Why I Think Next Season Looks Promising

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
1st - Kellen Moore, yeah that's right, I said it. This dude is still very young in terms of coaching experience. He turtled up when the big boys took the gloves off but he'll learn and he'll evolve. I bet he comes back with a vengence next year.

2nd - Dak, he'll be the main benefactor of Kellen's growth. I also think that leg hampered him more than we know, so the much needed rest should help.

3rd - We can't keep force feeding Zeke can we? Tony has out played him for 2 years. We gotta give him the rock. Or is management trying to make sure his 2nd contract is affordable? I can't imagine any other reason to not have him touch the rock more. I think it happens next year.

4th - Our schedulde (of course things change year to year). It didn't look tough before Brady retired, but now the Bucs aren't so scary. Does Rodgers leave GB too? If he ends up in Denver that's 2 HOF QBs we get to dodge.

Does it all add to a playoff victory or 2? Who knows, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Just my random thoughts while I wait for 5 oclock on what has been a far too busy day in the office.
1. KM - His "vengeance" or any other emotion won't make him a better coach.

2. Dak - His main problem is mental. He plays scared and when pressured tries too hard which forces errors. Sure, the rest will help him as it would help any QB, but his mindset will remain. The QB coach and KM do him no favors by not addressing Dak's mental game.

3. Zeke - Since our season ended, it has been revealed Zeke was playing hurt. When hurt, it is wrong to force-feed him. When healthy he is a good RB. He'll heal this offseason and return ready. As for TP, he is a fan favorite but he's not a replacement for Zeke.

4. Schedule - Dodging certain oppositional players is not the answer. Getting good enough to beat those certain players is the answer. At this time we don't even know where Aaron Rodgers will be playing next year so you can't bank on "dodging' him.

Nothing you've said here adds up to any playoff victories. You're just fooling yourself to think otherwise.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The OP reeks of desperation. He's hanging his hat on Kellen Moore, Dak Prescott and the chance that we will get lucky and not have to play against certain players in the regular season.

ESisback

Reaction score
A fan can only do three things…IMO…

1)speculate
2)hope
3)enjoy or be miserable

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st - Kellen Moore, yeah that's right, I said it. This dude is still very young in terms of coaching experience. He turtled up when the big boys took the gloves off but he'll learn and he'll evolve. I bet he comes back with a vengence next year.

2nd - Dak, he'll be the main benefactor of Kellen's growth. I also think that leg hampered him more than we know, so the much needed rest should help.

3rd - We can't keep force feeding Zeke can we? Tony has out played him for 2 years. We gotta give him the rock. Or is management trying to make sure his 2nd contract is affordable? I can't imagine any other reason to not have him touch the rock more. I think it happens next year.

4th - Our schedulde (of course things change year to year). It didn't look tough before Brady retired, but now the Bucs aren't so scary. Does Rodgers leave GB too? If he ends up in Denver that's 2 HOF QBs we get to dodge.

Does it all add to a playoff victory or 2? Who knows, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Just my random thoughts while I wait for 5 oclock on what has been a far too busy day in the office.

I think you do a very good job of accentuating the positives for the upcoming season. Not to rain on your (or anyone’s) parade, but we also have some things going against us such as a bad cap situation, tough roster decisions, and a number of free agents that we’re likely to lose.

Something else to consider is our head coach situation and the potential that McCarthy is in fact a lame duck, keeping the seat warm for Sean Payton. Whether real or perceived, it could have a negative impact on 2022.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, it's all about aggressive play calling and play making.

If Moore plays conservative focusing on short throws and comebacks most of the time or if Dak is afraid to throw the ball to receivers running vertically away from the protection of the sidelines, it will be more of the same as it was this season with a few extra losses as the other NFC East teams improve some over this past season.

I think back to Jon Kitna telling Dak to grip it and rip it and to take more shots downfield. The man wasn’t wrong and I think Prescott has regressed from that and become too risk-averse again.

When he was aggressive- and especially when he knew he had a free play due to a defensive penalty - the results were most often pretty good.

And we have to threaten defenses to keep them honest and from pressing our receivers and the live of scrimmage. If you don’t make them fearful, they won’t be.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Is it though? That's the thing about time and space, you're feelings and perceptions are free to change with circumstance. There is no start date for "How you feel about next season".

This time and in this place, with all that I know (or think i know) I feel optimistic. If next week a meteor takes out Micah Parson's neighborhood then my feelings will regress in that time and space, with that knowledge. If that same meteor takes out Jones' village instead and we have to hire a new GM my optimism shoots through the badly oriented windows in the stadium. It's all relevant.

I doubt religious people weigh their chances of taking the elevator up vs down only in old age.

The majority of the fan base isn’t going to be optimistic because the team once again burned the fans and most don’t believe Dak is the answer. Just look at all the Dak hate on the board. We found out this season it’s going take more than Parsons to get it done. Our record is not likely to be as good next season. The overall team may not be as good. Had it not been for a weak division we may not have made the playoffs. We swept the NFC East and faced a number of very average QBs. Not trying to be negative but I wouldn’t get my hopes up for next season.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think you do a very good job of accentuating the positives for the upcoming season. Not to rain on your (or anyone’s) parade, but we also have some things going against us such as a bad cap situation, tough roster decisions, and a number of free agents that we’re likely to lose.

Something else to consider is our head coach situation and the potential that McCarthy is in fact a lame duck, keeping the seat warm for Sean Payton. Whether real or perceived, it could have a negative impact on 2022.
Cowboys nation will be highly invested in Jabril Cox progress.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Every year following a year the cowboys won the nfce in this millennia they have missed the playoffs the following year....that sucks
I know, Ive been paying attention

BermyStar

Reaction score
The majority of the fan base isn’t going to be optimistic because the team once again burned the fans and most don’t believe Dak is the answer. Just look at all the Dak hate on the board. We found out this season it’s going take more than Parsons to get it done. Our record is not likely to be as good next season. The overall team may not be as good. Had it not been for a weak division we may not have made the playoffs. We swept the NFC East and faced a number of very average QBs. Not trying to be negative but I wouldn’t get my hopes up for next season.
You don't sound negative at all to be honest. You sound like you aren't very optimistic for next season, but you've given perfectly sound reasons for feeling that way. Hopefully the offseason gives reason to cross our fingers and hope against hope.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Hope springs eternal....but reality tends to always come to the forefront
Perfect example of this team last season

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
True. Or any linebackers that the team may draft in 2022.
I will start my annual investment into the 2022 draft shortly, but just want to come away with best at position available in this draft.
We have several areas to target, so we could draft the highest rated Guard early at this point and would be a need.
Just havent built a solid board yet, start working next week on the talent tier and how it ranks in this draft class for starters.
Have to hit with current draft picks and potential/soon to be losses, on at least 3 starters via draft or FA to even stay somewhat competitive.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will start my annual investment into the 2022 draft shortly, but just want to come away with best at position available in this draft.
We have several areas to target, so we could draft the highest rated Guard early at this point and would be a need.
Just havent built a solid board yet, start working next week on the talent tier and how it ranks in this draft class for starters.
Have to hit with current draft picks and potential/soon to be losses, on at least 3 starters via draft or FA to even stay somewhat competitive.

I’ve started playing around with some mock draft simulators as a fun introduction. Thus far, linebacker and TE are abundant but both offensive and defensive linemen dry up quickly.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You don't sound negative at all to be honest. You sound like you aren't very optimistic for next season, but you've given perfectly sound reasons for feeling that way. Hopefully the offseason gives reason to cross our fingers and hope against hope.
Jerry wants you to buy one of his new caps.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I’ve started playing around with some mock draft simulators as a fun introduction. Thus far, linebacker and TE are abundant but both offensive and defensive linemen dry up quickly.
OL and especially DL always do, and I do reference simulations to catch a prospect that might have escaped my view, but individual prospect breakdown vs position of greatest relevance is an equation that usually corresponds closely with
whats on WMs board.
Been using the same system since McClay was first introduced, and Ive been satisfied with the very similar focus.
Not saying I name the next draft pick, but I am about 75 percent on positional group through most of the rounds... 6-7 gets tricky...:D