Why have contracts? What good is 5th year option?

blueblood70

Reaction score
The players aren't holding out for more money that is on the 5th year option, they are holding out to get paid beyond the 5th year option.

The players aren't holding out for more money that is on the 5th year option, they are holding out to get paid beyond the 5th year option.
That's not what the question was ,he's wondering why there is a fifth year option if no one plays on it which by the way many, many people play on it and that's why I brought up the franchise tag it's pretty much the same thing it's just the first rounders have a fifth year option they signed the damn contract and it's a utilization by both parties to help extend some time to get a contract signed literally just like the franchise tag..

that's why players who are in all the other rounds they have to be franchise tagged or transition tagged.. many players play on all of that,

so where the OP gets this that no one plays on it he's not like watching all 32 teams that closely but players need to play on it..

I'm with him, they need to have the owner stand pat these things are in the contracts this was bargained in the CBA and I think some of these owners just need to put their foot down and go ahead and challenge them let the player hold out an entire year with no money, that's 17 to $22 million for our two players, you know Micah Parsons and lamb who both need to step up as much as everyone says Prescott needs to, I say go ahead hold out ,lose 17 million or more because you think you're worth more now, when you sign the damn agreement you need to get your *** into camp you need to play and you'll get your money even Prescott was on his franchise tag broke his ankle and the Cowboys still played him... so I don't want to hear how they're worried about their health and it's going to affect their contracts....

No it doesn't, I mean it's proof right here on our own team if you're that good it doesn't matter if you get injured or not, you will get paid... There may be some fringe players but they're not the ones who are getting these fifth year options at franchise tags...

All I was trying to convey to the conversation was the 5th year option is played on, it's not much different than the franchise tag, which many people play on that's it that's what I'm saying and I'm not on the player side in most of these cases they signed the damn contracts and these fifty year options and franchise tax guarantee their money healthy or not it literally pays Emmy ton of money I mean over 1,000,000 a game and we're going to stay here inside with the players no they're going to get paid but they're for sure like the Pittsburgh Steelers did with Antonio Brown and le'veon bell needs to be done more we need to stop the madness these players need to fulfill their contracts and the best ones will get their money...

In my opinion these players owe the team and the fans to get on the field and play out your contract, this is not one of those situations where they're severely underpaid ,

it's ridiculous over $1,000,000 a game you're going to call that underpaid and again they will get paid it's guaranteed and if you're good enough the team will sign you if you get injured or not Prescott's a glaring example... so there is no excuse for them not to sign the damn contract.. I get not playing any of the OTA's or the mini camps or even training camp.

I don't even care if the guys come in for training camp as long as a week before they game one starts they show up and start practicing while they're installing the game plans and they play the entire year that's all I care about if they want to protect themselves from injury and things that are not important like practice these guys are veterans they could practice on their own on the side with their own people...

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's not what the question was ,he's wondering why there is a fifth year option if no one plays on it which by the way many, many people play on it and that's why I brought up the franchise tag it's pretty much the same thing it's just the first rounders have a fifth year option they signed the damn contract and it's a utilization by both parties to help extend some time to get a contract signed literally just like the franchise tag..

that's why players who are in all the other rounds they have to be franchise tagged or transition tagged.. many players play on all of that,

so where the OP gets this that no one plays on it he's not like watching all 32 teams that closely but players need to play on it..

I'm with him, they need to have the owner stand pat these things are in the contracts this was bargained in the CBA and I think some of these owners just need to put their foot down and go ahead and challenge them let the player hold out an entire year with no money, that's 17 to $22 million for our two players, you know Micah Parsons and lamb who both need to step up as much as everyone says Prescott needs to, I say go ahead hold out ,lose 17 million or more because you think you're worth more now, when you sign the damn agreement you need to get your *** into camp you need to play and you'll get your money even Prescott was on his franchise tag broke his ankle and the Cowboys still played him... so I don't want to hear how they're worried about their health and it's going to affect their contracts....

No it doesn't, I mean it's proof right here on our own team if you're that good it doesn't matter if you get injured or not, you will get paid... There may be some fringe players but they're not the ones who are getting these fifth year options at franchise tags...

All I was trying to convey to the conversation was the 5th year option is played on, it's not much different than the franchise tag, which many people play on that's it that's what I'm saying and I'm not on the player side in most of these cases they signed the damn contracts and these fifty year options and franchise tax guarantee their money healthy or not it literally pays Emmy ton of money I mean over 1,000,000 a game and we're going to stay here inside with the players no they're going to get paid but they're for sure like the Pittsburgh Steelers did with Antonio Brown and le'veon bell needs to be done more we need to stop the madness these players need to fulfill their contracts and the best ones will get their money...

In my opinion these players owe the team and the fans to get on the field and play out your contract, this is not one of those situations where they're severely underpaid ,

it's ridiculous over $1,000,000 a game you're going to call that underpaid and again they will get paid it's guaranteed and if you're good enough the team will sign you if you get injured or not Prescott's a glaring example... so there is no excuse for them not to sign the damn contract.. I get not playing any of the OTA's or the mini camps or even training camp.

I don't even care if the guys come in for training camp as long as a week before they game one starts they show up and start practicing while they're installing the game plans and they play the entire year that's all I care about if they want to protect themselves from injury and things that are not important like practice these guys are veterans they could practice on their own on the side with their own people...
Then they would be holding out on the 4th year for an extension.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

There’s only a few Elite players each year in the NFL who have this type of leverage to hold out after 3 Rookie seasons to try and force the issue.

Yes, being marquee talent it becomes high profile. But hardly enough to bring such negative attention to it.

High profile Rookies aren’t paid as much as they used to be after Draft and Id argue if become Elite early in career have the right to pursue negotiations after third season.

Most of these players aren’t high profile and are hoping their 5th year option is picked up. Otherwise they’ll either be released or have to pursue another team in FA.

I see no need for new rules with the CBA to place more restrictions on a few of the most Elite players to renegotiate their contracts. Owners always have the choice to let them walk or continue holding out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
These Rookie deals for some of the most Elite players is highway robbery for the owners.

Especially if they become a star in first couple years. And we wonder why they don’t care if they stick it to them when their contract comes up for negotiations.

I see no reason why Parsons shouldn’t hold out to become one of the top paid defensive players now . Why should we be allowed to continue getting him for rock bottom basement salary just because he’s on a Rookie contract.

That’s doesn’t sound like Free Market. As a matter of fact it sounds like pre Free Agency when players played in a more oppressive era with shackles on.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There’s only a few Elite players each year in the NFL who have this type of leverage to hold out after 3 Rookie seasons to try and force the issue.

Yes, being marquee talent it becomes high profile. But hardly enough to bring such negative attention to it.

High profile Rookies aren’t paid as much as they used to be after Draft and Id argue if become Elite early in career have the right to pursue negotiations after third season.

Most of these players aren’t high profile and are hoping their 5th year option is picked up. Otherwise they’ll either be released or have to pursue another team in FA.

I see no need for new rules with the CBA to place more restrictions on a few of the most Elite players to renegotiate their contracts. Owners always have the choice to let them walk or continue holding out.
I would strongly consider trading all my first round picks. Every year they say there are only 15 legitimate first round picks this year.

So if you are picking after the top 15, the value is a second round pick. I would rather have 3 second round picks than 2. Just saying

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would strongly consider trading all my first round picks. Every year they say there are only 15 legitimate first round picks this year.

So if you are picking after the top 15, the value is a second round pick. I would rather have 3 second round picks than 2. Just saying
No, that means you probably won’t end up with as much talent. Quantity over quality consistently will come up short with Elite talent.

The salary cap has benefitted owners with cheap rookie contracts. Even for the top draft picks. No wonder some of the best talent are forcing the issue on second contract.