Why have contracts? What good is 5th year option?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Why do fans takes the sides of billionaires over millionaires?

When a team cuts a player before the end of their contract isn't that the team not "honoring the contract?"

I know, you are going to say the player underperformed.

So when a player feels they have overperformed and want a contract that reflects that, they hold out, get fined for it, and the fan base screams they are not honoring their deal.
I dont give a damn about either persons money. What so many of you dont seem to understand is TEAMS follow the CBA..... ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS.

Players do not. Why is it fans are ok with players disregarding the contract they signed? When they get cut, that is PART OF THE CONTRACT. What is so hard to understand about this?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Minor nitpick, but Love isn't playing under his 5th year option. They agreed to a new contract in 2023 that replaced the option year this year.
https://overthecap.com/packers-and-jordan-love-agree-to-new-contract

The CBA allows players the right to ask for an extension after 3 years. Both sides agreed to that.
Some players are worth more than the option, less than, or right around that option.

Love plays a position that AAV is just under 5 times the cap hit this year.
His agent should be wanting a new deal for his client.

Love may holdout, and eat the fines. But he plays a position where if Green Bay doesn't pay him, they can either have an unhappy QB, now on the Franchise tag, or let him walk and another team pays him.
The player, due to his position, and last year play, holds a lot of the cards too.

Dallas could of not paid Martin, which I was fine with. He also could of retired or not reported and now the team would be missing it's AP Right Guard. Or maybe he could of come back at some point to get "credit" for the year.
Love is in fact UNDER CONTRACT.

Martin got more money.... who cares. We got booted in rd 1. I simply would not deal with a player under contract refusing to show up for work.... period. My point to this post was stating what I already stated. What is the point of having rookie contracts and 5th year options if the players just say screw that... im not playing under that deal?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Im aware of how the 5th year works. But to say what the niners are doing is pointless makes no sense. They will not make Aiyuk in the top 5, they have deebo samuel. Are the Bengals gonna make Tee Higgins even top 10? Nope, they will let him play out his option year and let him walk. Does anyone besides the Eagles have 2 top 10 paid WRs?

The boss I describe??? Uhm, how does following the CBA make anyone a bad boss? My point iss simple. Id play by the rules that both sides agreed to.
The way it works is only the teams have to follow the rules, players disregard the rules when they want.

Just wait and see what happens with Micah. He will demand he remain in the top 3 highest paid defenders EVERY season.
Contracts are made to be renegotiated. The CBA has an agreement for options after 3 years in Rookie contracts.

Only the most talented players force this issue with that type leverage. And it’s a risk on their part to their career.

The teams always have a choice of standing firm eventually letting them walk. And like L’Veon Bell it can cost them their career and or never rebounding.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Parsons is one of those top talents who can force the issue after 3 years. It’s allowed with CBA agreement which the owners agreed to.

Similar to what Elliott did. Cowboys didn’t have to cave. In the end it was a bad deal for the Cowboys.

But they did cause one, they intended on resigning Zeke and two at that time had other concerns which his absence could impact.

These are issues teams must face with the top talents. Can’t blame the top talents for wanting to be paid as such.

Adreme

Reaction score
Im aware of how the 5th year works. But to say what the niners are doing is pointless makes no sense. They will not make Aiyuk in the top 5, they have deebo samuel. Are the Bengals gonna make Tee Higgins even top 10? Nope, they will let him play out his option year and let him walk. Does anyone besides the Eagles have 2 top 10 paid WRs?

The boss I describe??? Uhm, how does following the CBA make anyone a bad boss? My point iss simple. Id play by the rules that both sides agreed to.
The way it works is only the teams have to follow the rules, players disregard the rules when they want.

Just wait and see what happens with Micah. He will demand he remain in the top 3 highest paid defenders EVERY season.
To answer your question first: Dolphins also do in Hill and Waddle and given that most other teams have a paid guy and a guy on a rookie we have to wait on the rest. Also 4 of the top 10 for 2 teams means there is very little room for the other 30 teams to also have 2 guys in there.

The reason that it is pointless is because they can either trade Aiyuk now and get at least a 2nd or wait until he walks and maybe you get a 3rd round comp which is the 100th pick in the draft. Frankly a pick in the top 50 next year is worth more than the 100th pick 2 years from now.

There is also zero basis for your premise with Micah but sure lets pretend you have some intimate knowledge of Micah Parsons and everything about him right down to what he will want in terms of a contract.

Finally as for the boss you describe I can tell, from experience, they lose every single good employee they get. They basically are then stuck with the people who are not good enough to leave and wonder why they cannot achieve success. When you try to play cute with your good employees you lose your good employees. When you make it clear further effort will not be rewarded, you stop putting in further effort. The kind of boss you describe exists in every industry and they always fail.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, but the dilemma and or argument that season which was a contract year for Prescott was can Dak have an effective season without Zeke.

There was concern without our running game Dak couldn’t be as effective. And as owner and GM if you’re trying to provide the public perception Dak is worth the 40 mil you need Zekes production.

These factors all play into it. Like this year if we resign Dak they aren’t going to let Lamb sit out for similar reasons. They can also Tag him. Last year they were afraid with Martin sitting the impact on Dak and offense.

The bottom line is if you are intending on retaining the player then caving in a year earlier doesn’t really make much difference in the long run.
You nailed it when you said they were afraid.

All QB's job becomes easier when you have an effective running back. Allowing that kind of fear dictate how you build a team isn't good for the overall team. They will pay Dak not because they believe he can win playoff games but because they are afraid the next guy might not be as good. It's no wonder they fail to build a really strong team. The front office is weak and lacks the fortitude to do what's needed and that weakness is spread through the coaches down to the players.

John813

Reaction score
Love is in fact UNDER CONTRACT.

Martin got more money.... who cares. We got booted in rd 1. I simply would not deal with a player under contract refusing to show up for work.... period. My point to this post was stating what I already stated. What is the point of having rookie contracts and 5th year options if the players just say screw that... im not playing under that deal?

Because the CBA allows for players to request new deals after their 3rd year.
And players can request raises even under a current contract.
These contracts are not fully guaranteed like other sports.
Both the players and teams can take advantage of that, depending on who has the upper hand.

If a player does not play at all, and it's not due to injury/fails to report, his contract can be tolled. Some players can fake injuries to avoid playing while getting credit.
Most players will fall in, as they are not star players. The stars can take advantage.

conner01

Reaction score
I was listening to Mike Florio and on the show they were discussing Jordan Love currently due to get paid about 11 million and how there is no way he will play under that.

I often hear how this player is far outproducing his contract.

It seems no players actually play under the 5th year option.

So this brings me to my question. What is the point of having a CBA that spells out the rules teams can play by. The players agreed to the CBA. So why dont teams play hardball? I am loving what the niners are doing with Aiyuk. Every player that signs does not mean they should get top 5 money at their position.So if he doesnt want to play this year, while hes under contract, PLEASE.... let him suffer the fines and then not play and lose a year's salary.

If I ran the Cowboys, or any team fo rthat matter, I simply would not renegotiate these deals. Zack Martin last year? Not a chance in hell Id have given him more money. Any why would the team that holds to a contract be the bad guy? How are you supposed to deal with the salary cap when agents and players are constantly wanting new deals done before contracts are up. This is really starting to snowball and until some teams say no and stick to their guns, this issue is about to get a lot worse moving forward.
Lots of players play on 5th year option and it’s his option love wouldnt but holding out cost 11 million so he likely would. The advantage of signing before then is cost since contracts go up every year and good will since every agent and players sees every deal

conner01

Reaction score
FRONT LOAD, I stopped right there! Why don't they do this? They wait until the end and load it so a player is making 59 million in one year, do it early while the player is still deserving of it
Every team does because every team knows cap is still going up each year. If it ever stops going up year after year they will know ahead of time because they are long term contracts for broadcast rights that drive increases

Tussinman

Reaction score
Last cowboys player that played exclusively on a 5th year option was Byron Jones. Claiborne and LVE had the 5th year option was declined.

Playing under a 5th year only is more for players that have injury issues or inconsistent play. It's basically a one year "prove it" deal.

Players that have proven themselves will majority of the time have a new deal locked up by then and players that are really shaky (performance and injury wise) will either be cut, traded, or have the option declined.

Josh Allen of the Jaguars just recently played on the 5th year (good player but not quite enough leverage to avoid it) and he wound up breaking the franchise sack record at 17.5 sacks. Ended up with a $150 million dollar deal as a result !

plymkr

Reaction score
I was listening to Mike Florio and on the show they were discussing Jordan Love currently due to get paid about 11 million and how there is no way he will play under that.

So this brings me to my question. What is the point of having a CBA that spells out the rules teams can play by. The players agreed to the CBA. So why dont teams play hardball? I am loving what the niners are doing with Aiyuk. Every player that signs does not mean they should get top 5 money at their position.So if he doesnt want to play this year, while hes under contract, PLEASE.... let him suffer the fines and then not play and lose a year's salary.

If I ran the Cowboys, or any team fo rthat matter, I simply would not renegotiate these deals. Zack Martin last year? Not a chance in hell Id have given him more money. Any why would the team that holds to a contract be the bad guy? How are you supposed to deal with the salary cap when agents and players are constantly wanting new deals done before contracts are up. This is really starting to snowball and until some teams say no and stick to their guns, this issue is about to get a lot worse moving forward.
This is what I was alluding to the other day. Why call them contracts anymore. We should call them “non legal verbal agreements”.

Flamma

Reaction score

I'm not totally sure what you're saying here. Every first round pick that gets his 5th year option picked up play under the 5th year option. Just because you got an extension earlier doesn't mean your 5th year option disappeared. The year remains. Your extension starts after the 5th year option. That's what an extension means.

On the other hand, if you're saying players don't like to play out the entirety of their contract without an extension, that's 99% of players. But that still doesn't mean their 5th year option vanishes if they get an extension.

Jordan Love and Zach Martin don't apply to this. Both are past their rookie deals. A 5th year option doesn't apply to either one of them.

Flamma

Reaction score
I didn’t hear the conversation buts in the Packers best interest to re-sign him now and be able to spread that money through extra year as opposed to doing what we will have to do with Dak. I don’t think Love and his team care about a deal do they? I would think he’d gamble on himself like Kirk and Dak did.
Love isn't on his 5th year option. They never picked that up.

It's also misleading when people say Love won't play for that money. He'll play, he just wants an extension to that last year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Love isn't on his 5th year option. They never picked that up.

It's also misleading when people say Love won't play for that money. He'll play, he just wants an extension to that last year.
I'm confused then....so he's under contract right now.....they can't give him a 5 year deal and add it on to this deal this year?

Flamma

Reaction score
Contracts are made to be renegotiated. The CBA has an agreement for options after 3 years in Rookie contracts.
Final years to a rookie contract are never renegotiated, they are restructured. Take Lawrence for example. He got 5 years 55M + the money from the two rookie years left. Spread out over 7 years.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm confused then....so he's under contract right now.....they can't give him a 5 year deal and add it on to this deal this year?
Yes they can. That's all he wants. But since he's not on a rookie contract anymore, they can do whatever they want. They can completely scrap this year if they want.

blueblood70

Reaction score

you either are on a fifth-year option or a franchise tag. the 1st rounder get their 5th year option correct but many pay on it and the FT they are basically the same with small differences. So dak playing on the FT is basically the same as CD or Parson on a 5th year. its just where you were drafted but a need to extend the deal to further negotiate while paying for more money. but both fully guarantee the money and pays them a lot more..

MANY pay on the FT, so don't see the difference but the 1st rounders ego makes them hold out on the 5th year, they feel entitled.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You nailed it when you said they were afraid.

All QB's job becomes easier when you have an effective running back. Allowing that kind of fear dictate how you build a team isn't good for the overall team. They will pay Dak not because they believe he can win playoff games but because they are afraid the next guy might not be as good. It's no wonder they fail to build a really strong team. The front office is weak and lacks the fortitude to do what's needed and that weakness is spread through the coaches down to the players.
Thats a load of crap. Wehad one of the most talented rosters in the league last year... PERIOD. We just dont have Mahomes.