Why Hasn't Dalton Shultz Signed A Long Term Contract Yet

kskboys

Reaction score
I think many are putting more importance on the TE position than is warranted. Both super bowl teams had Schultz-like TE's. D and Oline are much more important.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Whatever #2 te we can recruit from home Depot for 1 million is our Motto. Lmao

Pigs will fly before we win a Superbowl with Schultz and McKeon leading the charge.

The Rams don't even use 12 personell lol.

You can win with a guy like Higbee as long as you don't throw him 80+ balls per year

They also had the top 2-3 wrs in football and the best online and Defense in the League

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
If he blocks hard he gets too tired by the 4th quarter
I'd rather get one now that way he's acclimated and we have contract leverage.
Agree
And since it’s not gonna be a high pick you have time to develop him and another shot next year at one
To me the key to not having to pay second contracts to good but not elite players is having his replacement on the roster when he goes into his contract year. That opens trade options but at the very least a comp pick. Fixing problems before the become problems is much cheaper than after

conner01

Reaction score
I think many are putting more importance on the TE position than is warranted. Both super bowl teams had Schultz-like TE's. D and Oline are much more important.
I think everyone would agree but you have to look at your options. We need a TE in this offense but it’s not a first round type priority. We have to fix oline early in this draft but if we can get a TE in the 4th who can be what Schultz is next year then we can let him walk. He was a 4th and Jarwin was UDFA. Jarwin I still think is a decent TE but he just can’t stay healthy

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
When ya have the top oline, top Dline, top wr core, and best dbacks in the League ya can get away with having a mediocre skilled player

Donald, Cupp, obj, Ramsey

It's hard enough to overcome 1 mediocre te much less 2

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I haven't read this yet, but have they even offered him one? that would be the reason.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Schultz is gonna be here this year in game 1 regardless.

Im more concerned about who is gonna be the #2 te this year

And who is gonna be the #1 and #2 te if Schultz gets hurt.

I think Schultz had an edge on Jarwin as a receiver. But Jarwin had an edge on Schultz as a Blocker. (With the exception of I thought Jarwin ran a better seam route)

But in this 12 personnel where 2 tes are dominating nearly 150% of the snaps I think its vital to have some sort of passing Dynamic with both tes.

I just don't think our #2 tes now have the same blocking/passing dynamic that both had as a duo and it's gonna cost our te core about 5-6 tds

Weve seen the pure blocking #2 te dynamic ran here for 8-9+ years (before last year) and we never avg'd more than 6-7 tds as a te core so we already know it's a losing scheme come playoff time.

It's not a question of whether Schultz is a serviceable #1 te.
But I do question whether he can be a serviceable #1 te if he's playing with a dollar tree #2 te. Js

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Our te Core put up 11-12 tds last year and maybe 2 more had jarwin not gotten hurt. And we ran the ball way better w jarwin out there for the first 7 games also.

I actually think our te core put up respectable stats for the first time in 10 years.

But I still don't think our 12 scheme can beat a contender that has a top tier wr core using an exclusive 11 personnel scheme

Not with a possession receiving te core who struggles against man to man coverage Js

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I might agree w ya if we had Joe Burrow and Jmar Chase. But we have a #10 QB in Dak Prescott so we gotta work from the top and go down.

Or the Goat, Mahomes, Allen

Ya got a top 3-4 qb and it makes a difference.

Old mediocre Matt only won because he had all pro team around him on offense and defense.

But theyre not content w just paying their guys

They're into talent acquisition. Just like Whoever Brady plays for

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
The top 3-4 qbs can turn an avg wr or te into a stud if they have the right skillsets. Moreso a player w those go up and get a ball skillsets but even some possession receivers too. Aka Brady to julian edelman

We just haven't had that Luxury because not many of our wrs and tes were 50/50 ballers

Maybe gallop.

Ill take a 50/50 ball wr or te over a route runner any day of the week.

kskboys

Reaction score
I might agree w ya if we had Joe Burrow and Jmar Chase. But we have a #10 QB in Dak Prescott so we gotta work from the top and go down.

Or the Goat, Mahomes, Allen

Ya got a top 3-4 qb and it makes a difference.

Old mediocre Matt only won because he had all pro team around him on offense and defense.

But theyre not content w just paying their guys

They're into talent acquisition. Just like Whoever Brady plays for
You kidding? Makes OLine and D even more important.

kskboys

Reaction score
The top 3-4 qbs can turn an avg wr or te into a stud if they have the right skillsets. Moreso a player w those go up and get a ball skillsets but even some possession receivers too. Aka Brady to julian edelman

We just haven't had that Luxury because not many of our wrs and tes were 50/50 ballers

Maybe gallop.

Ill take a 50/50 ball wr or te over a route runner any day of the week.
And miss the playoffs w/o the route runners.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
You kidding? Makes OLine and D even more important.
you said the Superbowl teams could win with a mediocre te and I'm telling ya why it's a rarity

One had the best QB in the league and the best 50/50 ball wr in the League

The other had a 10ish QB and the best dline, secondary, o line, and wr core

So yes I agree with ya about fixing the lines but can Dak win a Superbowl w a mediocre te or 2--- no way jose

Dak is a great QB but it starts at the top

Burrow is like Brady. He can win with way less talent and options. They shoulda won even though the Rams had a wayyyyy better team.

If burrow played for the Rams they woulda been undefeated

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Agree
And since it’s not gonna be a high pick you have time to develop him and another shot next year at one
To me the key to not having to pay second contracts to good but not elite players is having his replacement on the roster when he goes into his contract year. That opens trade options but at the very least a comp pick. Fixing problems before the become problems is much cheaper than after
we always wait too late. We shoulda paid Schultz (jarwin type money) in the off season last year after jarwin went down. He woulda took it

Now he wants Gronk money and he's just a possession receiving te and not even an elite te

He doesn't have the deep ball or 50/50 skillsets to be a Top Tier Te.

That's like paying a slot wr the same as a #1 wr money.

If we werent dumpster diving for 1 million tes at home Depot since 2018 and snatched up a couple of veterans for 3-5 million we wouldn't have this problem

We're not always looking for talent and doing our due dilligence. We're dragging our feet at drafting and not using fa to our advantage.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
I'll take jmar chase 50/50 baller over Cooper cupp route runner and they were the 2 best wrs in the league imo
Of course. Most fans want the flash, just like Jerry. However, the hard nosed route runners are what wins super bowls.

What Chase did(and it was amazing!!!) was made possible by route runner Tyler Boyd.

You really need both, but watching how Cupp took over the game, hard to see how the 50/50 jumpballer is preferred.

kskboys

Reaction score
we always wait too late. We shoulda paid Schultz (jarwin type money) in the off season last year after jarwin went down. He woulda took it

Now he wants Gronk money and he's just a possession receiving te and not even an elite te

He doesn't have the deep ball or 50/50 skillsets to be a Top Tier Te.

That's like paying a slot wr the same as a #1 wr money.

If we werent dumpster diving for 1 million tes at home Depot since 2018 and snatched up a couple of veterans for 3-5 million we wouldn't have this problem

We're not always looking for talent and doing our due dilligence. We're dragging our feet at drafting and not using fa to our advantage.
Have to agree.

ICP

Reaction score
I feel that we should be very grateful that Dallas hasn't overpaid Shultz to a multi-year contract yet. I mean, we all know it's coming but I'm glad it hasn't happened yet.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Oline bpa
Dline bpa
Wr
Te
Rb

We need a Te and a Wr who can start day 1

Oline and Dline (bpa)

And a RB for next year

But we need a few skilled players to replace that scoring production that left the building.

If we're counting on Lamb to get his production and replace coops production, and gallop to morph after an injury, and Washington to replace Cwil
We're drinking the koolaide.

If we think McKeon is gonna be the next Jarwin or Schultz were drinking the Koolaide.

If ya think zeke won't be the next cap casualty next year cheers to ya. Drink it up

We gotta draft before we need players and get ahead of the curve. And pay players when their market value is fair. And use fa to our advantage early and often. Not just when we have to overpay for a need or for betting on the longshots.

Last edited: