CFZ Why I don't think Sean Payton is coming to Dallas

JBS

Reaction score
Not long actually thinking it up, but I think it's more logical. It started as a spark on another thread, and it made more sense to me as I was writing this thread. The Atlanta part of the equation with Dan is irrelevant to me. What he provides is a different approach, if we change HCs. Like I said, we've tried the offensive approach. Maybe it's time to try the other side of the ball with someone who the front office clearly respects. Look at how the team is assembled compared to when Garrett is here. Surely that's correct.

first of all, well done taking my previous post in stride. I disagreed w just about all of your points and come out hot.

the problem w your point here is, you think it matters whether the head coach is an offensive or defensive guy. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that Jerry only hires puppets. The only way this ship will turn around is if somebody comes in here and is able to push his weight around and force the joneses to change. That’s not MM, it wasn’t Garrett, it wasn’t anybody else these losers have hired in 25 years - save for Parcells. DQ also probably isn’t that guy. S. Payton has a chance to be that guy but who knows if he’s even capable of doing it but he at least has the alpha male in him to make it possible.

offense, defense, special teams, special Ed, it doesn’t matter. An alpha male has to come in here and change the culture. Jerry and Stephen know this and they intentionally avoid it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
first of all, well done taking my previous post in stride. I disagreed w just about all of your points and come out hot.

the problem w your point here is, you think it matters whether the head coach is an offensive or defensive guy. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that Jerry only hires puppets. The only way this ship will turn around is if somebody comes in here and is able to push his weight around and force the joneses to change. That’s not MM, it wasn’t Garrett, it wasn’t anybody else these losers have hired in 25 years - save for Parcells. DQ also probably isn’t that guy. S. Payton has a chance to be that guy but who knows if he’s even capable of doing it but he at least has the alpha male in him to make it possible.

offense, defense, special teams, special Ed, it doesn’t matter. An alpha male has to come in here and change the culture. Jerry and Stephen know this and they intentionally avoid it.

Let me ask you this. What makes you think Quinn isn't that guy? I think he is. As I laid out, the changes on this defence are not by accident or coincidence in my view. To me, it looks like a plan is actually in place. It looks to me like Jerry is actually listening to Quinn. As such, our defence looks night and day compared to Marinelli and Nolan. If Quinn had continues improving that side this year and keeps as someone who the team seems to respond well to, why shouldn't he be that guy?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Rusy I ♡ u like one of my own. But this topic has been horse beaten to death 1000 times over. (no pun intended lol) If Jerry wanted Payton & if Payton wanted the HC position, he'd be here already! Change my mind!
*has sugar cube on palm of hand

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Rusy I ♡ u like one of my own. But this topic has been horse beaten to death 1000 times over. (no pun intended lol) If Jerry wanted Payton & if Payton wanted the HC position, he'd be here already! Change my mind!
*has sugar cube on palm of hand

*noms it* oh fur sure, and the fact he's not here says that other part. I just think it makes more sense to have Quinn as the next coach than Payton, and I don't think Payton will be here anyway.

quickccc

Reaction score
Payton will HC here because not only does he admires the Cowboys organization so much, not only is he already very well familiar and acquainted with the Jones from past upfront personal experience..

Like it or not, this is still " America’s Team " , ..it’s still carries the ground breaking traditional stigmata and hype of the most popular NFL team in the world, and the most popular team in sports history. It still sells sold out crowds, and monster TV ratings.

There’s no one, no team in sports sells like The Cowboys do. And Jerry the phenomenal, unique business genius he is, further adds to the vast marketability and popularity appeal.

Thus a chance to head coach the Cowboys, as well as to be handsomely paid by Jerry, .. it’s still a coach’s dream job, despite the likely management interference and do our bidding/demands risk.

:cool:

JBS

Reaction score
Let me ask you this. What makes you think Quinn isn't that guy? I think he is. As I laid out, the changes on this defence are not by accident or coincidence in my view. To me, it looks like a plan is actually in place. It looks to me like Jerry is actually listening to Quinn. As such, our defence looks night and day compared to Marinelli and Nolan. If Quinn had continues improving that side this year and keeps as someone who the team seems to respond well to, why shouldn't he be that guy?

Quinn might have the footballing ability to be a good coach. Just not in Dallas. He doesn’t have the alpha dog personality to push the Joneses around. It’s one thing to have a big say in the room, and he probably does right now. But that’s not enough to fix the issues in Dallas. Maybe im wrong on Quinn , but he doesn’t give me those vibes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Payton will HC here because not only does he admires the Cowboys organization so much, not only is he already very well familiar and acquainted with the Jones from past upfront personal experience..

Like it or not, this is still " America’s Team " , ..it’s still carries the ground breaking traditional stigmata and hype of the most popular NFL team in the world, and the most popular team in sports history. It still sells sold out crowds, and monster TV ratings.

There’s no one, no team in sports sells like The Cowboys do. And Jerry the phenomenal, unique business genius he is, further adds to the vast marketability and popularity appeal.

Thus a chance to head coach the Cowboys, as well as to be handsomely paid by Jerry, .. it’s still a coach’s dream job, despite the likely management interference and do our bidding/demands risk.

:cool:

But, Jerry is also acquainted by now with Quinn, who was magnificent last year, and, if he's magnificent again this year, it'd be unwise to overlook him. Also, if we want to keep Micah Parsons, I suggest we keep Quinn.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Quinn might have the footballing ability to be a good coach. Just not in Dallas. He doesn’t have the alpha dog personality to push the Joneses around. It’s one thing to have a big say in the room, and he probably does right now. But that’s not enough to fix the issues in Dallas. Maybe im wrong on Quinn , but he doesn’t give me those vibes.

Counterargument, it may not necessarily fix all the issues, and maybe no coach can and we're wasting our time and energy being fans, but, that said, I think he might be enough to win in spite of Jerry. To me, the difference is what he values, which I think Jerry does seem to appreciate and approve of. The results spoke for themselves on defence last season. If this is consistent, even Jerry would have to concede that Quinn is right. Mind you, the Bengals just made it to the Super Bowl, and their ownership is arguably as bad and as controlling as Jerry. Perhaps Quinn has that ability to make the difference here without being an in your face coach like some want. Plus, wouldn't it be better if he's a coach that makes a big difference and gets along with Jerry? Say he pulls a Jimmy Johnson with this team, hypothetically. Wouldn't it be better if he actually gets on with Jerry so he can stay longer term?

tunahelper

Reaction score
Any coach in Dallas needs Jerry to stop playing GM, so they can have the authority that is required to steer the ship.

Until JJ steps down we will suffer the same fate as the last 26 years.

quickccc

Reaction score
But, Jerry is also acquainted by now with Quinn, who was magnificent last year, and, if he's magnificent again this year, it'd be unwise to overlook him. Also, if we want to keep Micah Parsons, I suggest we keep Quinn.

The franchise QB of the club is gonna come first, imo. Jerry will want the coach that has the best chance with Dak Prescott.

If something happens to where Sean Payton is out of reach (such as Saints wanting a Jon Gruden like trade package to get Payton's rights)
- the Cowboys could quickly decide to go with Quinn as new HC.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Payton was one of the highest paid HC's in the league, Booger going to pay him more?

When Payton coached in Dallas Parcells was the HC, the last one to have any power in Dallas. He has no clue for what it is to coach for the Cowboys now.

In New Orleans, Payton made all of the usual HC announcements, think he'd be on board with this clown act in Dallas? Think he's going to be a Jones sandwich at pc's with him as the bologna and them the bread?

But if you are still on the Payton wagon, you need to do yourself a favor. Go back and look at the end of the "Non Call PI" playoff game to several plays before that play happened. Tell me you want that guy calling plays at the end of a tight playoff game. Right before that play happened, both Aikman and Buck were asking each other "what is he doing"? It was as if he had no idea what the situation and score of the game were at the time. That one play kept him from some very embarrassing questions.

There was a very good reason why he was demoted by Fassel in NY and they righted the ship once he wasn't calling plays, he's in love with his plays. That's what he was doing in that playoff game, showing off.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Any coach in Dallas needs Jerry to stop playing GM, so they can have the authority that is required to steer the ship.

Until JJ steps down we will suffer the same fate as the last 26 years.

I agree that it would be helpful. However, I think Quinn has a better chance of being impactful here. Plus, what he brings to the table, imo, is more impactful as a great defence, especially in the playoffs, is arguably slightly more important than a great offense. If you have to go to Lambeau in the playoffs, it's important you have a top defence to win that game. We have a coach that can bring that and seems to be swaying Jerry.

JBS

Reaction score
Counterargument, it may not necessarily fix all the issues, and maybe no coach can and we're wasting our time and energy being fans, but, that said, I think he might be enough to win in spite of Jerry. To me, the difference is what he values, which I think Jerry does seem to appreciate and approve of. The results spoke for themselves on defence last season. If this is consistent, even Jerry would have to concede that Quinn is right. Mind you, the Bengals just made it to the Super Bowl, and their ownership is arguably as bad and as controlling as Jerry. Perhaps Quinn has that ability to make the difference here without being an in your face coach like some want. Plus, wouldn't it be better if he's a coach that makes a big difference and gets along with Jerry? Say he pulls a Jimmy Johnson with this team, hypothetically. Wouldn't it be better if he actually gets on with Jerry so he can stay longer term?

At this point, this fan base just wants to win one more time. We can talk about long term success once we achieve success first.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The franchise QB of the club is gonna come first, imo. Jerry will want the coach that has the best chance with Dak Prescott.

If something happens to where Sean Payton is out of reach (such as Saints wanting a Jon Gruden like trade package to get Payton's rights)
- the Cowboys could quickly decide to go with Quinn as new HC.

Well, again, with Jerry, they seem to value building through the draft, so giving up a 1st to begin with I'd imagine is a nonstarter. Additionally, my point with Dak is that a defencive coach like Quinn could be better for Dak. Think about Belichick and Brady.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
At this point, this fan base just wants to win one more time. We can talk about long term success once we achieve success first.

I've never seen us win one, but, I've seen how others have done it. Also, I've seen how we've had success on the past. What Landry and Jimmy had in common were that they were defencive-minded coaches. The value they placed on the trenches was invaluable. Think about it this way also. Do we have the Doomsday Defence without a great Dline? No. Do we build the best defence in the league in 92 without a great Dline? No, that's why Charles Haley was brought in. What about oline? Guess what Quinn seems to value. That'd where I think this team can turn that corner, and I think Quinn may be starting to drive those points through Jerry's thick skull.

davey999

Reaction score
Why would he come to Dallas? Won't be money. Won't be control (won't get it). Need to win? No. It's a pipe dream.