CFZ Why I have optimism for the coming year

starfan1

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the free agents lost and the lack of signings but a look at the position groups shows that this team might actually be better than the last following the draft and free agency.

CB - lost Gilly gained Diggs - backups gained some experience. If Diggs is fully healed this group could be better than last years even with no additions.

S - lost Kearse Thomas and Bell gained experience. Wilson and Hooker still here. Could easily be better than last year.

LB - lost Vander Eshe gained Hendricks and Overshown and will likely draft another plus Clarke will likely be moved to his natural position. I believe this group will be clearly better.

DT - lost Hankenson and Gallimore. Mazi and OSA are the starters and we will likely add 1 in the draft. If Mazi shows any improvement and the draftee does anything this group could easily be better

DE - lost Fowler and Armstrong. Sam Williams is the key here. It’s time for him to step up. If he reaches his potential even this group could be better. I suspect a FA will be brought in late here as well.

Punter kicker and long snapper will be the same

WR - lost our number 3 but he provided nothing. Tolbert gained a year of experience. We will likely add another. Cooks is more familiar with the offense and the chemistry with Dak seemed to improve as the year went on. This group could easily be better

TE - lost no one. Shoenmaker should contribute something and Stephens will be back. This group should be better.

RB - lost a pretty good one but he was recovering from injury and had his worst year as a pro last year. Will likely add one in the draft early. I fully expect the rushing attack to be improved.

QB - as much as we like to speculate Dak will be here so no change here.

OL - we lost two starters here and this is the one group that could possibly be worse but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s see what it looks like following the draft. C can easily be improved. Replacing Tyron is harder but his availability was always in question. The key to this group might be the RT. If he can return to form him and Martin were opening huge running lanes at one time. I can remember Dak taking a QB sneak for about 20 yards because the right side of the line just blew people up. Even this group has a shot at being improved.

There is hope. IMO
Love the optomism. It wont sit well around these parts your supposed to be a woe is me Im a dallas fan and I deserve better type fan. They do have a a shot next year as well but they do need to fill a few weakness in the draft then grab a AFTER DRAFT FA as well

Mikexike

Reaction score
No chance the team is better in 2024. They might possibly improve in some areas, but overall Dallas will have lost far more talent than they gained- regardless of how successful they are in the draft. Dallas will be lucky to make the playoffs.
What talent did we lose? Guys were either jags or injury prone....

JonesBoys

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the free agents lost and the lack of signings but a look at the position groups shows that this team might actually be better than the last following the draft and free agency.

CB - lost Gilly gained Diggs - backups gained some experience. If Diggs is fully healed this group could be better than last years even with no additions.

S - lost Kearse Thomas and Bell gained experience. Wilson and Hooker still here. Could easily be better than last year.

LB - lost Vander Eshe gained Hendricks and Overshown and will likely draft another plus Clarke will likely be moved to his natural position. I believe this group will be clearly better.

DT - lost Hankenson and Gallimore. Mazi and OSA are the starters and we will likely add 1 in the draft. If Mazi shows any improvement and the draftee does anything this group could easily be better

DE - lost Fowler and Armstrong. Sam Williams is the key here. It’s time for him to step up. If he reaches his potential even this group could be better. I suspect a FA will be brought in late here as well.

WR - lost our number 3 but he provided nothing. Tolbert gained a year of experience. We will likely add another. Cooks is more familiar with the offense and the chemistry with Dak seemed to improve as the year went on. This group could easily be better

TE - lost no one. Shoenmaker should contribute something and Stephens will be back. This group should be better.

RB - lost a pretty good one but he was recovering from injury and had his worst year as a pro last year. Will likely add one in the draft early. I fully expect the rushing attack to be improved.

OL - we lost two starters here and this is the one group that could possibly be worse but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s see what it looks like following the draft. C can easily be improved. Replacing Tyron is harder but his availability was always in question. The key to this group might be the RT. If he can return to form him and Martin were opening huge running lanes at one time. I can remember Dak taking a QB sneak for about 20 yards because the right side of the line just blew people up. Even this group has a shot at being improved.

There is hope. IMO
There are a lot of if's here. Bottom line is they are going to need to have a very good draft and one that will have at least few contributing right away.

Chasing6

Reaction score
A couple of months back I tried to view the roster in a similar manner. Then, after 10 minutes, reality smacked me upside the head.

Most would consider Diggs being back an upgrade over Gilmore, but remember, Gilmore was brought here to pair with Diggs and the Cowboys were dang lucky that move was made. Picture a scenario where Bland gets injured and ruled out for the season with the current next man up being either Nashon Wright or the highly coveted Eric Scott Jr. Yikes…that’s scary.

At DE I felt pretty good when a rested Armstrong and/or Fowler came into the game. Now, we’ve got the talented Sam Williams and that’s about it. So, if Sam’s playing for an injured Micah or D-Law (bound to happen), who’s the next rotational man up? Don’t think we’re scaring anyone with Golson, Wheat, or Fehoko coming off the edge. Be prepared for Micah’s body to start the seasonal wear-down a week or two earlier due to excessive playing time.

At DT Hankins wasn’t a world-beater but I had a modicum of comfort knowing he was there. Now it’s up to Big Maz and OSA and some guy named Carl Davis Jr. God help us!

At O-line let the shell game begin. Who we gonna get, and who’s playing what position? There isn’t a scenario the guarantees us a better O-line following the draft for at least the 2024 calendar year. If 31 teams went comatose and we drafted Barton and Mims, you still couldn’t guarantee that those two would make the team better than what we had last year.

At TE could Schoonmaker be any less effective? No. So that group should at least hold the status quo just like the receiving group. Can’t imagine Tolbert being less effective than Gallup last season but as a trio they’re not making DB’s shake in their boots. Thank goodness for CD.

RB please. We’ll be drafting one and who knows how that’s going to work out.

In recent weeks we’ve all jumped at drafting various positions discussed in the Draft Forum. Coveting players at as many positions as you have draft selections is usually a recipe for draft disappointment. If we exit Detroit with 3 legit players, that will be a home run. For arguments sake, let’s say our first three picks are Guyton, Brooks, and Sweat (cuz we need a 2nd rounder off injury & a Tipsy McStagger that dropped). It could be argued (on paper) that the starting line-up may be able to produce similar results to last year. However, be prepared for the spiral once one or two get injured or if our draft picks perform like last year’s crop.

Bottom line – optimism is well and good, but the reality is probably going to sting just a bit. You may want to temper the expectations just a tad.
I really think a lot of teams have no idea how talented someone is until they are forced to play them.

How many high draft picks end up a bust and how many talented players seem to come out of nowhere once forced into the lineup.

Just look at the Trance and Purdy situation.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
What talent did we lose? Guys were either jags or injury prone....
Tyron Smith
Tony Pollard
Dorance Armstrong
Neville Gallimore
Johnathan Hankins
Tyler Biadsz
Michael Gallup
Stephon Gilmore

There is zero chance Dallas can replace that amount of talent in the draft, or via next man up philosophy.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Tyron Smith
Tony Pollard
Dorance Armstrong
Neville Gallimore
Johnathan Hankins
Tyler Biadsz
Michael Gallup
Stephon Gilmore

There is zero chance Dallas can replace that amount of talent in the draft, or via next man up philosophy.
I still don’t see talent on that list, Most of the talent are well past their prime. The rotational guys are a dime a dozen.

Sydla

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
There's a lot of wishful thinking here.

Basically this is the same logic we use every offseason............. if everything goes right (Mazi improves a lot, Overshown comes back 100% healthy, Diggs comes back 100% healthy, rushing attack will be improved with a rookie, etc.)

We know from experience that everything doesn't always go right for us. I suspect one of Diggs or Overshown will struggle coming back from injury, if not both. The reality is that many players coming off serious injuries often take a year to find their groove again.

rambo2

Reaction score
I really think a lot of teams have no idea how talented someone is until they are forced to play them.

How many high draft picks end up a bust and how many talented players seem to come out of nowhere once forced into the lineup.

Just look at the Trance and Purdy situation.
Or is it Lance and Turdy.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Yep, optimism for the coming year means that the Cowboys PR department is doing it's usual stellar job. Buy more jerseys man......more merch....more tickets.

Flamma

Reaction score
I still don’t see talent on that list, Most of the talent are well past their prime. The rotational guys are a dime a dozen.
That's the perfect description of what we lost. Most will be replaced after the draft.

Flamma

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
I guess you can call this optimistic. I think we'll be a very similar team to last year's team. I do not expect an improved team, or better results. I think we'll win 10-11 games. I say that because our schedule looks tougher. But the home and away games are favorable to us.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I'll put it this way. Will be lucky to win 10 games this year.

They lost to much talent. Zimmer will need to dig deep, to salvage that defense.

mathew1184

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
I sure want to agree with you and you make some great points, but this offseason has been
one of, if not the lowest point since I watched us lose rose to Carolina in 96. It’s been demoralizing. I hope we are in contention but I have pretty much lost faith until otherwise

1942willys

Reaction score
No one on this team can replace much of anyone on that list and show any evidence they are as good or better
Takes a rose colored glass the size of Texas to be optimistic

rambo2

Reaction score
...I'll put it this way. Will be lucky to win 10 games this year.

They lost to much talent. Zimmer will need to dig deep, to salvage that defense.
They will be lucky to win 12 games. They should win 10.