Why I believe the 7-1 PHI team is a paper Eagle

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, the Cowboys needs to show that they are able to defeat the paper tiger.

dfense

Reaction score
I disagree. They’re an excellent team. Their greatest strength is their consistency. They almost always beat the teams they’re supposed to beat. That’s why they’re so difficult to catch in the standings once they get out ahead of you. It sounds like a trivial detail—”They beat the teams they’re better than. Big whoop.”—but it’s not. Jason Garrett never joined the ranks of good because he didn’t consistently win games he should’ve won. He lost to bad teams. He blew multi-score leads in the fourth quarter when his win probability was well over ninety percent. The Eagles seldom do this.
Funny, I haven't missed a Cowboys game in 35 years and I can remember games they lost but should have won. But I can't think of many games in the Garrett era where he lost games when Cowboys had a multi-score lead.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Funny, I haven't missed a Cowboys game in 35 years and I can remember games they lost but should have won. But I can't think of many games in the Garrett era where he lost games when Cowboys had a multi-score lead.
There were three in his first full year. Detroit, New York, and New York.

Robster8989

Reaction score
Should be a great game and another bell weather game for us (hopefully, we do better than the last bell weather game, lol).
The Eagles are a very good team, but I don't think they are as good as last year (right now at least, but that could change as the season progresses).
Their OL and DL are the class of the league. They are much stronger up the middle on D than we are, I'd probably give us a slght edge at Edge (though they are very good there too, Reddick seems to have awaken finally).
Hurts has not neen as good as last season, and seems hampered a bit. That can reduce his elusiveness, and help us.
Dak seems to be getting out of the pocket and making plays which makes us better (and may help negate their DLine dominance).
I still don't think we can run on them, and I do think they can run on us, which gives them an advantage.
Their receivers are great, but if our DB's can make plays/picks that could turn the tide in this game. Contain them, don;t let them make the big plays and TDs.
Their DB's seem to have taken a big step back from last year. Still good, but not great. Bradberry looks beatable and even Slay does at times too (though he still makes plays at times too). Both teams are suspect at LB but their DT strength masks it well for them, but I still think Pollard and Fergy could help us control the sticks with quick hits and gains against their LBs.
Ultimately, TO's will probably decide the game, plus we cant get behind early.
Go Cowboys!

dfense

Reaction score
There were three in his first full year. Detroit, New York, and New York.
2011 ? I'll give you the Lions game. Cowboys had a 20 to 3 lead at the half and then Romo threw 2 pick sixes in the third quarter and they ended up losing. One pick to Bobby Carpenter ahhh!

But the Giants games, the Cowboys never had a lead in either game. First one was close all game 37-34

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
2011 ? I'll give you the Lions game. Cowboys had a 20 to 3 lead at the half and then Romo threw 2 pick sixes in the third quarter and they ended up losing. One pick to Bobby Carpenter ahhh!

But the Giants games, the Cowboys never had a lead in either game. First one was close all game 37-34
The Cowboys had 34-22 lead with five minutes left against the Giants.

Yet another game in which Romo had a damn near perfect passer rating and lost. Jerry’s greatest sin wasn’t firing Jimmy. It was saddling Romo with a guy who had no business being an NFL head coach.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201112110dal.htm

Last edited:

Mikexike

Reaction score
1. Comparables.

2023-11-01_12-23-15.png.b58e6dc70cff06e0dff689d776ec7c74.png
2023-11-01_12-22-06.png.bba6eab31b4c972f98721949f24326c2.png

2. A single impressive victory... Miami. And a single victory in which the outcome was never really in doubt... Tampa Bay.

This is a fortunate team. Yes, it's sometimes better to be lucky than good. No doubt. This post is just looking at the question of "how good are they really?"

They might be the weakest, most vulnerable 7-1 team in recent memory.

Now, none of that matters to Sunday's outcome specifically. They could continue to be fortunate, and we could lose. Reality, otoh, is most NFL games are that way... a bad team that plays at or near their ceiling often is capable of defeating a good team that plays at or near its floor.

I'm only making the point that is the subject header... this Eagles team has so far proven to be something less than the hype they're enjoying from being 7-1.
I see your point, They remind me of the Vikings team from last year....

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I agree with everything except about their pass rush. They have 25 sacks so far compared to Cowboys 18. Their DL has been very tough.
hmmm… you know after watching both teams it just seems we put more pressure on the QB. Maybe we just don't get the sacks because we over pursue? I'll be honest I'm not much into stats, but I wonder how many QB hurries they have opposed to us? It sure seems like we have more.

blueblood70

Reaction score
1. Comparables.

2023-11-01_12-23-15.png.b58e6dc70cff06e0dff689d776ec7c74.png
2023-11-01_12-22-06.png.bba6eab31b4c972f98721949f24326c2.png

2. A single impressive victory... Miami. And a single victory in which the outcome was never really in doubt... Tampa Bay.

This is a fortunate team. Yes, it's sometimes better to be lucky than good. No doubt. This post is just looking at the question of "how good are they really?"

They might be the weakest, most vulnerable 7-1 team in recent memory.

Now, none of that matters to Sunday's outcome specifically. They could continue to be fortunate, and we could lose. Reality, otoh, is most NFL games are that way... a bad team that plays at or near their ceiling often is capable of defeating a good team that plays at or near its floor.

I'm only making the point that is the subject header... this Eagles team has so far proven to be something less than the hype they're enjoying from being 7-1.
Well I agree with most of that I wouldn't go that far the Eagles deserve a little bit of hype I mean they did go to the Super bowl last year now they started out with only one loss and yeah the Miami victory is supposed to be impressive but you forgot to mention that the Philadelphia Eagles didn't get penalized one time in that game and the penalties against Miami were insane and they were missing four of their starters in that game I mean two of their corners were out I mean who is A.J. Brown beating??

So, yes the Eagles are good but they're being overhyped...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I see your point, They remind me of the Vikings team from last year....
I wouldn't go that far but the Eagles are being overhyped... The problem is we're playing on the road in their house probably going to be a cold game outdoors with our Kelly's heel so it might be tough to beat them but they're definitely not unbeatable they never have been the Cowboys play the Eagles very well they play the NFC East very well we have a problem with the 49ers right there outside of that i'm not that worried..

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I don’t even think Egirls fans are sold on their team yet this season. They’ve been beyond lucky in accumulating 7 wins. Hurts has regressed a bit and the defense isn’t as consistent as last season.

I still favor them to win the East but I don’t see them winning 14 games. They have a brutal 6 game stretch starting this weekend before an easy last three games. 3-3 during that stretch probably wins them the division.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I disagree. They’re an excellent team. Their greatest strength is their consistency. They almost always beat the teams they’re supposed to beat. That’s why they’re so difficult to catch in the standings once they get out ahead of you. It sounds like a trivial detail—”They beat the teams they’re better than. Big whoop.”—but it’s not. Jason Garrett never joined the ranks of good because he didn’t consistently win games he should’ve won. He lost to bad teams. He blew multi-score leads in the fourth quarter when his win probability was well over ninety percent. The Eagles seldom do this.
Great point. Winning the games "you're supposed to win" is a great way to rack up wins.

They blew the Jets game though....

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I suggest just flipping a coin a 1000 times between now and Sunday instead of these useless threads.

And then keep on flipping to the next match-up regardless of what happens in this one

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Who is we in this scenario?
ALL of us!

Myself and the staff....

And fine fans like mcmvp and all the other new generation of fans

And then members like you that help keep memories from the good ole days alive and help teach us young yippersnappers that Cowboys history didn't begin with Troy Aikman.

Each of us.....together....all doing our part in our own little way!

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Yeah they’re paper tigers just like the paper tigers that went to SB last year.