Why is Jerry destroying his Legacy?

blueblood70

Reaction score
The saddest part of Jerry's "legacy" is that early-on in his ownership, he relied upon Jimmy Johnson as his GM/HC and did all he could to take credit for the years that Jimmy guided the Cowboys to excellence. Sadly, the GM title was Jerry's but only in name but not in performance. The Super Bowls that followed Jimmy's activities as the acting GM were his, much to the chagrin of Jerry and his self-awarded title of GM. Jerry will always be remembered as an affective owner and a horrible GM. Jerry tried as best he could to take the full credit for Jimmy's decisions to no avail. Once Jimmy left, things gradually de-escalated into a lesser product on the field, despite much of the talent left over from Jimmy's reign.
The very word legacy means it can't be taken away literally everybody knows who he is everybody knows his success he had early on they don't take lombardis from him they don't expire and this is all nonsense Jimmy Johnson would have never been here had he not had a relationship with Jerry Jones Jerry bought the team Jerry founded the team he hired Jimmy to do just that and it worked out well for both of them but once they split apart neither had the same success I mean you act like bill Parcells or these people that came through here like Jimmy Johnson and somehow when they left continued their success and showed how much better they were without Jerry Jones meddling..

Seriously I don't have time for this I got a busy Monday here in the HVAC world but I could tell you this let's go back to those 90s you remember that team that went to four straight Super Bowls the Buffalo Bills yeah what happened to them ohh that's right they still haven't won a Super Bowl I don't think they've been back to a Super Bowl and I think they've only been to one AFC championship game and all that time all these teams for all 32 teams have yet to catch up and go past the 90s teams that Jimmy and Jerry built but without Jerry they were never been a Jimmy in the NFL I almost guarantee it... Let me drop this I don't know what you want to call it just my view and perception of what would happen Jimmy Johnson would not have stayed past the time where the rest of his players where retiring and getting injured and leaving the team therefore with a lot of proof like bill parcels, Jimmy doesn't stay in one place very long, need for new challenge etc, jimmy Johnson would not have won anymore then we did when we continued with his team and Switzer got the last one.. I know the breakup looms large and all the dreamers think this would have been closer tot he NE run but it wouldn't have Troy , ike and ES all got old quick and the end was near.. the writing was on the wall and Jimmy would have left around the same time frame as the last SB IMHO.

so in my humble opinion, this would happen the same way, regardless of the breakup or not.

But even if there was they would not have the same success you cannot go back in time and try to recreate a scenario in which the blueprint can work like it did especially with the Herschel Walker trade and all that other stuff that would not have happened with another team...

They work very well together but since 1989 let me keep reminding folks how the NFL Jerry Jones and that Dallas Cowboys team have three titles since 1989 and since that time only the New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs have three or more that's it and the Dallas Cowboys have never moved off their third all time in Super Bowl wins because again it it's not that easy this is a circle eventually it will come back but teams like the Kansas City Chiefs took 52 years to get back to a Super Bowl not 28 and I realized the NFC championship game thing is gonna come because of the drought because you are trying to find ways to make this a big deal about Jerry and the way he's a GM but all these other GM struggle to beat the Dallas Cowboys especially in the regular season literally the Dallas Cowboys are one of the top regular season teams even since the year 2000 when all this mess started, I think they're like 11 all time but in the last 10 years they were top 6IN winning percentage and I'm betting the last three years we're top five in regular season win percentage and it could be much worse than being in the playoffs 5 in the last eight years somehow his inept and senile ways he's tripped into beating a whole bunch of regularly developed structured teams in the NFL you know with a real GM and an owner who doesn't get involved and blah blah blah...

Don't get me wrong early on did make a lot of mistakes,

the man has now 35 years experience running a professional football team he's been around a lot of successful football coaches and GM's he stepped back a lot the last five years and really if you look at what's happened the last three years they've been now the most consistent winning that we've had since the 90s he's allowed his people below him to make most of the decisions now he's just a mouthpiece he likes to talk he likes the attention he gets being able to discuss and be very prideful of the Dallas Cowboys..

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
His legacy is cemented. Hall of Famer, Super Bowl winner…..everything he did for the league….hes gonna go down as one of the best owners to ever be in the NFL
Owner, yes, he's made a ton of money, and made the NFL a ton as well.

As GM ? History will not be kind to him, and frankly he will have earned it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can't figure this guy out .... at all.

28 years of not making the NFCCG puts us with Deadskins as the only 2 teams in the NFL in that category of futility.

I know the money is flowing in, but is that how Jerry wants to be remembered ?

I mean he has has enough money to last a 1000 lifetimes, doesn't he want to be remembered as a winner?

How hard would it be to hire a professional GM and see if that can't turn things around ?

I wonder if Jerry has any sense of mortality?

Then you got the whole "ALL IN" comments, then he sits on his hands this off season.

I don't have anything personally against the man, I just hate that he is destroying the team I have loved my whole life.

I can't remember being this discouraged in an off season.
He’s not interested in winning unless he’s the man, the face of the franchise. It’s why he parted ways with Jimmy after back to back championships.

I’ve pretty much given up after I realized Jethro’s agendas a couple decades ago. You have to adjust your expectations like any apathetic fan.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Owner, yes, he's made a ton of money, and made the NFL a ton as well.

As GM ? History will not be kind to him, and frankly he will have earned it.
You’re not concerned if you’re living out your dreams . It’s the ultimate example of selfishness. And his legacy will be a mixed bag. A marriage gone bad.

Despite his ridiculously arrogant egotistical embarrassing stranglehold on football operations he still has 3 Rings and HOF induction.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
The very word legacy means it can't be taken away literally everybody knows who he is everybody knows his success he had early on they don't take lombardis from him they don't expire and this is all nonsense Jimmy Johnson would have never been here had he not had a relationship with Jerry Jones Jerry bought the team Jerry founded the team he hired Jimmy to do just that and it worked out well for both of them but once they split apart neither had the same success I mean you act like bill Parcells or these people that came through here like Jimmy Johnson and somehow when they left continued their success and showed how much better they were without Jerry Jones meddling..

Seriously I don't have time for this I got a busy Monday here in the HVAC world but I could tell you this let's go back to those 90s you remember that team that went to four straight Super Bowls the Buffalo Bills yeah what happened to them ohh that's right they still haven't won a Super Bowl I don't think they've been back to a Super Bowl and I think they've only been to one AFC championship game and all that time all these teams for all 32 teams have yet to catch up and go past the 90s teams that Jimmy and Jerry built but without Jerry they were never been a Jimmy in the NFL I almost guarantee it... Let me drop this I don't know what you want to call it just my view and perception of what would happen Jimmy Johnson would not have stayed past the time where the rest of his players where retiring and getting injured and leaving the team therefore with a lot of proof like bill parcels, Jimmy doesn't stay in one place very long, need for new challenge etc, jimmy Johnson would not have won anymore then we did when we continued with his team and Switzer got the last one.. I know the breakup looms large and all the dreamers think this would have been closer tot he NE run but it wouldn't have Troy , ike and ES all got old quick and the end was near.. the writing was on the wall and Jimmy would have left around the same time frame as the last SB IMHO.

so in my humble opinion, this would happen the same way, regardless of the breakup or not.

But even if there was they would not have the same success you cannot go back in time and try to recreate a scenario in which the blueprint can work like it did especially with the Herschel Walker trade and all that other stuff that would not have happened with another team...

They work very well together but since 1989 let me keep reminding folks how the NFL Jerry Jones and that Dallas Cowboys team have three titles since 1989 and since that time only the New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs have three or more that's it and the Dallas Cowboys have never moved off their third all time in Super Bowl wins because again it it's not that easy this is a circle eventually it will come back but teams like the Kansas City Chiefs took 52 years to get back to a Super Bowl not 28 and I realized the NFC championship game thing is gonna come because of the drought because you are trying to find ways to make this a big deal about Jerry and the way he's a GM but all these other GM struggle to beat the Dallas Cowboys especially in the regular season literally the Dallas Cowboys are one of the top regular season teams even since the year 2000 when all this mess started, I think they're like 11 all time but in the last 10 years they were top 6IN winning percentage and I'm betting the last three years we're top five in regular season win percentage and it could be much worse than being in the playoffs 5 in the last eight years somehow his inept and senile ways he's tripped into beating a whole bunch of regularly developed structured teams in the NFL you know with a real GM and an owner who doesn't get involved and blah blah blah...

Don't get me wrong early on did make a lot of mistakes,

the man has now 35 years experience running a professional football team he's been around a lot of successful football coaches and GM's he stepped back a lot the last five years and really if you look at what's happened the last three years they've been now the most consistent winning that we've had since the 90s he's allowed his people below him to make most of the decisions now he's just a mouthpiece he likes to talk he likes the attention he gets being able to discuss and be very prideful of the Dallas Cowboys..
I need to know if anyone is reading this. One of the things I do is write tutorials and I get dressed down for even half this text. Probably less...yikes

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I don’t like how he’s run things either, but destroying his legacy?
  • 3 Lombardy trophies.
  • Taking a struggling organization and moving it to the most lucrative business in all of sports.
  • Changing the way the NFL operates and helping to make it the beast of professional sports and its owners all much richer.
  • Inducted into the Hall of Fame.
His legacy is secure no matter what he does at this point.
He started out great, as you well documented.
BUT, since then, 28 straight years of futility.
And, the trajectory this team is presently on, its looks we will be adding that number.
This is tainting that initial legacy for sure, IMHO.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You’re not concerned if you’re living out your dreams . It’s the ultimate example of selfishness. And his legacy will be a mixed bag. A marriage gone bad.

Despite his ridiculously arrogant egotistical embarrassing stranglehold on football operations he still has 3 Rings and HOF induction.
But what will be the lasting impression the fans will have of Jerry?
Are they gonna remember the 3 SBs from the last century ?
Or 30 years of futility ?
When you think of Al Davis, how do you remember him ?

Sydla

Reaction score
Can't figure this guy out .... at all.

28 years of not making the NFCCG puts us with Deadskins as the only 2 teams in the NFL in that category of futility.

I know the money is flowing in, but is that how Jerry wants to be remembered ?

I mean he has has enough money to last a 1000 lifetimes, doesn't he want to be remembered as a winner?

How hard would it be to hire a professional GM and see if that can't turn things around ?

I wonder if Jerry has any sense of mortality?

Then you got the whole "ALL IN" comments, then he sits on his hands this off season.

I don't have anything personally against the man, I just hate that he is destroying the team I have loved my whole life.

I can't remember being this discouraged in an off season.
Arrogance and greed.

That's it.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
His legacy is that he made himself and many others tons of money and brought endless publicity to the league. He is a contributor. That is the only reason he is in the pro football HOF. Not football accumen.
Not football accumen.

Agreed....

Always trying to show he's a football man, and leaving tons of proof, that sadly, he's not.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree but he’s blurred the lines so much…he never really had a legacy as a GM. I think Jimmy gets credit for those teams. Maybe I’m off base there.
Jimmy does get a lot of credit for those teams and frankly I think that's what has driven Jerry all these years to continue to be the face and GM of the football operations. He is desperate to be known as a football guy. When ESPN did their documentary on him, it was clear that being "accepted" as a football mind and not just a rich guy who is an owner of a NFL team is what drives and consumes him.

So when Jerry has to listen to people say it was Jimmy as the driving force behind those early/mid 90s teams, it pissed him off. He's spent the last nearly 3 decades trying to prove that it was he who should get credit for those teams as he is a football savant himself. He's failed. Miserably.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If he is not doing actual GM work (and he better not be at 82 years old), then why keep the title?

That tells you all you need to know.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Jimmy does get a lot of credit for those teams and frankly I think that's what has driven Jerry all these years to continue to be the face and GM of the football operations. He is desperate to be known as a football guy. When ESPN did their documentary on him, it was clear that being "accepted" as a football mind and not just a rich guy who is an owner of a NFL team is what drives and consumes him.

So when Jerry has to listen to people say it was Jimmy as the driving force behind those early/mid 90s teams, it pissed him off. He's spent the last nearly 3 decades trying to prove that it was he who should get credit for those teams as he is a football savant himself. He's failed. Miserably.
He's failed. Miserably.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

fivetwos

Reaction score

Exactly right.

If he had anything at all to do with building those 90s teams as some want to claim, why is he so adamant about still trying to prove himself into his 80s, and why hasn’t he been able to come close since?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He started out great, as you well documented.
BUT, since then, 28 straight years of futility.
And, the trajectory this team is presently on, its looks we will be adding that number.
This is tainting that initial legacy for sure, IMHO.
The best thing Jerry ever did for his team was hire Jimmy Johnson and let him run things regarding personnel and coaching. Once Jerry decided he could do it all himself we were doomed in the long run. That is the saddest part to me. Because having a strong HC who has full authority is the way this team won under Jimmy.

Like him, love him, dislike him or just tired of him, Jerry has proven over three decades “his way” doesn’t create rosters that can win in the playoffs. There’s just no argument there. In the “cap era” Jerry has proven he’s incapable of even once putting a roster together that is championship caliber.

Honestly it’s sad. Jerry is now surrounded by sycophants who gaslight right along with him.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The best thing Jerry ever did for his team was hire Jimmy Johnson and let him run things regarding personnel and coaching. Once Jerry decided he could do it all himself we were doomed in the long run. That is the saddest part to me. Because having a strong HC who has full authority is the way this team won under Jimmy.

Like him, love him, dislike him or just tired of him, Jerry has proven over three decades “his way” doesn’t create rosters that can win in the playoffs. There’s just no argument there. In the “cap era” Jerry has proven he’s incapable of even once putting a roster together that is championship caliber.

Honestly it’s sad. Jerry is now surrounded by sycophants who gaslight right along with him.
What is so sad to me is that this was so unnecessary.

All Jerry had to do was hire a decent GM, who would hire a quality HC, and with how good this team drafts, we could be in the hunt.