Why have contracts? What good is 5th year option?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Because the CBA allows for players to request new deals after their 3rd year.
And players can request raises even under a current contract.
These contracts are not fully guaranteed like other sports.
Both the players and teams can take advantage of that, depending on who has the upper hand.

If a player does not play at all, and it's not due to injury/fails to report, his contract can be tolled. Some players can fake injuries to avoid playing while getting credit.
Most players will fall in, as they are not star players. The stars can take advantage.
I know how it works.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'm not totally sure what you're saying here. Every first round pick that gets his 5th year option picked up play under the 5th year option. Just because you got an extension earlier doesn't mean your 5th year option disappeared. The year remains. Your extension starts after the 5th year option. That's what an extension means.

On the other hand, if you're saying players don't like to play out the entirety of their contract without an extension, that's 99% of players. But that still doesn't mean their 5th year option vanishes if they get an extension.

Jordan Love and Zach Martin don't apply to this. Both are past their rookie deals. A 5th year option doesn't apply to either one of them.
Im well aware how it works. CeeDee is under contract.... but where is he?

Martine simply said I know Im under contract, but im not coming to work unless you pay me more.

Love signed a deal and he is under contract for a pretty small amount. No way he plays this year for that amount. My point with him is simple... nobody broke his arm to sign the deal he signed. Yet he wont honor it. Why should teams cave and renegotiate every time a player says so?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The players aren't holding out for more money that is on the 5th year option, they are holding out to get paid beyond the 5th year option.
and my point is simple.... you are under contract. F you. Come to work and we will work on the extension, but until you come to work... pound rocks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thats a load of crap. Wehad one of the most talented rosters in the league last year... PERIOD. We just dont have Mahomes.
That’s an opinion , not a fact.

We had major weaknesses on defense stopping the run and a lack of a better rushing offense.

Anyone who doesn’t believe SF had a stronger overall roster need to take off their blinders off.

I’d take SF, Det, Buff and Balt last year over Dallas in the playoffs.

No doubt with a greater QB we could have gone deeper in playoffs but I’d argue we are in the next group of teams not one of the best.

Part of that is we don’t have as great of QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
and my point is simple.... you are under contract. F you. Come to work and we will work on the extension, but until you come to work... pound rocks.
Your thought process sounds more like an oppressive type of attitude. Pounding rocks. Perhaps we should put shackles on them.

The greatest talents ultimately have more leverage if the employer intends to retain them.

If they don’t show up have the option not to pay them and or can fine them. Or can trade or release them. Teams have several options.

Renegotiating contract is a normal and legal course of action in our free society. Only the best of the best can exercise this leverage.

Players only have one option if the team is reluctant to renegotiate while under contract which is sitting out.

Flamma

Reaction score

Martine simply said I know Im under contract, but im not coming to work unless you pay me more.

Love signed a deal and he is under contract for a pretty small amount. No way he plays this year for that amount. My point with him is simple... nobody broke his arm to sign the deal he signed. Yet he wont honor it. Why should teams cave and renegotiate every time a player says so?
My only point of contention was regarding the 5th year option. Martin and Love don't apply. In their cases, I would agree with you. They had to up AJ Brown's contract just to keep him happy.

What most likely will happen is Love will get an extension that incorporates that low paid year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Because these players can.

Perhaps you simply don’t like the fact the more talented players have more leverage?

That’s the way it worked in our office too. The bigger producers earned more and had more leverage to negotiate , etc and got away with almost anything.

As an employer you have to decide if their talents and production are enough to tolerate. Our owners have a choice.

Flamma

Reaction score

Perhaps you simply don’t like the fact the more talented players have more leverage?

That’s the way it worked in our office too. The bigger producers earned more and had more leverage to negotiate , etc and got away with almost anything.

As an employer you have to decide if their talents and production are enough to tolerate. Our owners have a choice.
I think what he's basically saying is that teams have to abide by contracts. Anything guaranteed in that contract is always paid out. But players sometimes don't abide by what they agreed to. This is true, mainly because of what you said. All I have to say on that is, the owners get to make a choice. Whatever they choose, it's on them. If Lamb sits out all season, and Jerry lets it happen, then Lamb loses the 17M and however much in fines.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think what he's basically saying is that teams have to abide by contracts. Anything guaranteed in that contract is always paid out. But players sometimes don't abide by what they agreed to. This is true, mainly because of what you said. All I have to say on that is, the owners get to make a choice. Whatever they choose, it's on them. If Lamb sits out all season, and Jerry lets it happen, then Lamb loses the 17M and however much in fines.
Yep, and Lamb goes elsewhere in FA next year.

That’s the choice teams have . Lamb made his. It’s just business.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That’s an opinion , not a fact.

We had major weaknesses on defense stopping the run and a lack of a better rushing offense.

Anyone who doesn’t believe SF had a stronger overall roster need to take off their blinders off.

I’d take SF, Det, Buff and Balt last year over Dallas in the playoffs.

No doubt with a greater QB we could have gone deeper in playoffs but I’d argue we are in the next group of teams not one of the best.

Part of that is we don’t have as great of QB.
Did I say we had the BEST lineup? But to deny we had the top 5 most talented roster in the league is absolutely wearing blinders. By the way, we beat Detroit. Take off your Hate jerry blinders.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Your thought process sounds more like an oppressive type of attitude. Pounding rocks. Perhaps we should put shackles on them.

The greatest talents ultimately have more leverage if the employer intends to retain them.

If they don’t show up have the option not to pay them and or can fine them. Or can trade or release them. Teams have several options.

Renegotiating contract is a normal and legal course of action in our free society. Only the best of the best can exercise this leverage.

Players only have one option if the team is reluctant to renegotiate while under contract which is sitting out.
I went to McGeorge School of Law. I need no lesson on how contracts work.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
My only point of contention was regarding the 5th year option. Martin and Love don't apply. In their cases, I would agree with you. They had to up AJ Brown's contract just to keep him happy.

What most likely will happen is Love will get an extension that incorporates that low paid year.
and Honestly... Ive no problem with giving Love a new deal... because you know they are going to. He showed at the end of his very FIRST year as a starter that he looks legit. So pay his arse. It isnt complicated. But those under contract that refuse to show up.... screw you.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Correct... I am just saying I would not cave. These players think they are bigger than the team and the game. If I have a player under contract, under no circumstances would I let them dictate to me. I dont care who you are. If we have a contract, we will both honor that deal. If you hold out, Ill let you. And I will fine your arse as the contract allows. It isnt complicated.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Did I say we had the BEST lineup? But to deny we had the top 5 most talented roster in the league is absolutely wearing blinders. By the way, we beat Detroit. Take off your Hate jerry blinders.
Lions gave the game away to us. And I’d bet they’d of beat us in playoffs if Dumb Dan doesn’t give it away again like he did in SF.

I’d say we were in the next group of talented teams in top 10 not top 5.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Correct... I am just saying I would not cave. These players think they are bigger than the team and the game. If I have a player under contract, under no circumstances would I let them dictate to me. I dont care who you are. If we have a contract, we will both honor that deal. If you hold out, Ill let you. And I will fine your arse as the contract allows. It isnt complicated.
I understand it’s what you’d do. Are you even interested why these owners don’t always agree with you? And are willing to cave .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I went to McGeorge School of Law. I need no lesson on how contracts work.
Oh yea , I forget you’re a teacher, soft ball coach and law school student.

You think everyone should fall in line to your kind of thinking.

You’re of course entitled to your opinion but you don’t seem interested in others.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
How did it affect their season?

Pretty sure they just signed him to a long term deal.
He sat out game one, a loss at home to Detroit. They were not the one seed for the playoffs. They have a very successful FO because they react fast. But they’re not perfect.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He sat out game one, a loss at home to Detroit. They were not the one seed for the playoffs. They have a very successful FO because they react fast. But they’re not perfect.
No on claims any FO to be perfect. I just want ours to not be incompetent.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

If the Packers are not anxious to secure Love’s services beyond this season they can prove that to him by not offering to extend him. Then he plays out his current deal and the Packers then have to extend him, tag him to keep him or let him go. Nothing he can do about it. The tag number is huge and it hits the Packers cap all at once, so Love would be in a better negotiating posture than he is now. That may not be what the Packers want to do. So, they may want to sit down and negotiate a deal with him. He’s definitely going to get paid huge for 2025 if they do nothing. Isn’t his agent from the same group as Dak’s? The Packers are not going to repeat what Jerry did with Dak. These agents aren’t just piling up bar tabs. They’re building their reps and bank accounts.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If the Packers are not anxious to secure Love’s services beyond this season they can prove that to him by not offering to extend him. Then he plays out his current deal and the Packers then have to extend him, tag him to keep him or let him go. Nothing he can do about it. The tag number is huge and it hits the Packers cap all at once, so Love would be in a better negotiating posture than he is now. That may not be what the Packers want to do. So, they may want to sit down and negotiate a deal with him. He’s definitely going to get paid huge for 2025 if they do nothing. Isn’t his agent from the same group as Dak’s? The Packers are not going to repeat what Jerry did with Dak. These agents aren’t just piling up bar tabs. They’re building their reps and bank accounts.
If I am Jordan Love I would sit out the entire year until I got a new contract.