CFZ Why I don't think Sean Payton is coming to Dallas

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’ve given several reasons why Sean Payton won’t be coming here. One big reason is he’s already dealt with Jerry Jones when Payton was an assistant under Parcells. He already has a pretty good idea what life as a Cowboys head coach would be like.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Why would he come to Dallas? Won't be money. Won't be control (won't get it). Need to win? No. It's a pipe dream.

I agree that he won't come, and this thread was me making the case for why it wouldn't make sense from a Cowboys perspective either, besides the obvious reason with Jerry.

JBS

Reaction score
I've never seen us win one, but, I've seen how others have done it. Also, I've seen how we've had success on the past. What Landry and Jimmy had in common were that they were defencive-minded coaches. The value they placed on the trenches was invaluable. Think about it this way also. Do we have the Doomsday Defence without a great Dline? No. Do we build the best defence in the league in 92 without a great Dline? No, that's why Charles Haley was brought in. What about oline? Guess what Quinn seems to value. That'd where I think this team can turn that corner, and I think Quinn may be starting to drive those points through Jerry's thick skull.

you think we have a good defensive line? They’re not very good

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
you think we have a good defensive line? They’re not very good

I think it's better than what we have had since Wade left, and I think it's heading in the right direction. I like the plan that Quinn seems to have, and taking Ridgeway and De Williams, to me, are signals that Quinn seems to value what I think we want. Now, if he can help Jerry to see the value in a second round NT, that'd be great. However, I think Ridgeway has the potential to become quite the player. I like what we got with him.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He wanted to come here at the end of the 2019 season before we signed McCarthy. A trade was in place. So I think Payton would wanna come here but I just have a feeling it’s Quinn’s job next after McCarthy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He wanted to come here at the end of the 2019 season before we signed McCarthy. A trade was in place. So I think Payton would wanna come here but I just have a feeling it’s Quinn’s job next after McCarthy.

And, if Quinn keeps improving this defence, then I think he SHOULD be the next HC. Like I said also, it's time imo to try something new at HC.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I like Payton but don't want him here, think he's a bit overrated. When McCarthy is done here, Quinn is the most likely candidate, but depends on what happens between now and then.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let me help you. His plan was not to coach any team. Maybe that changes but I doubt it and even if he decided to coach again it's not here.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Let me help you. His plan was not to coach any team. Maybe that changes but I doubt it and even if he decided to coach again it's not here.

I agree, and I don't think he will coach again. Even if he did, not only would he not coach here imo,.but I don't think he should.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree, and I don't think he will coach again. Even if he did, not only would he not coach here imo,.but I don't think he should.

You don't leave the organization where you are a legend and can dam near do whatever you want to then come join this circus of an organization. This is where coaches go to die 9career wise).

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I know there's consensus among some that Payton is just going to pack his belongings and move to the Cowboys because he lives in Dallas. While this is intriguing, this does not make sense to me. Here are the reasons:

1. Say what you want about Mike McCarthy, but I like the job he's doing. Yes, his clock management isn't great, but he's still much better than Jason Garrett. Remember, this is the same franchise that had Garrett for about 10 years as a HC. Not to mention the time he was the OC here as well. That's a lot of cleanup Mike had to do, and I think the team is getting better. There definitely seems to be a plan to me.
  2. Sean Payton would cost to much. Remember, he's under contract still with the Saints, and the Saints have made it clear they'll want at least 1 first round pick in exchange. That's not a good move imo. Yes, Sean Payton is a solid HC. However, I don't think he's worth that.
  3. What makes you think Sean Payton WANTS to coach here? Yes, we have a lot of talent. However, let's not forget. Payton HAS coached here. He knows Jerry Jones. How do you know he'd even want to come here?
  4. If Mike didn't work well, why would Sean? Both coaches have had a HOF-QB, and only managed to win one SB. What makes Sean special where Mike isn't?
  5. Most importantly, even if we do move on from Mike, there is a better option imo in the Cowboys own organisation than Sean. Dan Quinn is the man that I think would make the most sense. Think about it. There is a clear change in philosophy on defence. The players are much younger, quicker, and nastier. The team drafted Parsons last year, who is a completely different breed of LB than the Cowboys have had since maybe DWare, who Garrett gets no credit for drafting as he was not here. Prior to that, the best defencive player aside from DWare and Parsons was Charles Haley for the Cowboys. The secondary is taking more chances and are attacking the ball. This NEVER was as prevalent on this team under Garrett, especially under Marinelli. That's no coincidence. That's a change in style and tactics. That's a front office that's listening and respects the opinion of Dan Quinn and clearly believe in him as a coach and, as seen on the defence last year, for good reason. Oh, and let's not forget he was the interim coach against the Saints, and he put on an absolute clinic that game. I think Quinn is the next HC, and rightfully so.
  6. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. We've done consecutive offensive-minded HCs in Garrett and Mike. Sean would be another of that mindset. Maybe it's time to try a defencive-minded approach at HC. Mind you, the Cowboys, with the exception of Dave Campo, we've done well with that mindset, especially one that values trenches like Quinn does. Landry did well, obviously. Jimmy Johnson was a defencive-minded coach. Bill Parcells is another, and Wade Phillips did well with us. Perhaps it's time to return to those roots with Quinn if we get rid of Mike.
In conclusion, maybe it's time we change our approach to coaching. I think it's time we go defencive-minded, and we don't have to look to another team for that. We have one here that's done wonders to our defence.
I don't think he comes here because of the draft compensation it would require.

quickccc

Reaction score
Well, again, with Jerry, they seem to value building through the draft, so giving up a 1st to begin with I'd imagine is a nonstarter. Additionally, my point with Dak is that a defencive coach like Quinn could be better for Dak. Think about Belichick and Brady.

That's a very extraordinary rare and unique combination with Belichek and Brady -those are two sure fire first ballot HOF'ers and the best ever at their positions.
.. .what's another current example that's different than those two ?

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
A question , In what other line of business does the employee tell the owner what to do ? I really think fans who want that are being unrealistic. Dallas is the most recognizable franchise in Sports (like it or not) it's a fact.

It is not a publicly traded company, it is owned by Jerry Jones and he set the tone ..... period!

Good luck with someone coming in here and is gonna tell Jerry and after him Stephen what to do

stuckindc

Reaction score
Frankly, I don't think the latter stages of the Falcons situation was entirely his fault. He has an aging QB who's best days were long behind him, and that D was still very good. I think giving him Dak Prescott, a much younger QB who's best days are, imo, still ahead of him would do wonders for both Dak and Quinn.
He was an UFB comeback buy the greatest QB and Head coach away from being a Super Bowl coach.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't think the latter stages of the Falcons situation was entirely his fault. He has an aging QB who's best days were long behind him, and that D was still very good. I think giving him Dak Prescott, a much younger QB who's best days are, imo, still ahead of him would do wonders for both Dak and Quinn.
Key there would be who is running the Offense?
I think that Jerry believes that Moore is the answer but I don't think so.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinn has had a pretty close view of coaching for the Joneses and he decided to stay with the Cowboys. I think that speaks volumes about his intentions were the job to be offered to him.

And I think when it comes to McC, Moore or Quinn, Quinn wins the respect around the league hands down.