Why Hasn't Dalton Shultz Signed A Long Term Contract Yet

conner01

Reaction score
Of course. Most fans want the flash, just like Jerry. However, the hard nosed route runners are what wins super bowls.

What Chase did(and it was amazing!!!) was made possible by route runner Tyler Boyd.

You really need both, but watching how Cupp took over the game, hard to see how the 50/50 jumpballer is preferred.
I’d take a technician over the physical guy just because he doesn’t have to win the 50/50 because he’s wide open. A physical guy is great to have and ideally you have both but if I only could have one it would be the guy that gets open

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Of course. Most fans want the flash, just like Jerry. However, the hard nosed route runners are what wins super bowls.

What Chase did(and it was amazing!!!) was made possible by route runner Tyler Boyd.

You really need both, but watching how Cupp took over the game, hard to see how the 50/50 jumpballer is preferred.
Randy Moss was a beast ha ha ha. I liked Dez Also. Both have their places.
I was never a big Coop fan. But I liked beasely.

I definitely prefer the 50/50 ball Alpha Dog tes over the possession receiving tes. It never hurts to have a better blocking checkdown te for run support but on 3rd down and in the red zone I want a 50/50 baller that can make some big plays on occasion

When you gotta #10 QB it prolly fits better w a route runner

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
There's no way he's playing this year under the franchise tag 10.9 million.. He isn't worth it. From his point of view it's 10.9 million guaranteed for one year, He can bet on himself and get paid again next year. Dallas can A. sign him and get the cap hit down. B. Draft a replacement C. Sign or trade for another TE. Then rescind the tag.
Cowboys have him on the tag, Schultz isnt crying about it, and his contract is easily negotiable.
Dalton and this FO love this agreement.

kskboys

Reaction score
Randy Moss was a beast ha ha ha. I liked Dez Also. Both have their places.
I was never a big Coop fan. But I liked beasely.

I definitely prefer the 50/50 ball Alpha Dog tes over the possession receiving tes. It never hurts to have a better blocking checkdown te for run support but on 3rd down and in the red zone I want a 50/50 baller that can make some big plays on occasion

When you gotta #10 QB it prolly fits better w a route runner
Most fans also prefer the HR threat RB's, but the pounders are what wins super bowls. See Emmit Smith!!!!!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can knock Cook all ya want.

But I bet Cook has prolly averaged as many tds in the past 6-7 years THAN OUR ENTIRE TE CORE.

That's more like it ha ha ha

Yeah, your "prolly" is what counts, not 13 years of history.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Swaim was the serviceable te lol after Old man Witten you said. Lmao.

Then Witten unretired and he was back to that serviceable te you said. Lmao.

Then Jarwin was that Serviceable te you said Lol.

And finally after 8-9 years you were Right. Because Last year the combination of Schultz and Jarwins 8 games we're both serviceable. Especially the first 7 games with both of them

But we still got our grass torched in the first round of the playoffs dinking and dunking even with those serviceable tes ya see so it still wasn't a winning formula. Lol

After Swaim laid his rotten egg is when I went on a rant to get Cook from the Raiders.

Then he breaks out like I projected w 9 tds and helps lead the saints to the (almost Superbowl) which some argued was the worst no call in NFL History.

It coulda been us but y'all cried and cried for the possession receiving dried up old slow Shell of #82 instead.
No, what I said about Swain was that the Cowboys were caught off guard with Witten retiring and Swain would just be a bridge to the next TE, and that Jarwin had shown enough talent to be worth a look at being that guy.

Of course, you repeatedly present fiction and claim it as fact, so why would I expect different now? You at least got it right that the names Swain and Jarwin were part of the conversation at the time, which is closer than you get when you just make up stats off the top of your head..

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
No, what I said about Swain was that the Cowboys were caught off guard with Witten retiring and Swain would just be a bridge to the next TE, and that Jarwin had shown enough talent to be worth a look at being that guy.

Of course, you repeatedly present fiction and claim it as fact, so why would I expect different now? You at least got it right that the names Swain and Jarwin were part of the conversation at the time, which is closer than you get when you just make up stats off the top of your head..
Witten played like 7+years too long as the #1 te. He woulda been aight as the #2 Starting te.

Schultz is gonna be the #1 te this year. What's the solution to replacing Jarwin as the #2 te??

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

We shouldn't have been caught off guard at all. Witten wasnt a serviceable #1 te for way more than half a decade but we kept kicking the can down the road and making excuses while we played w a Subpar te core.

I may blow a few stats out of proportion on occasion but I'm a Realist who is in touch with the state of this offense. Especially at the te position.

I've been a proponent of drafting tes every year for 8+ years and picking up fa like Jimmy graham and Cook going way back.

I was dead on about old man Witten, Hanna, Escobar, Swaim, Gathers, and Jarwin and improving the te core while others were dead set on using a sub par te group to run this 12 personell.

We'll see what Schultz does this year. He's been the only near bright spot in a long line of draft busts and bargain bin fa's.

And at least we got respectable production out of our mediocre te core last year (for once in a decade) even though it wasn't against many playoff contenders and alot was just empty calorie stats in blowout games we coulda won w Terrance Steele as the red zone te.

The verdict is still not out on whether Schultz can beat man to man and catch contested balls consistently but he's doing ok getting open in those soft zones. It's all about what he can do when those soft zones and blanket coverages move to the #2 te and he has to win those 1 on 1 matchups. That's my concern. Js

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I guarantee ya non division defenses are not gonna be overly concerned if Schultz and McKeon catch some balls next year and only score 2 Tds in 11-12 games. Js

Its only gonna take about 4-5 games to see what this te core is made of. My gut feeling is we're gonna wish we would have gotten a couple of those 3-5 million dollar tes for depth that were available in fa

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten played like 7+years too long as the #1 te. He woulda been aight as the #2 Starting te.

Schultz is gonna be the #1 te this year. What's the solution to replacing Jarwin as the #2 te??

I don't know about #2 with Jarwin gone. I don't see anyone they can count on for that role now. Certainly something they have to address.

We shouldn't have been caught off guard at all. Witten wasnt a serviceable #1 te for way more than half a decade but we kept kicking the can down the road and making excuses while we played w a Subpar te core.

I may blow a few stats out of proportion on occasion but I'm a Realist who is in touch with the state of this offense. Especially at the te position.

I've been a proponent of drafting tes every year for 8+ years and picking up fa like Jimmy graham and Cook going way back.

I was dead on about old man Witten, Hanna, Escobar, Swaim, Gathers, and Jarwin and improving the te core while others were dead set on using a sub par te group to run this 12 personell.

We'll see what Schultz does this year. He's been the only near bright spot in a long line of draft busts and bargain bin fa's.

And at least we got respectable production out of our mediocre te core last year (for once in a decade) even though it wasn't against many playoff contenders and alot was just empty calorie stats in blowout games we coulda won w Terrance Steele as the red zone te.

The verdict is still not out on whether Schultz can beat man to man and catch contested balls consistently but he's doing ok getting open in those soft zones. It's all about what he can do when those soft zones and blanket coverages move to the #2 te and he has to win those 1 on 1 matchups. That's my concern. Js
Something we agree on - they did a poor job grooming someone as Witten aged. Escobar turned out to be a bad draft pick, and Swaim was never going to be more than back up quality. I had hope for Jarwin, but injuries were a problem and it didn't pan out.

As for being right about guys like Swaim, Hanna and Gathers - those guys were all either projects or role players all along, so there was nothing to be right about. Nobody was claiming they were going to be high quality TEs, or even starters for that matter. And we all knew Witten was slowing down. By 2015-2016 nobody thought of him as the player he was at his peak,

In any case, none of these past guys you keep talking about have anything to do with Schultz. Schultz has stepped up in a way no Cowboy TE has since Witten 7-8 years ago. Swaim/Escobar/Gathers etc have no bearing on Schultz.

As for "respectable production". he had more yards than all but 6 TE's, and more TD's than all but 3 TE's. That's more than respectable. The standard isn't either elite or average. He was definitely below elite, but well above average.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Something we agree on - they should have been looking harder for someone to step up as Witten aged, and Swaim was not it.

In any case, none of these past guys you keep talking about have anything to do with Schultz. Schultz has stepped up in a way no Cowboy TE has since Witten 7-8 years ago. Swaim/Escobar/Gathers etc have no bearing on Schultz.

As for "respectable production". he had more yards than all but 6 TE's, and more TD's than all but 3 TE's. That's more than respectable. The standard isn't either elite or average. He was definitely below elite, but well above average.

He did pretty good. Even better than Gronk did stats wise.

And he is a big improvement over any 1 te in 8 years.

But Schultz is just 1 te in a 2 te led offense that puts up alot of stats on 1st and 2nd down.
So the emphasis goes beyond just the #1 te.

Jarwin played around 50% of the Snaps. So we have to consider the Production of the entire te core. It matters.

And what Schultz did last year playing next to Jarwin is not the same production he put up in 2020 after Jarwin tore his ACL. He only had 4 tds if I remember correctly.

Is Schultz gonna be the 8td a year Player in 2021 or the 4td a year player he was in 2020?

Will he be better, the same as 2021, somewhere in between, or will he regress back to 2020?

My eyes says his ceiling is gonna be somewhere in the middle 60-70ish balls and 5-6 tds. Hopefully this dip in the te and wr core will change drastically before game 1.

But if he's lined up next to McKeon or Sprinkle I'm projecting a dip in his individual production and a dip in the entire te core #'s.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
To me the potency of the #2 te and wrs matter based upon how defenses are most likely gonna cover him.

I'd shift my coverages using man to man on Schultz and blanket sprinkle or McKeon but that's just me.

It's much harder to find those soft spots in the zone when you're drawing man to man. Js

Teams aren't as concerned with 10 ypc tes catching balls as they are those 3 wrs and rbs who can go all the way

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He did pretty good. Even better than Gronk did stats wise.

And he is a big improvement over any 1 te in 8 years.

But Schultz is just 1 te in a 2 te led offense that puts up alot of stats on 1st and 2nd down.
So the emphasis goes beyond just the #1 te.

Jarwin played around 50% of the Snaps. So we have to consider the Production of the entire te core. It matters.

And what Schultz did last year playing next to Jarwin is not the same production he put up in 2020 after Jarwin tore his ACL. He only had 4 tds if I remember correctly.

Is Schultz gonna be the 8td a year Player in 2021 or the 4td a year player he was in 2020?

Will he be better, the same as 2021, somewhere in between, or will he regress back to 2020?

My eyes says his ceiling is gonna be somewhere in the middle 60-70ish balls and 5-6 tds. Hopefully this dip in the te and wr core will change drastically before game 1.

But if he's lined up next to McKeon or Sprinkle I'm projecting a dip in his individual production and a dip in the entire te core #'s.
And you were showing a hint of reality. That didn't last long.

First, It's not really a 2 TE offense. We use 3 WR's consistently, and 4 some of the time, which we couldn't use if we were using 2 TE's all the time. 2 TE's are just another of many packages the team uses, not the standard.

Jarwin did not play 50% of the snaps over the year. He played 47% of the snaps in the 8 games that he played. Schultz played 81% of the snaps over the season, so he wasn't even every down. The others just had a small taste of the overall playing time.

As for 2020, time to move along. It's rare for anyone to reach a top level in his first year as a starter, so it's ridiculous to ignore his 2nd year as a starter and act like the 1st one is his standard. Even so, he was about 11th in TE production in 2020 as I recall, and he progressed in his 2nd year starting. Judge him by that.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

First, It's not really a 2 TE offense. We use 3 WR's consistently, and 4 some of the time, which we couldn't use if we were using 2 TE's all the time. 2 TE's are just another of many packages the team uses, not the standard.

Jarwin did not play 50% of the snaps over the year. He played 47% of the snaps in the 8 games that he played. Schultz played 81% of the snaps over the season, so he wasn't even every down. The others just had a small taste of the overall playing time.

As for 2020, time to move along. It's rare for anyone to reach a top level in his first year as a starter, so it's ridiculous to ignore his 2nd year as a starter and act like the 1st one is his standard. Even so, he was about 11th in TE production in 2020 as I recall, and he progressed in his 2nd year starting. Judge him by that.

Throw some projections out there of what kind of realistic #'s ya think he'll put up next year. I'm going with an avg. Esp with the dip in te and wr potency around him.

I'm going with 65 balls 676 yards and 6 tds. I think those are pretty generous stats for a possession receiving te

If we get a better replacement than Jarwin and Cooper and healthy gallop back it may change later

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I don't think we're gonna draft a day 1 starting #2 te that's gonna make and impact as a receiver. But I could be wrong.

I don't think we're gonna sign a veteran #2 te fa that's gonna make a big impact as a receiver either But I could be wrong.

I think it's gonna be Schultz, McKeon, and Sprinkle and less 12 personnel

But I think defenses will man up on Schultz and make the #2 te find soft spots in the zone.

And I think Schultz will put up 2014-2016 Witten'esque like #'s not the prime #82's numbers

I think Schultz will draw more man to man coverage regardless of whether we go 11 or 12 personnell.

I'm going by history and avgs.

Its no different then Cee Dee Lamb. I do think he's gonna put up more than 5-6 tds this year. Even though that's his avg. Cooper had 8 tds so that's a pretty realistic expectation imo

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

Maybe Schultz will catch 75 balls for 780 yards and 6 tds. Either way that's pretty generous stats for having a drop off at #2 te and every wr position also.

I hope you're not expecting him to put up 4 tds against Philly every year. Js.

They had big time Lb problems last year and I bet they won't overlook Schultz again this year.

Last edited: