Witten who also was never a great blocker and at that point he was older and less effective in passing game. fix the OL and all else follows.

until camp/preseason we won't know whomever we draft is the replacement or not. they thought Jarwin was a replacement for Witten and he was a one trick pony, against one team (down the seam against the Giants). he was useless otherwise.
I wouldn't worry about the money if they weren't cheap otherwise.

Another fun fact though......Austin Hooper signed for 1/6m and he is a flat out better player, BUT....we don't operate that way.

We choose to validate the draft pick and coddle the QB.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

the biggest issue is we use 2 starting tes.

I never thought Jarwin was the answer either but I still think there is a big dropoff from him to the #2 tes we have left.

If he coulda stayed healthy.

Ya know defenses are gonna cover Schultz man to man now and force us to beat them w McKeon. How's that gonna work out?

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well not every other teams te core has averaged 5 TDs a year for the past 8+ years using a dominate 12 Personell Scheme that uses 2 starting tes either. Or an every passing snap possession receiving te.

Not every team has a Swaim playing every passing snap w 1 td all year either.

There's a Legitimate problem that needs to be addressed.

Before cook even left the raiders I was all over picking him up. Y'all said Noooooooo We have a serviceable te. Lmao

He had like 10 tds that year.
Hes 35 years old and is still a more clutch red zone target than any te we've had in 10+ years
I've quit paying attention to what you claim as fact. You've been proven way too many times to just make up what suits you and present as fact.

You just proved it again with this post. Cook not only has never had 10 TD's in any season, in his 2 seasons with the Raiders that you seem enamored with he had 2 TD's one year, and 6 the next, so he didn't even total 10 TD's over 2 years.

And this idiotic insistence on talking about Geoff Swaim as if he has anything at all to do with Dalton Schultz is ridiculously nonsensical.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I've quit paying attention to what you claim as fact. You've been proven way too many times to just make up what suits you and present as fact.

You just proved it again with this post. Cook not only has never had 10 TD's in any season, in his 2 seasons with the Raiders that you seem enamored with he had 2 TD's one year, and 6 the next, so he didn't even total 10 TD's over 2 years.

And this idiotic insistence on talking about Geoff Swaim as if he has anything at all to do with Dalton Schultz is ridiculously nonsensical.
he had 9 tds in 2019 when he got traded to the saints.

That's the year the saints got what's considered to be the worst no call in NFL history against the Rams.

He had good chemistry w Brees. Just not so much hill. And his year in LAC was just aight. SD was pretty wishy washy

He's prolly on a decline. But for a pure receiving talent he still made some big plays for both teams

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

C'mon rogers. If #82 came out of retirement to be the #2 te you'd find some way of justifying it. Lmao

You seem to think we can win with 2 dollar store tes playing 150% of the snaps.

Well I'm still waiting

Schultz was pretty good last year and Jarwin was aight and we still lost handily in the playoffs.

It's always everybody else's fault except our 5td a year te core

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he had 9 tds in 2019 when he got traded to the saints.

That's the year the saints got what's considered to be the worst no call in NFL history against the Rams.

He had good chemistry w Brees. Just not so much hill. And his year in LAC was just aight. SD was pretty wishy washy

He's prolly on a decline. But for a pure receiving talent he still made some big plays for both teams
You said he had 10 with the Raiders, and now your justifying that comment by saying he had 9 with the Saints, as if that's the same thing.

And, again, that 9 TD season was the only season out of his 13 years that he had as many as Schultz had last year, yet try and pretend as if he consistly scores more than that.

The reality is Cook has averaged 3.5 TDs per season over his career (45 TD's over 13 years). And that's an actual fact, not one of your made up specials

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
You said he had 10 with the Raiders, and now your justifying that comment by saying he had 9 with the Saints, as if that's the same thing.

And, again, that 9 TD season was the only season out of his 13 years that he had as many as Schultz had last year, yet try and pretend as if he consistly scores more than that.

The reality is Cook has averaged 3.5 TDs per season over his career (45 TD's over 13 years). And that's an actual fact, not one of your made up specials

Everybody knows cook has been better his last 6-7 years.

Schultz had a 4 td year and an 8 TD year. So he's proven no consistency.

Cook still has won some big games against us and his teams (even at 35)

He knocked us out of the playoffs against gb. And he scored the winning TD against us last year but it got negated by a holding penalty.

He may not be the best te but he has stepped up in clutch situations and won games every single year. And can go up and get a ball.

More gamechanging plays than Schultz or Witten ever has or ever will regardless of the stats

At 5 million a year he brings some badly needed skillsets that we haven't had in 15+ years. Deep ball and 50/50 red zone skillsets.

I'm not anointing cook as the best te. Just better at beating man to man coverage than schultz

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

You can knock Cook all ya want.

But I bet Cook has prolly averaged as many tds in the past 6-7 years THAN OUR ENTIRE TE CORE.

That's more like it ha ha ha

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

Swaim was the serviceable te lol after Old man Witten you said. Lmao.

Then Witten unretired and he was back to that serviceable te you said. Lmao.

Then Jarwin was that Serviceable te you said Lol.

And finally after 8-9 years you were Right. Because Last year the combination of Schultz and Jarwins 8 games we're both serviceable. Especially the first 7 games with both of them

But we still got our grass torched in the first round of the playoffs dinking and dunking even with those serviceable tes ya see so it still wasn't a winning formula. Lol

After Swaim laid his rotten egg is when I went on a rant to get Cook from the Raiders.

Then he breaks out like I projected w 9 tds and helps lead the saints to the (almost Superbowl) which some argued was the worst no call in NFL History.

It coulda been us but y'all cried and cried for the possession receiving dried up old slow Shell of #82 instead.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I remember we had like 3 tes tds in the first 2 games and you were riding the old #82 glory days. Lol

Then he crashed into an Iceberg. And went completely dead.

And the te core ended up w 5 or 6 tds for the entire year after getting 3 in the first 2 games Rogers Lol.

Isn't that about the time ya changed your profile to omer
Js lmao

Don't take it personally buddy. I've argued about players that fell off of a cliff also. I love the banter lmao

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Y'all don't mind my rant with omerv we've been going at it for 8-9 years about this dual te scheme.

And don't think I don't hold high regard for #82 or his accomplishments or Skillsets either. It's just too bad we never had a good #2 te to pair with him. We prolly could have been a contender if it wasn't for never having 2 good tes. Never!!!

I liked Witten too but players fade out. He just played way too long. In 2013 after 3 straight 8-8 seasons and playoff elimination on 5 yard passes on 4TH and 10 I was D.O.N.E. w Garrett and #82.

Mostly because of the scheme and lack of opportunities for better players.

I like the 12 personell but it takes 2 pretty good blocking and receiving tes to make it work at the playoff level.

We put all of our emphasis on the #1 te and throw some 1 million dollar store scrub te out there to pair with him everytime.

So the defense moves all their coverage to all of the steaks at wr and rb and dares us to beat them w our possession receiving tes. One who is usually just a designated blocker. Lol.

It doesn't matter who the coach or oc is it's still the same scheme .

And every year we could be playing w 2 good tes for an extra 3-5 million dollars but we're determined to win it w some undrafted or Clearance rack #2 starting te for 1 Million. Lmao.

Why can't we have 2 good tes???

Why? Why? Why?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
for all you guys who quote the scouting reports, Shultz is supposed to be a great blocker and a bad receiver.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
for all you guys who quote the scouting reports, Shultz is supposed to be a great blocker and a bad receiver.

If he blocks hard he gets too tired by the 4th quarter
Agree
I think RB is a spot we got to consider at some point. I see us moving on from Zeke and pollard is coming up for a contract. Certainly a position we need to think about if the opportunity arises. You don’t want to go into the draft next year having to look RB if you can help it
I'd rather get one now that way he's acclimated and we have contract leverage.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
the biggest issue is we use 2 starting tes.

I never thought Jarwin was the answer either but I still think there is a big dropoff from him to the #2 tes we have left.

If he coulda stayed healthy.

Ya know defenses are gonna cover Schultz man to man now and force us to beat them w McKeon. How's that gonna work out?
its not. tell Mr. Jones.