Why hasn't Tank had his surgery?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is false. Pro athletes do not have to wait that long to have any procedure unless they choose to. He could have had it as soon as he wanted to. They are moved to the front of the line because of the team's relationships with their doctors.
Yep, it's not like they don't have orthopedist surgeons available.

There is another reason and it could be delaying a tag and trade. Or he could have calculated when he would be ready to hit the practice field. These vets are savvy, with the help of agents, at avoiding showing up before they feel it is necessary. I can recall some players, back in the day, retiring and mentioning how they wouldn't miss camp. Some of those camps were like Bear Bryant's A&M camps but that was the way players got into shape after working another job all off season.

Hell, by comparison to today's camps, some of these players have a clause that they need additional accommodations for their butler, personal assistant and massage therapist.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
There is another reason and it could be delaying a tag and trade. Or he could have calculated when he would be ready to hit the practice field. These vets are savvy, with the help of agents, at avoiding showing up before they feel it is necessary.

Adding all of that to his disappearing act in the second half of the season, I can't wait to make this guy the highest paid DE in football. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not blindssumption.

You are concluding that his comment about making the pb as a tagged player is a message but we do not know that for certain. That would be a buttload of dough he would be sitting out for and only Bell has come close to that.

Of course, he does have the history of the Cowboys blinking with Bryant with just the mere threat of a no show.
Every word he has ever said talks about a long-term deal and breaking the bank and not even spending his FT money until he really gets paid

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Adding all of that to his disappearing act in the second half of the season, I can't wait to make this guy the highest paid DE in football. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:
I am hoping, as most of us are, that is due to the shoulder.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
The Cowboyszone Fanbase turning on another good player come extension time. Never fails lol!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every word he has ever said talks about a long-term deal and breaking the bank and not even spending his FT money until he really gets paid

Nighty night, I am not debating his desire for a long term deal and his willingness to go along with the tag last season as cooperation toward that end but I have yet to see the man threaten to hold out if he's tagged again. He stands to make a little over 20M, that's enough for another kid.

What I do not like his reference to "breaking the bank", stupid comment. We all know they're all out to get as much as they can but better to keep that between his agent and himself. Makes him sound like a true merc.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Nighty night, I am not debating his desire for a long term deal and his willingness to go along with the tag last season as cooperation toward that end but I have yet to see the man threaten to hold out if he's tagged again. He stand to make a little over 20M, that's enough for another kid.

What I do not like his reference to "breaking the bank", stupid comment. We all know they're all out to get as much as they can but better to keep that between his agent and himself. Makes him sound like a true merc.
another TKO for the Champ

Doomsday101

Reaction score
First of all, what are you babbling about with regards to me making excuses for the players? I have rarely done that.

It has been said the rehab for his shoulder after this surgery could be like 8-10 weeks, which if he has the surgery next week, would put him well in line to be able to practice during some of the OTAs and not miss any of August camp. And the first set of workouts are non-contact anyway so he probably wouldn't be all that limited and be able to go through some drills. And the first two weeks of the first organized team workouts is conditioning and rehab anyway by league rules.

OTAs don't start until the end of May, which is 12 weeks away.

So why the hell do you guys have your panties in a bunch over this? Now if the delayed surgery results in him missing some of August camp, sure, then yeah, let's complain. Shoot, I will be right there with you if his delay causes him to miss some of camp.

But based on the little we've heard, that doesn't appear to be the case at this point.

I have my own views and opinions if you don't like it too damn bad.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Hmmmmm......think about it, you're a free agent worth about $100M. I'm not sure I would let a team doctor anywhere near me either until a contract is signed. What that saying......**** happens (LOL). Go in surgery one way and come out another.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have my own views and opinions if you don't like it too damn bad.

LOL.

Can’t you answer a simple question? If his surgery isn’t significant and won’t affect later OTAs and camp and the season, why get so upset about when he has the surgery?

Sydla

Reaction score
Nighty night, I am not debating his desire for a long term deal and his willingness to go along with the tag last season as cooperation toward that end but I have yet to see the man threaten to hold out if he's tagged again. He stands to make a little over 20M, that's enough for another kid.

I think there has been some implications he might be upset with a 2nd tag and some in the press have suggested he could hold out.

But to my knowledge Lawrence himself has never clearly stated he’s going to hold out if he doesn’t get a long term deal this year.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Bleacher report saying 1. He hasn't had his surgery, 2. He won't have surgery without a long term deal 3. He won't play under a second tag 4. Won't take part in in any OTAs without a long term deal.

Sounds like he's backing himself in a corner if he's serious about all of them.

I do think his shoulder injury wasnt a torn labrum.
There are differences: for instance a SLAP can be a grade 1 up to 4. Where 4 is a torn labrum. But with even a 3 you cant keep your arm up.

So to consider this guy tore his labrum anf played thru it the whole season is just a bad joke. He may have something like a slap 1. But this doesnt need surgery. You handle this conventional.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Lawrence is probably just throwing it in the Cowboys face saying im not doing it until I get paid. The Cowboys are probably asking him about it and he is indirectly trying to use it as leverage.

Verdict

Reaction score
Lawrence is probably just throwing it in the Cowboys face saying im not doing it until I get paid. The Cowboys are probably asking him about it and he is indirectly trying to use it as leverage.

Possibly. He's doing it for some reason. Physically speaking the sooner he does it the better.