Why is Jerry destroying his Legacy?

fivetwos

Reaction score
McClay is the GM. Jerry just has the title. I don't get some of you guys... we constantly have one of the best rosters in the league. Jeezus. Thus place is assinine
So then why not give McClay the title and absolute power?

We all know why, and just maybe some of us don’t believe that lies add up in the end, coach.

He wants to get up in front of the mic and pretend he is something he isn’t.

Yep they have had some good rosters, but if I’m wrong, then why do they find monumental ways to lose in the playoffs…first to blow a one seed, first to do it twice, first to lose a 2/7 game, key drives stalled by penalties not called in a decade, calls that force immediate rule changes?

Maybe it’s because lies don’t cut it in the end and there’s a dynamic that exists that assures it. We can all believe what we like yes? I have no other way to explain it, other than maybe inferior coaching, which also leads back to our subject.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I want to win Super Bowls not just make Championship games.....that is mediocre...now do the number of teams that have won a Super Bowl in the last 30 years and how many didn't...that is the right stat...don't just pick an arbitrary stat and judge someone against it. No one remembers how many championship games were made and lost to help with their legacy....just means you still can't win the big one. Once you determine who has consistently won Super Bowls over the years, then see what was the thing that put them over the top.....
Sadly, my standards have lowered, I just want to see progress at this point.

kskboys

Reaction score
So then why not give McClay the title and absolute power?

We all know why, and just maybe some of us don’t believe that lies add up in the end, coach.

He wants to get up in front of the mic and pretend he is something he isn’t.

Yep they have had some good rosters, but if I’m wrong, then why do they find monumental ways to lose in the playoffs…first to blow a one seed, first to do it twice, first to lose a 2/7 game, key drives stalled by penalties not called in a decade, calls that force immediate rule changes?

Maybe it’s because lies don’t cut it in the end and there’s a dynamic that exists that assures it. We can all believe what we like yes? I have no other way to explain it, other than maybe inferior coaching, which also leads back to our subject.
Au contraire. We don't have good rosters, we have some good players. Good rosters don't lose in the 1st round every year. Good rosters don't leave gaping holes at DT, RB, OL, and previously at S. Can't mistake a good roster for a few good players.

visionary

Reaction score
My Garrett hate was a joke and anyone with half a brain knew that. And, I never rooted against him.
Garrett Sucks!
So then you supported Garrett?
Youre an ex coach and you supported this guy for 10 years who no other team would hire and is now completely out of coaching?

I always say: when someone shows you who they are, believe them

LOL, thanx for clearing that up

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So then you supported Garrett?
Youre an ex coach and you supported this guy who no other team would hire and is now completely out of coaching?

LOL, thanx for clearing that up
I knew Garrett personally, I didn't like him as a person, but I supported him as our coach. I always wanted him to win.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You “think”
LOL, not one single person who understands football gives Jerry any credit for those SBs
Not one
And Jerry knows it and it kills him but his money is more important

That’s actually why we will not have a real GM while he is alive, because what if (gasp) the Cowboys actually do better with the GM? Well, that will expose his ignorance even more

We are not getting a real GM until Jerry takes a dirt nap
Jimmy didn’t hire himself though. Cowboy fans hated Jerry for firing Landry.

Bagman

Reaction score
Can't figure this guy out .... at all.

28 years of not making the NFCCG puts us with Deadskins as the only 2 teams in the NFL in that category of futility.

I know the money is flowing in, but is that how Jerry wants to be remembered ?

I mean he has has enough money to last a 1000 lifetimes, doesn't he want to be remembered as a winner?

How hard would it be to hire a professional GM and see if that can't turn things around ?

I wonder if Jerry has any sense of mortality?

Then you got the whole "ALL IN" comments, then he sits on his hands this off season.

I don't have anything personally against the man, I just hate that he is destroying the team I have loved my whole life.

I can't remember being this discouraged in an off season.
Great post, man. Every word spot on. I think a lot of us ask these questions. It's just infuriating to realize that Jones is an old, drunk, stubborn mule worth billions and has control over something we all love.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Au contraire. We don't have good rosters, we have some good players. Good rosters don't lose in the 1st round every year. Good rosters don't leave gaping holes at DT, RB, OL, and previously at S. Can't mistake a good roster for a few good players.
Yeah I can agree with that, but wasn’t at all the point of that post. They have been good enough to take advantage of the ineptitude of Washington and New York, etc.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Destroying his legacy? lol His team hasn’t won anything in 30 years but the Cowboys continue to become more popular and richer every day and Jerry is in the Hall of Fame.
When you've won the money awards each of the years, what does it really matter! Money is everything, winning is dead last

visionary

Reaction score
Jimmy didn’t hire himself though. Cowboy fans hated Jerry for firing Landry.
Jerry hired Jimmy for one reason, Jimmy was his friend. Not because he thought Jimmy was this great HC, it just so happened Jimmy was great

This is who Jerry has always been, nepotism over competence

visionary

Reaction score
I knew Garrett personally, I didn't like him as a person, but I supported him as our coach. I always wanted him to win.
LOL, “wanted him to win” as if other Cowboys fans didnt

the rest of just understood he was an incompetent HC and were willing to say so

Unlike you apparently who just personally disliked him but couldnt see that he was incompetent

I pity the kids you coached

Sydla

Reaction score
McClay is the GM. Jerry just has the title. I don't get some of you guys... we constantly have one of the best rosters in the league. Jeezus. Thus place is assinine
LOL.

One of the best rosters in the league "constantly" and yet for 28 years we haven't sniffed a conference title game.

It's not bad luck either. The rosters tend to be overrated by many here. Jerry, the GM, has also done a bad job at hiring coaches.

McClay is just a super scout. He makes none of the decisions - that's Jerry and Stephen.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Can't figure this guy out .... at all.

28 years of not making the NFCCG puts us with Deadskins as the only 2 teams in the NFL in that category of futility.

I know the money is flowing in, but is that how Jerry wants to be remembered ?

I mean he has has enough money to last a 1000 lifetimes, doesn't he want to be remembered as a winner?

How hard would it be to hire a professional GM and see if that can't turn things around ?

I wonder if Jerry has any sense of mortality?

Then you got the whole "ALL IN" comments, then he sits on his hands this off season.

I don't have anything personally against the man, I just hate that he is destroying the team I have loved my whole life.

I can't remember being this discouraged in an off season.
what Legacy? the failure is his legacy. our success was Johnson's legacy.

Jerry is what he is. a business man, whose only interest is making money and not championships. he is now senile in the Al Davis mode and this franchise will continue to sputter. the sad thing is Stephen is probably worse. so we are the Cubs. perhaps no championship for 99 years. this is year 29. buckle up.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, “wanted him to win” as if other Cowboys fans didnt

the rest of just understood he was an incompetent HC and were willing to say so

Unlike you apparently who just personally disliked him but couldnt see that he was incompetent

I pity the kids you coached
You don't know anything about my coaching career so sthu. I pity your entire family for having to live with a miserable man.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah these are some of the most ridiculous comments ever he has no football acumen the dude was on a national championship team he actually played football in college I know it wasn't big time college but it was Arkansas it was with Jimmy Johnson this would have never happened without Jerry Jones he has three titles on his own Tom Landry and bum bright whoever else that management was had two titles in the same span yeah they won a lot of games but they also lost big games the Pittsburgh Steelers own them they made mistakes you remember the catch game I mean listen the other ownership wasn't that much better it's about titles right Jerry has three the other regime had two if my math is right....

Jerry's already got a Hall of Fame jacket but he knows something about football why because he played, I guarantee high school and college football at a higher level than you or anybody in here you show me all the professionals in here, because if not Jerry's resume says he has a national championship ring from college football regardless of how much of A player he was or not he played football he bought this team because of his passion for football, ohh and by the way you think being around football people for the last 35 years here in the professionals at all ranks that work for him and under him that he's picked up nothing ?? he's learned no on the job training at all??

the man knows nothing about football is what you're saying, dude take that nonsense out of here I'm sick of it you can't know nothing about football if you played high level football in high school and college is that on the team, and not just an owner in the background at GM who is very close to the operations on a daily basis you're saying these are nothing the dude knows more about football than anybody in here, I guarantee it just because you think he wants to be a coach and doesn't coach that he wants to medal, no the dude's a talker, he likes publicity the man has a big ego and lots of billionaires have big egos...

I don't want to hear this anymore don't tell me about he has no football acumen when the man has done more than I've been anybody else in here and I know there's a few coaches and people who played high school football and some that may have been decent college football players but show me the list of people in here that discuss Cowboys football that have a national championship ring from college and that's lived in the daily operations of a professional football team around football people for 35 years you show me anybody in here that's done that?​

It's rhetorical because I bet you can't...

He may not be the best GM that does crazy things like Howie Roseman but he's put together and been around plenty of championship teams and he's kept this team winning games enough that he's so relative that the league continues to give the Dallas Cowboys all the primetime games they can Max out on, it's made social media make sure they mention the Dallas Cowboys and all their content, and all the sport shows don't go a day without mentioning the Dallas Cowboys, regardless of how you feel about that Jerry still has a winning product on the field if the last three years doesn't show that we're a top six team, you know 36 wins ,two division titles against Howie Roseman and his awesome Eagles team that goes All in all the time ,but doesn't have much to show for, and add five playoff appearances in the last eight years..

So,

whatever Jerry doesn't know he definitely has people under him that know and by the way he's not the GM anymore and he hasn't been he's been a GM by title for quite a while guys like will McClay & a committee of very smart people work for him.. he's a businessman, he knows how to put together management in layers and layers of people who are smarter than him at certain things he doesn't know... if you don't think you could build a business that is how you build the corporation and that's how he's built the Cowboys.

And I get it we want more we want an NFC championship game appearance, we want another Super Bowl ,but don't act like Jerry Jones knows nothing about football and has the Cowboys sucking every year because they don't they're better than about 28 other teams in this league because all those teams with these great football people are not even beating the Dallas Cowboys on a regular basis and that includes the Eagles everybody slobbers over, all the moves and how active the Howie Roseman is and by the way go check out the Kansas City Chiefs you by the way beat it Eagles and the 49ers, who have been all in for quite some time and can't seem to get past the team that's done less and less every year ,

the Kansas City Chiefs have made less moves than the Dallas Cowboys that's a fact they pretty much run it NFL team very much like the Dallas Cowboys and most other teams in the NFL if you think all teams do what the Rams only did once do what the Eagles seem to try to do and the 49ers everybody else runs their team with less risk they're not gambling they're not going all in so all this nonsense about Jerry just not knowing anything about football and that's why the Cowboys are just about money hasn't been watching.. Go look at their regular season win percentage you can't not know what you're doing and put together a top six team in the NFL, who's had some of their best success since the 90s the last five years.

Don't get me wrong I'm not putting Jerry in like top management GM ownership type but he for sure deserves some more respect than he gets in here, I for sure putting him in the top ten because our team outside of the lack of playoff success has remained relative and that's because they're still winning, they're not just over marketing a bad team... Yes they fell short but it could be much worse we could be one of those teams like the Cleveland Browns who haven't even won a division title since 1989,

so let's get over all this other nonsense about him not having football acumen because I guarantee he does,

his ego may keep him from giving people credit where credit is due and it may cause some problems but he no longer medals in the everyday operations of coaching he listens to his people he lets people draft who they want for the most part I mean we have proof of that he wanted Johnny Manziel and didn't get him that's just one example of many,

so let's just get over it he's not perfect he's not the best but he deserves more respect than people sit here and mutter out there very amateurish mails you know nothing on the level that he does you let me know when you get a $10 billion team and have it since 1989 and have a Hall of Fame jacket have a national championship ring and three Super Bowl titles along with the fact that he's kept the team in the top 10 in winning percentage in the regular season but we're right now on top five lately there's 32 teams in the league saying Jerry doesn't know anything about football somebody always staying ahead of those normal GM's and teams and ownership somehow he's remained at least good enough to be better than them...
This is utter drivel.

It's not exactly a coincidence that when he had Jimmy, he won. And once Jimmy and the teams he built got dismantled and Jerry assumed full control of all football operations that the team flailed.

I mean holy crap, we aren't talking about a few years here. We are talking about decades of evidence here. The moment the Aikman/Smith/Irvin dynasty shrivel up in the late 90s, Jerry has had full control of the team and he's delivered one of the most futile postseason runs we've seen in the NFL (especially given the fact we are considered one of the cornerstone franchises in NFL history). Trying to sell Jerry as some football mind is idiotic given the evidence.

Oh and he's not in the Hall of Fame for being a GM. He's in the Hall of Fame for being an owner that was a driving force in making his team and the NFL the money making machines they are.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL.

One of the best rosters in the league "constantly" and yet for 28 years we haven't sniffed a conference title game.

It's not bad luck either. The rosters tend to be overrated by many here. Jerry, the GM, has also done a bad job at hiring coaches.

McClay is just a super scout. He makes none of the decisions - that's Jerry and Stephen.
Yet you are still here spreading misery. Have fun

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry hired Jimmy for one reason, Jimmy was his friend. Not because he thought Jimmy was this great HC, it just so happened Jimmy was great
I couldn’t disagree with a comment more than that one. Jerry and Jimmy weren’t actually friends they were just roommates because their last names began with J. You might want to check out A Football Life with Jimmy. He was a great college coach. He won a national championship which is why Jerry hired him.